The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  MSA "Millennium" 2/10/8/5"!!!!!
Ts McDonald

Arlington, Texas USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2002 7:25 pm    

Today, I received from "MSA" my "New Msa Millennium Black 2/10/8/5". I was unable to attend the "ISGHOF" meeting where these "Guitars" were introduced, but I had viewed the "Prototype" that "Reece" had been playing, which I thought was very "Nice". Today, certainly made me realize and understand what Johnny Cox and Tommy White had "Posted" regarding these truly "Exceptional Guitars". The "Craftsmanship, Attention to Detail, in my opinion is "Second To None", and I understand now that the "Positive Changes" that "Reece and the MSA Team" made to the guitar after the "Prototype" were exceptional. The "Tone, Sustain, Clarity, Warmth and Highs" almost defy description, but I would imagine those that have played this guitar most certainly understand my statement!!!!! I personally have never heard the clarity, tone, sustain, and separation that this instrument exudes from the 15th Fret up, Wow!!!!! The "MSA Millennium Team" have certainly done their "Homework" completely, and as I also play an "MSA "SS", this guitar is everything plus so much more. Someone had asked in another "Post" a few weeks back about tone, etc., I believe it is best explained by simply stating that this "Instrument" is exceptional in "Clarity, Tone, Sustain, and Separation with the "Warm Lows and Exceptional Highs", thereby encompassing both the best of the "Sho~Bud and Emmons" guitars, but with a "True Distinction of Separation with its own Distinctive, Distinguishable, Recognizable Sound!!!!! As I was able to "Personalize" my guitar, I suppose that you could say that I am totally "Impressed and Satisified" with my "Purchase" of what I percieve to be the "Finest" guitar that I have had the pleasure and privilege of "Owning" and "Playing"!!!!! I should have "Some Pictures" in this "Post" either later this evening or tomorrow!!!!! Thanks,

------------------
Ts

Bill Simmons

Keller, Texas/Birmingham, AL, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2002 8:09 pm    

Hey Tom!! Maybe we can connect Sunday since Johnny Cox and Pat Coyne are hanging out at my house for the weekend after Connie Smith show. We're all anxious to see, touch, feel, smell - OK yes, play the new MSA! Some guys are lucky to have two MSA's Bill
--------------------------------------------
'79 Zum; 92 Derby

John Hawkins

Onalaska, Tx. on Lake Livingston * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2002 8:39 pm    

Tom,
I want to congratulate you on the "Birth" of your new baby !!!

You have been patiently waiting for all these months and from the indication I get from your post , it has all been worth the wait .

I look forward to seeing the new MSA one of these days . I know you are now a happy steeler and I am very proud for you my friend !!

John

Richard Gonzales

Davidson, NC USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2002 12:01 pm    

Congratulations Tom!
I knew the Millennium was something special the first time I layed eyes on it.
I get my black S12 8/5 next month !!

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2002 5:33 am    

How would you describe the tone? Would you say it's got that bright trebly sound like an Emmons? Or is it more like the darker and mellower tone of the older MSAs?

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2002 2:48 pm    

Thats one ugly looking guitar! I'll bet it sounds pretty good though.

[This message was edited by Kevin Hatton on 22 September 2002 at 03:49 PM.]

Gil Berry

Westminster, CA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2002 4:51 pm    

Have you played with your new baby long enough to answer a couple of questions - first, one of the supposed improvements in the carbon fiber guitar was its immunity to temperature-change caused detuning. Can you comment? Second - were you happy with the promised delivery time??

By the way, Tom, I'm envious as h**l!

[This message was edited by Gil Berry on 26 September 2002 at 05:54 PM.]

David Farlow

Nevada
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2002 6:00 pm    

Tom,WOW!!! What a beautiful PSG. I have been looking at the MSA web site and this Millenium is one slick guitar. Since I am wanting to get back into playing the PSG and do not have one at present, I have been searching and reading about different ones. Of course, the Forum is a great place for this. Had pretty well made up my mind on a brand, not MSA, but now I am having to re-think this. Would have to save my $$ longer to afford one of the Milleniums but it might be worth the wait. Like others, I am interested in knowing how your experience was with the MSA folks and now that you have had the guitar for a few more days, do you still feel the same way about it. Not only the looks but all the high quality machining that goes into this PSG is hard to pass up. Sound wise, your description fits into what I like. What kind of amp are you using? Please let us hear from you when you can tear yourself away from that beauty. Thanks.
David Farlow

------------------

Steve Stallings

Houston/Cypress, Texas
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2002 8:10 am    

huh? Am I blind? I don't see any pics.....

David Farlow

Nevada
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2002 11:01 am    

Steve, there are several pictures of the Black MSA Millennium D10 on their(MSA)website,if you haven't already seen them. Should be similiar to the one Tom got recently. Still hope that Tom will post some of his own pictures.

------------------

ed packard

Show Low AZ
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2002 12:38 pm    

Gil;

Where did you get the info re the guitar's tuning not being affected by temperature change?

Kenny Davis

Great State of Oklahoma
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2002 2:23 pm    

Until Tom gets pictures up, look at MSA's site and imagine chrome legs instead of black, and some custom laser engraving on the top of his necks. He tells me that the tone and sustain beyond the 15th fret is incredible!

Kenny Davis

Great State of Oklahoma
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2002 6:16 pm    

History will be made this weekend! I've learned that the first gig west of the Mississippi for the Millennium will be Saturday night. Tom is on his way to play Borski's International Club & Resort in greater Willis, Texas. On occasion, he slips southward and becomes the 5th man of the "Borski Bandits".

He will be playing the new guitar through his Stereo Steel amp, and will report to us no later than Monday morning how everything went during the guitar's stage debut.

Gil Berry

Westminster, CA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2002 6:27 pm    

Ed, about this time (or a little earlier) last year Reese kinda' surveyed the forum about what features our "ideal" steel would include. Some (or several) of those desires have come to fruition with the Millenium. At that time, Reese started talking about carbon fiber guitars, and that one of the benefits of such a guitar would be its low thermal expansion, thus becoming more resistant to temperature caused detuning. It certainly sounds reasonable - I was curious as to how well this design feature worked out.

ed packard

Show Low AZ
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2002 6:56 pm    

Gil; If the "guitar" does not change with temp, and the strings do, the net result is detuning with temperature. Strings do change with temp, ..as the temp goes up, the strings will go flat. If the "guitar" expansion/contraction does not match the string expansion/contraction the tuning changes.

David Farlow

Nevada
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2002 7:14 pm    

Kenny, do you know if the gig Tom is playing at the Borski's Intl. Club and Resort in Willis TX. is private or open to the public? I would be interested in going to hear him play the new MSA Millennium. If it is open to the public, do you know what time it starts. Appreciate your help.

------------------

Kenny Davis

Great State of Oklahoma
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2002 12:06 am    

I just got a note from Tom, and it looks like he's having to cancel his Borski's gig due to a family situation.

David Farlow

Nevada
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2002 6:40 am    

Kenny, thanks for your post and personal e-mail concerning Tom playing this weekend being cancelled,also for the information on the new MSA Millennium.I sent you an e-mail but it came back as undelivered, not sure what happened. Also received an e-mail from Tom about this weekend. If another gig comes up I would apprecieate hearing about it. Hope and pray all is well with Tom's family.
Again, thanks for keeping us all informed. David Farlow

------------------

Rick Collins

Claremont , CA USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2002 6:52 am    

...anyone have the website address or a link to MSA?

Thanks in advance, Rick

Rex Thomas

Thompson's Station, TN
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2002 7:22 am    

http://www.msapedalsteels.com/
You can also go to the top of this page, click "links" then PSG "manufacturers", & get there that way.

[This message was edited by Rex Thomas on 28 September 2002 at 08:46 AM.]

Gil Berry

Westminster, CA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2002 11:04 am    

You are right, of course, Ed. However, we all know that metal frame guitars are much less temperature stable than are wood frame guitars (bet that statment starts a really caustic discussion)... Anyway, based on the guitars I have owned, it's certainly true. My old MSA classic D12 (which is a mostly wood guitar) is much less prone to temperature change detuning than is my Bagget, which is wood over metal frame with metal neck. I feel the expansion (or contraction) of the guitar accounts for more temperature-related detuning than does the string expansion or contraction. I have no proof other than to compare the PSG to a regular six string which seems to be much more temperature stable. All this aside, I was curious if Tom had noticed any improvement in temperature stability with his new Millenium as compared to his previous PSG. Thanks.

[This message was edited by Gil Berry on 28 September 2002 at 12:07 PM.]

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2002 6:38 am    

I still want to know what the guitar SOUNDS like. Does it have the dark tone of the old MSA guitars? Does it sound more like an Emmons? is it an entirely new sound unlike anything we've heard before?

Tom? Reece? Anybody care to weigh in on this?