The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Approach to tuning?
Whip Lashaway

Monterey, Tenn, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2002 5:06 am    

I was just thinking about this and was wondering what the rest of you think. I look at my guitar as a whole. I mean, my tuning and pedal setup. I see it all as one complete system. I've known guys who only see the tuning, the pedals are just a way of changing the tuning. Like each pedal or lever represents a different neck on the guitar. I hope I'm making this clear. I guess since I am a post pedal player and learned with them, they are just an extention of my tuning. I do play without the use of pedals for certain effects, ie:dobro simulation, but I don't typically look at my guitar as a 17 neck guitar!! How do you guys view your guitar?
Whip

------------------
Whip Lashaway
Sierra E9/B6 12 string
Sierra E9/B6 14 string

Dr. Hugh Jeffreys

Southaven, MS, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2002 2:50 pm    

For Whip - When I compress one or more P/L, or all 4 together, or 2 together: it's about like taking your 10 fingers and playing a chord on a piano. That's as simple as I can explain it. ... Hugh

Wayne Cox

Chatham, Louisiana, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2002 9:49 pm    

Most of the time,I view E9 as a whole concept,not as E9,B6,orA6,etc. However,on some specific tunes,I tend to think in a different tuning or mode. e.g...I play "Midnight in Amarillo"on the E9 neck,in the key of A. When doing this,I tend to think in terms of an A6 tuning. I used this tune as an example,but truthfully,I don't get to to play Western Swing tunes much anymore. Nowadays it is mostly R&B and Southern Rock. On that stuff,I still haven't figured out what mode I'm in. Maybe I'm in a hibernation mode,now;just waiting to awaken to a Spring of Western Swing!~~W.C.~~

Whip Lashaway

Monterey, Tenn, USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2002 6:56 am    

Thanks, I was just curious. Whip

------------------
Whip Lashaway
Sierra E9/B6 12 string
Sierra E9/B6 14 string