The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How Often
Dave Seddon

Leicester, England.
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2002 12:19 pm    

How often do all you Steelers in America get to see other Steelers play. On this side of the pond there are not that many steel players, and we are usually working at the same time. Since most of us are weekend players with full time day jobs, we very rarely get to see each other, or get to see other steelers play. On the rare occassion I get to see another steel player, sometimes only twice a year, it gives me a boost and renews my enthusiasm, at least for a while.
Do any of you get despondent if you don't get to see any one play for a period of time. Do you ever feel like giving up altogether, or do you get to see other Steelers all the time.
Cheers
Dave

chas smith

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2002 4:36 pm    

A few months ago I caught Ernest Bovine playing at Viva Fresh in Burbank where it was a small crowd consisting entirely of steel players. One of the plusses of living in The Valley (in LA) is there are a few players living in and around, and there still is a modicum of roots country music.

I think that because there aren't too many of us around, it contributes to our sense of community, plus we all know what we've gone through to get where we are, so there's the bond of common experience.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2002 4:53 pm    

Dave, it just depends on the area you're in. A quick check of Online Steelers shows that some areas (like Tennesee) have lots of players, and other areas (like Delaware) have very few.

Now that I don't play much, I get chance to see a lot more steelers! When I was playing 4-5 nights a week, I saw very few. The sad fact is that less than half the steelers I know are members here on the Forum. Likewise, less than half I know are listed at Online Steelers.

We're losing out...and they are too.

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2002 8:00 pm    

Over there in England you have MOE KABIR...a great steel guitarist with a BRAND NEW BIGSBY triple neck.......a young man with plenty of enthusiasm.
Here in the Pacific Northwest we have the good fortune to have the likes of "Tired Ole Eric" West; Doug Jones, Pete Burak and Larry Behm........ All great steel players. Gives us lots of players to watch and admire.
Why not establish a steel guitar convention for all of Europe. Invite Moe, Jussi and others to perfrom. You might be surprised at the outcome.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2002 5:05 am    

Hi, Dave

I remember having a similar feeling when I still lived in Britain, although I take my hat off to Gerry Hogan and his family - his, and their, commitment to his annual Festival in Berkshire over the last seventeen years meant that we all had a chance to see an American 'heavyweight' up close.

Now I'm here, other players are, admittedly, more accessible but, if I'm playing somewhere, there's probably not another steel guy on the same gig!

Back in the UK, six-string guitar was always my '#1' instrument, with pedal steel being a useful 'double'. Since coming here my priorities have completely turned around - my exposure to the wealth of fine players in the USA, and the fact that steel gigs have accounted for ninety percent of my work since I came here in '97, has firmly established pedal steel as my 'first love'!

------------------
Roger Rettig

[This message was edited by Roger Rettig on 24 October 2002 at 06:07 AM.]

Ian Finlay

Kenton, UK
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2002 6:25 am    

Moe is a good mate of mine - he used to be my bass player. He now plays bass with the Extraordinairs - and has a killer sound!

He phones me up to play steel at me, and I have to say he has great tone and makes a beautiful sound. Now I just have to get him to play on stage - 'cos he just WON'T! Shame.

Ian

Tony Harris

England
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2002 8:35 am    

When he does, please let us know!

Thanks.

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2002 3:54 pm    

Saluda S.C. is about 35 mi. from where I live and every three months they have a Sat. nite jam with local players and Sunday featuring a known artist.The next session will feature Joan and Johnny Cox.It will be the weekend of 11-17-02,don't miss this awsome couple.

Bill

------------------
Bill Ford