The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ART Tube MP Studio Mic Preamp...Ever tried one?
Robbie Bossert

WESCOSVILLE,PA,U.S.A.
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2014 12:01 am    

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002E50MC/ref=s9_simh_gw_p267_d2_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=19SAT8HFES7HYHXV08D6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846

Has anyone ever run their steel through one of these or any other Tube preamp for that matter? If so, what were the results? I was thinking about picking this one up. It did get some pretty good reviews..

Robbie

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2014 2:19 am    

I've tried that and another ART Tube MP preamp. I wasn't impressed with either one. These are low voltage units and although it has a tube in it, its not a true (high voltage) tube preamp.

I have an ART PRO MPA II rack mount preamp that I use in my recording studio and it is a true High Voltage preamp.

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2014 9:06 am    

I've used them as a bass DI for recording. Not great, but not bad. Gets the job done.

Robbie Bossert

WESCOSVILLE,PA,U.S.A.
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2014 9:18 am    

Thanks guys....
Robbie

Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2014 10:53 am    

I use one in front of my Pod for recording and it works fine that way. I tried it in front of my amp and didn't like it. The Blackbox is the way to go. I wish I still had mine.

Tony

Daryl Thisdelle

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2014 2:46 pm     Pre AMP

Rob one only gets what he pays for. You will really never get a really top notch pre for the price of a low quality pre. One of the things ya have to look for in a pre is over head. One way to check the over head on a pre is play a bass guitar through it. Bass guitar requires a big over head to really get that deep bass sound. So if a pre that sounds really good when a bass guitar plays through it you probably got one of the better pre's out there, and it can be used in many different applications. A so so mic pre can only be played in a few situations and never really captures what is being played through it. One of the big 3 mistakes when starting to record is to not go out and spend good money on a mic pre. Nothing but nothing will make you sound any better than a good quality mic pre, spend the money on the pre don't skimp here. You will never regret it.. As your ears get educated on what really sounds good you will be glad to have gone out and spent the money on a quality mic pre.

Daryl
Williams 700 Keyless SD 12 String Universal Lacguer Body Wood Neck Alumitone Pick Up GD Walker Stereo Steel Amp Preamp Combo With 2x15 inch JBL Speakers In Tuned Cabinets, Hilton Digital Sustain Pedal, Telonics Volume Pedal. Steel Seat With Back Rest And Swivel And Adjustable Legs. George L Cables. BJS Bar. Nookies Thumb Pick National Finger Picks. Jagwires Petterson Strobo Plus HD Tuner

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2014 3:10 pm    

I have one of these preamps and the first thing you do is change the 12ax7 preamp tube and it's OK for trying different setups. Not great but not bad. Art also make a preamp like this with a voicing dial for about $15.00 more and it is a much
more flexible.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2014 2:35 am    

I tried NOS RCA 12AT7's and 12AU7's and although they have less gain it still was not very good. This is the typical "starved plate" design with low voltage so its not a true amplifier like a tube amp with high plate voltage. Its acting more like a cathode follower (buffer) circuit.

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2014 6:30 am    

I have to go with Jack on this one ..... There are so many of these "starved plate " setups on the market .....As soon as we see "Tube " in the tible we think that all tube amps and pre's are created equal ..... All you really have to do is think about how much $$ the products are selling for , and you can pretty much summize what kind of voltage is really going to this tube ..... For the lower cost pre's and amps similar to this , I would prefer a good sounding FET setup over tube ...They sound a lot better than the lower priced tube variety of pre's .....Jim

Jack,
Nice try on the RCA tubes , but like the old addage ....Put a pretty pick skirt on a PIg , and it's still a Pig !!..... Smile