The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New MSA's tone is superb!
Bill Simmons

Keller, Texas/Birmingham, AL, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2002 8:58 pm    

I just spent over three hours at my friend Tom McDonald's home playing his new MSA. I took my favorite steel to compare it to the MSA for tone, sustain, etc. After the first 5 minutes it simply confirmed what I thought before...it's major strength -- besides being an extremely well designed and classy looking steel -- is the sustain and clarity, especially from the 12th fret and higher.

What a delight to play above the 15th fret and higher and have the steel respond with such sweet sustain! It made you want to play in 'Hughey land' and not shy away from the higher frets.

As I've mentioned many times before, all the major steel companies are building wonderful steels. However in my opinion, the new MSA is rapidly establishing a new standard for quality and tone. Thanks Tom McDonald for letting me play and play and play your new MSA!! What a steel. Bill Simmons

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2002 9:52 am    

So Bill does this mean we will see a whole host of your great used steels for sale on the the Buy and Sell section? It would be a great way to get some cash to buy a new MSA or two. HA HA HA

Larry Behm

John Hawkins

Onalaska, Tx. on Lake Livingston * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2002 2:40 pm    

Bill ????

Check your E-Mail !

John

Ts McDonald

Arlington, Texas USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2002 3:14 pm    

"Wild Bill", did you "Check" your "E-Mail" yet?????!!!!!! Thanks,

------------------
Ts

[This message was edited by TS MCDONALD on 27 October 2002 at 03:15 PM.]

Bill Simmons

Keller, Texas/Birmingham, AL, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2002 4:53 pm    

Hey Larry...yes it would (will) be nice at the right time to purchase a new MSA! I'm attempting to postion my funds so I can purchase a new MSA and still keep one other brand that fits my playing style and is very different in construction.

This is a great time for steelplayers in that there are many super steel companies building great steels! I wish I could afford to have kept them all but I don't have the big $$$ that my friends John Hawkins and Tom McDonald have!!I Hey you two old rascals, I just replied to your emails as I was away most of the day. Tom...I will be talking to Johnny Cox tomorrow. Bill Simmons, Keller, TX

Kim West

Des Moines, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2002 5:50 pm    

does anyone have music posted played on a new msa, with the same tune played on a non-msa, for comparitive purposes? i'm surely not the only one who like to hear the differences.

[This message was edited by Kim West on 27 October 2002 at 05:50 PM.]