The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bobbe Seymour RIP.
Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2014 9:31 am    

Shocked Confused Has anyone heard if they had Bobbe's funeral yet ? It's been a while now since he passed .

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2014 10:08 am    

I am shocked to say the least. I was just thinking of Bobbe. I've saved his Bobbe's Tips dating back 2007 when I started getting serious about steel, his site was the first I found. He sent me a few emails, answering my questions to him as well, all those years.

Thank you for all the stories, the dedication to pedal steel, the artists and players!

Rest in God's Peace Bobbe.

You, Sir, will definitely be missed!

Last edited by Godfrey Arthur on 3 Apr 2014 1:00 pm; edited 2 times in total

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2014 10:29 am    

Tom Bradshaw wrote:
What developed, and is ongoing, is an accumulating reservoir of historical and educational information about our instrument, its players and culture.

This is exactly my sentiment about Bobbe's stories, so much so I have kept every one that I started receiving since joining his list in 2007.

Needing a mentor on the pedal steel guitar, who played it and why, it was Bobbe who was that mentor, though I'd never met him. He was "there" and he took the time and effort to give me and many others, a glimpse into the world of pedal steel guitar.

Will there be another like him?

I'm inclined to think not.

Michael Breid

Eureka Springs, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2014 2:51 pm    

It's hard to believe Bobbe's gone to that great pedal steel convention in the sky, but all of us will have to meet that challange sooner or later. Only got to meet Bobbe briefly in Branson a few years ago, but wanted to get to Nashville and spend some time in his store. RIP my friend. You will be greatly missed.

Arkansas Red
Ozark Mountains, Arkansas

L. A. Wunder

Lombard, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2014 12:25 pm    

What heartbreaking news. This is a big loss for the steel guitar word, both now and for players of the future.

I met Bobbe in the early 80s at his old store Steel Guitar World, I was just a self-taught student nobody, and he treated me as if I had a list of studio credits as long as his arm. He handed me a pen and asked me to sign his wall, and I did, right next to my favorite players. When I wanted a dobro, he was the first person I went to and he gave me a great deal. Just a few years ago, he built me a 10-string lapsteel for a price he'd originally quoted me a couple years earlier - a price that was probably too low. And that's just the kind of upright person he was.

Rest in peace Bobbe, may Heaven be blessing you with the kindness you've bestowed on us all these years.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2014 8:01 am    

I have not been on the forum for quite some time due to some personal & health issues and only learned of this now. No one had notified me.

I'm so at a loss for words...Bobbe was my friend; mentor; co-conspirator. He literally gave me a new GFI when I was struggling with junk. If you were a little off-center and made him laugh you were his friend for life.

I can't even think. I'm empty right now.

Farewell my friend.

Jim
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Eli Hall

Lousville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2014 9:58 am    

He was a decent man who loved a good story and enjoyed stirring up controversy now and then. I bought a couple of amps and some effects from him for a really fair price. He heard me play one time and said some nice things about my playing. It meant the world to me and I will always be grateful.

Weldon Hargraves

Hamilton, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2014 1:45 pm     Passing of Bobbie Seymour

Bobbie told me the late Rich Morris and myself were very early customers of his store in very early 80's. He loved Rich and I and never failed to let us know. The love was mutual.

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2014 3:30 pm    

The Steel Guitar world won't seem the same without Bobbe Seymour. He was one of a kind. Crying or Very sad

Terry Sneed

Arkansas,
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2014 7:18 pm     Bobbe

Very sorry to hear about Bobbe. Great guy, and done SO much for the steel guitar world! RIP Bobbe.

Terry

Lonny Servin

Oregon, WI, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2014 8:16 am    

I first met Bobbe in 1977 at the Western Room in Nashville. He has been a significant person in my Steel Guitar playing since that time. I will miss him.

Al Vesel

Chisholm, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2014 12:46 am     Bobbe Seymour's passing

Just like everyone else, my prayers go out to the family. Bobbe would always take the time to call me back personally if I needed something that I thought he could help me with. He certainly will be missed. The steel guitar world has lost another legend.

Al Vesel & family.
Emmons LeGrande SKH D-10 - WALKER STEREO STEEL AMP w JBL ENCLOSURES & TC ELECTRONICS M-ONE XL PROCESSOR, HILTON VP,FURMAN POWER CONDITIONER, SARNO's Steel Guitar BLACK BOX,BJS,ToneMaster bars,FENDER Strat, FENDER & Ovation acoustic's

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2014 12:12 pm    

bobbe....will always miss your huge personality and especially your crazy sense of humor!!!

otherwise....big bummer

Curt Langston

Post  Posted 14 Apr 2014 7:54 pm    

I think back to 2005 when Bobbe and I had a few "heated" emails....
Reading over the emails again, I see that I was wrong. He did his best to be patient with me.
Now I can't even apologize to him........

Live everyday like it is your last day....

I'm sorry Bobbe for my immaturity.

RIP

Bryan Daste

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2014 12:43 am    

Wow, can't believe it. RIP Bobbe. At least I got to meet him once.

Thiel Hatt

Utah, USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2014 2:29 am    

Jusr yesterday I spoke with an close acquatince who is a Steel guitarist in Nashville and asked him what he knew about funeral services for Bobbe. He said he had heard that Bobbe preferred not to have any services. He didn't know whether his remains were buried or oremated or even if there was just a private graveyard service. Regardless, he was a deserving recipient of the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame award. He has my respect and admiration. We were personally acquainted with each other. Sure wish I could thumb pick like he did.

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2014 4:26 pm    

I will tell you right now that something is wrong here. I new him for 25 years. There is NO way that Bobbe wouldn't want people to come to his funeral.

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2014 6:10 am    

When you leave you final fate in the hands of significant others who knows.

W. C. Edgar

Iowa City Iowa, Madison CT, Nashville, Austin, Phoenix, L or R Coast Soon!
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2014 1:43 pm     Sucks bigtime

Bobbe also gave me my first job when I moved to Nashville. The Steel Guitar World in Millersville up 65.
It was Bobbe, Buck Reid, Make Dailey, myself and the office manager GiGi Emmons and a bunch of cats.
I'll miss his candor.
WC Edgar
1979 Peavey LTD
1980 Peavey Nashville 400
Goodrich L-120
Toured with Tim McGraw, Alan Jackson & more
wcedgar.com

Tom Bradshaw

Walnut Creek, California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2014 4:20 pm     What's Known Up To Now

Here is what I have learned as of this moment:

Bobbe was living with a woman who decided to "take charge" of his affairs following his death. She produced a Power of Attorney document and claimed she owned all of Bobbe's assets. In sharing the news of Bobbe's demise with friends (and the employees at Bobbe's store), she directed all not to inform his family or anyone else. The Power Of Attorney form fooled a few people until someone pointed out that the document she had was not valid after Bobbe's death! Before that fact was learned, she arranged for his cremation and demanded that it be completed promptly. She also showed up at Bobbe's store, told the three employees to vacate the building and claimed that the inventory now belonged to her. The employees complied and she immediately changed all the locks on the store's doors.

Someone viewed the woman's behavior as arrogant, questioned Bobbe's cause of death and complained to the police. They took action, declared the death "suspicious", directed an autopsy be performed, and told the mortuary to put the cremation on hold.

The building was leased by Bobbe. The store's lease holder is proceeding with action to terminate the lease and take possession of the building at the end of this month. I alerted the police and the lease holder that the store's contents was and is the property of Bobbe's or owned by his customers. I have asked the Police and the property owner to protect those contents pending the outcome of the usual Probate process. I trust that they will proceed to do so.

Thus, the outcome is currently in a state of limbo. It will probably be at least 30 days before any significant information will be available. When I learn more, I'll post it. ...Tom

Last edited by Tom Bradshaw on 16 Apr 2014 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2014 4:31 pm    

Wow.

Wally Moyers

Lubbock, Texas
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2014 4:38 pm    

Unbelievably sad Tom! Wow!

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2014 10:43 pm    

Tom's disclosure is exactly as I heard it a couple of weeks back, but I was sworn to secrecy. A very sad state of affairs, and my heart goes out to Bobbe's loyal staff and his family in this heartbreaking time. Those staff members, who have been treated very shabbily by this person, have ensured the continuity of the business as a going concern while Bobbe was incapacitated. He would be mortified to see how they have been treated. While he could be cantankerous at times, Bobbe's team were like a small family unit to him. I just pray to God that nothing sinister has happened here, but we mustn't conject at the moment.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2014 12:11 pm    

I loved Bobbe's wit and the service and kind words and deeds since I started playing this insane contraption ten years ago. He would be horrified if he knew these things ! I'm glad he does not know,and he is at peace with no pain or suffering. I will do my best to rally around the loyal SGN staff should the business end of things reopen. I believe Bobbe would have wanted his legacy to go on in that regard. If his death is ruled as something other than natural,I pray that justice for Bobbe AND HIS FAMILY is served ! He is a much beloved character in this community. I guess the moral of this story is to love everyone but trust no one.......

Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2014 4:36 pm    

I hope the authorities leave no stone unturned ! If there was foul play then let justice take it's course . It doesn't sound right to me . But we all have our opinion for what that's worth .