The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bobbe Seymour RIP.
Gordon Borland

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2014 11:20 am    

Thank you Tom.
I was in Bobby's shop some years ago and the first thing that caught my eye was a big model airplane on a top shelf. I thought to myself I would sure like to be friends with this guy! I bet I would have gone home with that new MSA he had on the sales floor had he been there. I did buy his teaching material. From this forum and Bobby's newsletters I felt like he was a friend. I wonder what Maurice and Bobby are talking about up there. They both left a big mark on this earth and I miss them both. I am grateful that Tom will keep us up on this situation.

Roger Buchanan

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2014 8:26 pm     Bobbe Seymour

As Gary says, I pray that no stone is unturned, and that if there was foul play, it is discovered. I hope the staff can get back in to continue the business Bobbe started. I sure do miss him.

Tom Bradshaw

Walnut Creek, California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2014 3:14 pm     Update

For reasons unknown, after my post here on April 16th, none of my earlier sources of information returned my calls, while nothing I previously posted has been refuted. Regardless, your humble reporter pressed on, leading to the following:

The Hendersonville Police concluded their investigation in March, deeming Bobbe's death to be from natural causes. His body was released for burial and he was promptly cremated. The Hendersonville Funeral Home advised me that they handled the cremation and no memorial service has been scheduled at their facility. I was not able to learn to whom his ashes were released but strongly suspect it was to the girlfriend.

The Probate Court in Hendersonville has received a filing on 4-1-14 for the liquidation of Bobbe’s estate. It was filed by his girlfriend who is listed as the estate's Executor. She has an attorney. Anyone needing her attorney’s name is welcome to contact me for that information.

Thus, for any Forumite who might have something at Bobbe's shop for repair or any debts that Bobbe might have owed, a Creditor's Claim may be filed against his estate. The probate court will fax or email a claim form to anyone who desires one. The cost for filing the claim is $11.00. The form must be submitted in triplicate and the original must be notarized. The identifying information needed (besides the details of your claim) is Bobbe's name: Robert Seymour and Docket No. 2014PR-138. The address for mailing the claim is:

Sumner County Chancery Court
100 Public Square, Room 400
Gallatin, TN 37066
(615-452-4282)

According to the Court, four months is allotted for all Creditors' Claims to be filed. The estate executor must then file a detailed report listing Bobbe's assets and liabilities (the time-limit for filing the executor's report is not known). In the end, the Court will need to approve the Executor's report and direct her to pay all of Bobbe's debts that the Court deems legitimate. In the event that the assets of the estate are insufficient, the Court will likely approve a proportionate distribution of assets to each of the creditors. Following that, any remaining assets will be distributed in accordance with the provisions of Bobbe's Will.

Based on the above, my next report will not likely appear for several months. ...Tom

Last edited by Tom Bradshaw on 10 May 2014 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total

KENNY KRUPNICK

Grove City,Ohio
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2014 6:08 pm    

I hope Bobbe's store is reopened at some point soon. I want to buy some of his Cobra Coil steel guitar strings. About 10 sets each of E9th and C6th.

Edward LeVasseur

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2014 12:54 pm     Nashville Pedal steel Store

I hope we get to know if the same store is going to be reopened or who gets assets,I would like to buy some of Bobbe's instructional
material

Brian Henry

Post  Posted 9 May 2014 4:40 am    

I think we need to go easy on girlfriends and wives. Most are not interested in the steel guitar addiction. Johnny Fabians wife closed up the Carter shop, shop, ETS closed up shop and I don't know about Derby, but they too may have closed up shop. I think that our forum consists mainly of males membership, although we do do have some of the female gender who are players.

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 9 May 2014 9:37 am    

Hogwash. Any wife worth her salt will be interested in her husband's interests/hobbies, and will honor his wishes after his demise.

Brian Henry

Post  Posted 9 May 2014 10:24 am    

Good observation Alan,,perhaps most are not worth their salt?

Brian Henry

Post  Posted 10 May 2014 5:13 pm    

Here is a link to some pictures of Bobbe with his dogs.

https://www.steelguitar.net/peabie.html

Maybe, after all, a dog is man's best friend!

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 10 May 2014 9:40 pm    

A wife is not obligated to keep the business running just because her husband wishes that... If it is not in her interests in life that will not be an easy proposition, and most certainly fail...and it does not make her unsalty because of that. She deserves a life after her husband's death and does not have to marry the business .

Would you keep her hairdressing salon going just because that's what she wants, knowing that you know nothing about running that type of business. It's time to know when it's over and move on down the road.

Roy Heap

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 11 May 2014 12:36 am    

Very well said Larry and very true.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 11 May 2014 6:47 am    

Probably true but Bobbe didn't have a wife. He appears to have had an executor of his estate, who is obligated to carry out his wishes. Of course that didn't mean they have to run his business for the rest of their life. But all this talk about wives is misplaced in this instance.

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 11 May 2014 9:03 am    

Larry Bressington wrote:
...Would you keep her hairdressing salon going just because that's what she wants, knowing that you know nothing about running that type of business....?

Yes, I would. Especially if it was a going business with employees.
Even more so if it were one of the foremost businesses of its type in the world, serving the needs of many.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 11 May 2014 9:27 am    

It is so entertaining when people without a clue so totally know what other people should do/should have done and are so eager to share this special authority with the world.

Brian Henry

Post  Posted 11 May 2014 11:27 am    

Larry, I am with Alan on this. I wouldn't actually paint toenails and cut hair, but I would have no trouble managing the beauty shop, keeping the employees and maintaining the service as my wife wished.

Brian Henry

Post  Posted 11 May 2014 11:29 am    

Jon, if you read carefully you will see that Alan and I are saying what we would do, not what you', or anyone else would or should do!

Stoney Stonecipher

Knoxville, TN (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 May 2014 3:01 pm     my friend Bobbe Seamour

I'll never get used to seeing all our great Steel Guitar playing Buddys passing away! It's happening much to often in the recent past..I could write for days and never be able to say what Bobbe has meant to me over the years. His generousity and backing helped me build a great Steel Guitar show here in Knoxville, The Smoky Mountain Steel Guitar Jamboree. His presence and support was there on day one, and he was there for me the entire 22 years I produced the show. My deepest sympathy and Prayers go out to his family in this trying time.
My Dear friend Bobbe, may you forever REST IN PEACE.

Bob Maickel

Floral Park, NY
Post  Posted 15 May 2014 10:20 am    

The current PSGA Newsletter that we mailed to Steel Guitar Nashvile was recenetly returned to us as of May 5th 2014 with an address change, by the US Postal Service, The NEW address is listed as:

Steel Guitar Nashville, 1050 Glenbrook Way STE 480, Hendersonville, TN 37075-1249. It does not indicate that it is an active business/store location.

Jon Guirl

Millington TN, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2014 10:27 am    

1050 GLENBROOK WAY STE 480. HENDERSONVILLE, TN is a UPS Store.

The # is nothing more than a rented mailbox. Sad

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 16 May 2014 9:33 am    

Quote:
Any wife worth her salt will be interested in her husband's interests/hobbies, and will honor his wishes after his demise.

In this case, however, we are dealing with a girlfriend/executor..

C. E. Jackson

Post  Posted 18 May 2014 5:54 pm    

Bobbe Seymour was a friend of mine beginning in 2002 when I purchased a vintage 1936 Gibson lap steel from him. He enjoyed looking at and playing vintage lap steels. Often, he insisted on giving me CDs, Videos, and Instructional Materials.

Bobbe was an excellent lap steel and pedal steel player and Steel Guitar Hall of Fame Member. He will be missed by steel guitar players.

I have posted a link on Steel Without Pedals and Steel On The Web entitled "BOBBE SEYMOUR-MEMORIES OF MY VISITS WITH BOBBE" which you might enjoy.
A6 tuning for steels

Terry Niendorf

Boise, Idaho
Post  Posted 19 May 2014 4:49 pm    

I have enjoyed reading all of the personal stories you all have posted, and I would like to add mine if I may. In 2001 I flew myself and a friend from Albuquerque to Nashville to pick up my new truck. We checked into our motel and spotted The Nashville Palace within walking distance so went over to get something to eat. When I walked in I realized what this place was and on the bandstand was who I thought might be Bobbe. It was, of course, and we stayed till closing. When they finished I walked up to say hello to Bobbe. He was in the process of putting his steel in the case and it struck me strange somehow that here is Bobbe Seymour and he puts his steel away the same way as I do. He took the time to talk to me, and even gave me his current CD, for which of course he wouldn't let me pay for. I had told my friend that Bobbe might be one of the top five steel players working. As Bobbe was leaving he passed by us and he set his guitar down when I introduced him to my friend. My friend says to him "Terry tells me you are in the top five of steel players." Bobbe smiled at him and said "I"m number one." There were a few people within earshot, and we all had a good laugh. So Bobbe, you're still number one in my book.

John Brock

Xenia, Ohio
Post  Posted 19 May 2014 5:31 pm     Bobbe

Hard to believe. Another legend is gone. What a talent.My best to the family. I'll be on the GFI I bought from him. Thanks Bobbe....

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 21 May 2014 8:00 am    

Sad news. Even sadder knowing that his shop which I'm sure didn't come easy is being closed. At least sell the business to someone else.

Ahhh well...I guess being fair and all she has no obligation/interest in our instrument but I wish she would at least respect the effort enough to contact any of the forumer's/friends he Knew to assist the process. Surely that would be wise.

I'm sure if she were sincere she could get a better appraisal from his friends/forum members.

We all will definitely be going there but damn she is just cruel.
E13#9/F secrets: https://thelapsteelguitarist.wordpress.com

"Give it up for The Lap Steel Guitarist"

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 21 May 2014 9:15 am    

We don't know if someone has stepped forward or is in negotiations for the business. As it has been filed for probate it could take a while to go through the legal process.

However, it has been reported, on this forum, by at least two people that they were in the store including one on the day of his passing and both noted stock was depleted. Sounds like there isn't much left for liquidation.