The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How high is a steel guitar seat
Harold Jack Baker

Ladora, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2002 2:45 pm    

I've built a steel and attached the legs that I've manufactured and I made them plenty long cause I didn't know how high to make them. Now I need to know how high to build a seat so I'll know how much to cut off the legs. It's kind of like the chicken or the egg. Which comes first. I sure would like someone to give me an answer. Thanks Harold "Texas Jack" Baker

------------------
Texas Jack

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2002 3:30 pm    

Jack,
Normal height for a chair or seat, according to cabinet makers and carpenter's rules, is 19 inches.Table height is 29 inches. Now, taking consideration of the height of your steel top, you can adjust accordingly. Some people have their steels tilted, so the back is taller. In order to fit longer legs under it. So, if your legs are long, you can make the seat height with the same 10 inch difference.Of course, padding on top of the seat makes it look higher, but, the height still stays relevant

Winnie Winston

Tawa, Wellington, NZ * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2002 6:41 pm    

How high is high?
How long is long?

The seat should be the right height for YOU. Your heels should rest comfortably on the floor, and there should be almost no suppor from the seat at the front of your legs.
If your ass is IN the seat and your knees are UP-- it is too low.

Winnie

Winnie Winston

Tawa, Wellington, NZ * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2002 9:05 pm    

I have measured.
Most seats are too high for me, as are most steels. I had Joe Kline shorten the legs on my by 1".
My seat has fairly firm foam. It is 19 3/8 high. I tend to sit in the front half of the seat.
The distance from the floor to the underside of my leg behind the knee is 18 1/4".

Winnie

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2002 5:02 am    

The seat height is critical. It should be set at a height to allow easy movement of your feet on the pedals and volume pedal. Once that height is determined,THEN you set the height of the steel, to allow easy movement of your hands, especially your picking hand.

Edgar Pro Case

McPherson, KS
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2002 6:59 am    

Industry Standard 21"

Post  Posted 1 Apr 2002 10:36 am    

Thanks Edgar-I just measured my antique piano stool and it's 21" -(I'm 6 foot tall.) And have to raise all my steels to 26" off the floor.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2002 3:08 pm    

The ideal heighth for a steel guitar seat is one that reaches from the floor to your butt.
Uff-Da!

Fred Jack

Bastrop, Texas 78602
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2002 6:22 pm    

bout $200-$250... regards, fred

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2002 7:01 pm    

...Irv said..."The ideal heighth for a steel guitar seat is one that reaches from the floor to your butt.".....

That's also the right height for the girls from Lampassas! (Hank Jr.)

joe wright

Jackson, Michigan
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2002 7:29 am    

Every guitar and seat should be set up for the player. I'm 6' 2' and can't set at a guitar set-up for someone 5' 5"!!

The key is the left leg. When you sit at your guitar the hip to knee angle of your leg should be slightly downward. Keeps the ankle free to rock to the outside and inside moves.

ergonomics are extremely important on pedal steel...joe

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2002 8:02 am    

I like to have my seat up high. This way I can play downhill and those fast licks come easier. Also, I get better gas mileage!
Uff-Da!

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2002 11:11 am    

I don't know much but I do know this----the seat's legs should reach pretty much to the floor.

Having settled that issue, I have my own question. I'm trying to come up with this measurement for myself so I can place an order. The drum throne I've been using for years is set at 21". This is a very firm seat and compresses very little. How much should I account for cushion compression on a steel seat? I don't want to order a seat and discover that when my butt settles in I'm an inch or two too low. Any help?

Don Ricketson

Llano, Texas
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2002 12:09 pm    

Yeah Jon, get a Pro Seat that has adjustable legs.

Andy Alford

Post  Posted 19 Oct 2002 1:17 pm    

If its a seat it ought to be measured to be just right for you,if not get one where the legs will adjust.When Bob Simmons builds a pedal steel for someone everything is fit for them so that they play with ease,a seat should be the same.One size or length does not fit all.

[This message was edited by Andy Alford on 19 October 2002 at 03:15 PM.]

Edgar Pro Case

McPherson, KS
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2002 1:46 pm    

What it all comes down to after all the talk about an inch too high or low is that either you can play the instrument or you can't. I don't really care if it's 21" or 20" or even 19" because sometimes I play in boots and sometimes in flat street shoes and sometimes in tennis shoes. Why would I want to spend big bucks for adjustable legs on a seat? Do your dining room chairs at home have adjustable legs ? Point is that some folks put way too much time into thinking about stupid stuff and not enough time doing what they should be doing (Practicing). Back to the post, what good is any seat height if the seat manufacturer uses a crappy piece of cheap foam and as soon as you sit on it you sink in the foam and loose and inch or so? I still have a few old Sho Bud seats in the shop and an old Ace seat with old foam so you tell me, If the seat measures 21" from the floor to the top of the seat pad without me on it, then once I sit down I sink in 1 and 1/2 ", then what is the seat height ? Good Luck figuring this one out! WC Edgar www.toteseat.com PS next week we'll talk about why Black Formica guitars sound better than other color formica guitars.

[This message was edited by Edgar Pro Case on 19 October 2002 at 02:54 PM.]

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2002 1:57 pm    

Just so it's clear to everyone, especially you WC, I posted this before I emailed you directly. Your answer covered my question and I should have posted it here---that you use firm enough foam that if I order 21" then I'll sit at 21". This is not about "My seat is too low". "My beer is too warm". "My butt is too big". If it's there, I'll play it, drink it, sit on it. But before I lay out a couple of bills, I'd just as soon get it right. Thanks again for your help, WC.

-
-
-----oh---and your editted add-on is exactly what I was concerned about----I sat on a seat recently that was real soft and that's why I've been wondering about where this measurement might be taken. I must have sunk that extra inch and a half on this down-pillow pak-a-seat.

[This message was edited by Jon Light on 19 October 2002 at 03:01 PM.]

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2002 4:11 pm    

Jon, to get a accurate measurement, you could take a piece of plywood, lay it on the seat so it overhangs the side a little, sit down, then measure from the bottom side of the wood to the floor.

Here's my problem, Years ago, I cut a little off the legs of my seat, it's now about 19 3/4", it seemed to fit well with my MSA guitar. I still have the seat, but it seems a hair too low for my Emmons, I used to have to tilt the MSA forward a little, while the Emmons is more level. I can live with it, but once in a while I sit with a cushion on the seat, I'm thinking that it might need to be about an inch taller. Can I get a new set of legs? I should have said "legs for the SEAT"!

------------------
Bill Moore...
my steel guitar web page

[This message was edited by Bill Moore on 19 October 2002 at 05:14 PM.]

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2002 4:43 pm    

Hey Jack---I'm sorry everybody got to all the good answers before I read your post. Is this the old Sho-Bud Professional you're trying to fit under?

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2002 5:56 pm    

If The Seat Dont Fit.

You Must Just Quit

Thank you

Johnny Cochron

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2002 6:21 pm    

Aw, Jody...Jody...Jody

Rethinking my first answer, I think it is probably best if the seat legs stop just before they reach the floor.

And a final clarification----thanks, Bill, for the suggestion. But really the only question, asked and answered, was about the amount of give in the foam. I'd need to ask each specific seat maker. But I believe I'll be ordering one of WC's Toteseats----the versatility and size of the innards will meet my needs for carrying stuff like the Pod and its mounting brackets etc.----so his answer addresses my question perfectly.

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2002 6:55 pm    

I use a drummers throne with a "pnuematic" height adjustment feature. I can raise or lower my sitting position any way that is most comfortable.

Often in my playing days,,I was asked to stand up playing,the reason? It made for a
better picture overall,but with pedals,how can anyone stand?.

I find that app 21 or 22" is the most comfortable for me,,my Emmons sits about 29/1/2 to the height of the top of the neck.
(string height) at maximum.
The "pnuematic" feature is not popular among drummers,,but it works for me,,I can adjust as I please,,low or high..I tried a "pak a seat, and though it came in handy,I couldnt get used to it.

Jon,,I sit higher with the non pedal guitar as the effects I do are better executed in the higher sitting position,,,,,the pedal guitar however is a different story,,Im confined to
a standard height,,but as what has been said here,,,,its what is most comfortable for the player..Jon .Jon, Jon, but I still think of you be well

Jody,Jody,Jody,

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2002 7:49 pm    

After posting my comments,,I went to my guitar...this question as to how high or low
should a seat be is something I never gave thought to. When I bought my Emmons years ago
I dont recall Ron Lashley asking me what height I preffered as to the height of the guitar. I dont undertand what this question
is all about,,this simple thing becomes something of a complicated controversial issue, John DeMaille said it best as did Winnie.

We take into consideration the player or dont we consider that? If the player is tall or has long legs,,sure,the seat must be lower
and vice versa,,the shorter player must sit higher or a simple answer is,,"How can anyone
say how high the seat must be"? That depends
solely on the height of the player and the
length of the pedal rods dont it?.

Im not kidding when I say,,,if it fits..you play it and adjust the seat accordingly,.
So we all wear boots? do we play in Tennis shoes?,,how high are the heels?..I dont know
how to answer this,,its a simple yet complex
question,,like what size shoes do you wear? are you a D width? or EEE width?

Again John DeMaille an accompolished player as well as a fine carpenter who knows dimensions said it best,,,,re-read his comments,,though they are his opinion but I think John is giving the best overall opinion as to average table height etc etc.

Winnie has been building guitars since I was in High School,,his simple answer was much like John's..Its all what feel best to the player period.

I never knew what height Speedys seat was,I doubt that he knew himself..Tom Morell is another who comes to mind, ask him what height his seat is,,this is an interesting yet very complicated thread,,I dont really understand
it.I have been playing for years,,I never measured the height of my seat till just tonight after posting my last post.

I dont understand exactly what this has accompolished,,,other than everyone who reads this will take a tape measure and measure the seat height.

Im 5 ft 10 my guitar is (again) 29 1/2 inches to the very top of the strings. My seat is positioned at app 22" inches,,If I raise the seat,,it may feel a bit awkward to activate the knee levers..If I lower the seat
I have to re-adjust the seat until it feels
just right to me...so after all this,,read Winnie's comments,,he said it in one quick line,,ditto John De Maille and to sum it up.
They gave a simple answer to a complex question,,,,I cant relate to this Im sorry.

I play the way I play best and feel comfortable end of story,,,now players "Man your "yardsticks" and measure your legs.

No high heels allowed