The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This forum section is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Bobby Lee in the hall of fame, what do you think???
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Bobby Lee in the hall of fame, what do you think???
Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2014 9:28 am    

Although I sometimes don't see eye to eye with b0b, no-one has done anymore to promote the Steel Guitar. I feel he should inducted. What do my fellow members think?
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.

Dale Lee

Down Yonder
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2014 5:02 pm     Yep.

Yes.

Jim R. Harrison

North Vancouver, B. C., Canada
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2014 11:54 pm    

One year ago, I personally gave my nomination letters to EACH of the Steel Guitar Convention Board members at the TSGA Jamboree in support of Bobby Lee's election to the SGHOF. Since others have already been elected this year, possibly he might be elected NEXT year (2015)??

Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2014 6:00 pm    

YES!!

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

robert kramer

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2014 1:45 pm    

Yes. I've been wanting to say this on the Forum for a long time and I'm glad Bill Dobkins just did.

The SGF is a primary source for the study of the steel guitar and country music. For steel players - it's the primary source of steel guitar info (steels/amps/effects/instruction/show dates) for beginners and pros alike. bOb is responsible for all of this and does a first rate job running it. Without the SGF - steel players - would for the most part - be isolated from each other. But thanks to bOb and the SGF steel players around the world can communicate with each other instantaneously.

I don't know how bOb does all this - but he does and deserves to be honored by the steel guitar community for all he does for us.

Last edited by robert kramer on 20 Mar 2014 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

Clark Doughty

KANSAS
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2014 1:50 pm     b0b for HOF

You got my vote b0b without question!!!!!!!!!

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2014 3:28 am    

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Ray Uhl

Riverside, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2014 8:47 pm     Bobby Lee Hall of Fame

Definitely!!!! Just imagine the steel guitar world, without the Forum. The Forum is the best promotion of steel there is, IMHO.

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2014 1:22 am    

Yep, I'm in!

Terry Winter

Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2014 9:53 am    

Hey Scott, When I quickly scrolled down and saw your post, I thought it read Bobby Lee for PRESIDENT. Oh, I better not make this political...... Rolling Eyes Bobby Lee for the Hall Of Fame....You bet!

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2014 10:04 am    

Thanks, Jim Harrison: you did the hard part!

Now let's get the Cap'n in the SGHOF.

Jim R. Harrison

Post  Posted 1 Apr 2014 10:03 pm    

Unfortunately, just talking about it here on the Forum won't get it done. Thank you, Frank, for your support! Submitting written statements is the only way to get this job done, that's why, given the opportunity to see ALL (but one) of the HOF Board Members in person just over a year ago, I prepared my statement, which I personally handed to them in Dallas. I emailed a copy of this statement to the absent Board Member & spoke to him personally in St. Louis at the ISGC.
Look at Scotty's website for directions on how & to whom to prepare a nomination document in support of getting b0b into the SGHOF!! Regards, Jim Harrison

Johan Jansen

Europe
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2014 6:38 am    

Yes!
JJ

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2014 6:45 am    

Jim R. Harrison wrote:
Look at Scotty's website for directions on how & to whom to prepare a nomination document in support of getting b0b into the SGHOF!!

Jim, are you suggesting that others submit b0b's name too? I didn't think that was necessary once someone (in this case, you) has already nominated him with full documentation of the case. Any nominations need to include a lot of documentation which seems to be duplicative effort of your own, unless it's the case that it matters to the HOF board how many people have nominated the person, but I don't believe that's the case.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2014 8:12 am    

I've only ever been to two ISGCs (2000 and 2002) but I have a memory of b0b being there at one or other of them and receiving some sort of award up on the stage.

Now it's possible I dreamed this and maybe it's time for my meds but can someone confirm or refute my impression?

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2014 8:31 am    

That may have been true, but it wasn't the SGHOF... there are other awards that are given out on that stage from time to time, e.g., the PSGA gives out awards there at times...

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2014 8:34 am    

You didn't dream it, Roger. I did receive an award plaque from the ISGC - it's on the wall at the Forum office.

I don't think it's appropriate for an amateur player like myself to be in the SGHOF. Frankly, I'm awed in the presence of those masters of the instrument. I am not their peer.

The Forum is great because of you, the members. All I did was tinker with some off-the-shelf software. I was lucky enough to be the first in our community to do that. I did a good enough job of it, but the content provided by you is what makes the SGF so special.

Time magazine broke with tradition at one point when they named the personal computer their "Man of the Year". Perhaps the SGHOF could do something similar, and induct the Steel Guitar Forum in its entirety. That way, credit would go where credit is due - to all of you who made it happen.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2014 8:41 am    

b0b, that's an interesting idea. But be aware that the SGHOF also broke with tradition (of inducting only illustrious players) when they inducted Tom Bradshaw who was renowned mainly for promoting steel guitar through producing LPs, newsletters, club membership, etc. This is not dissimilar from what you have achieved for the steel guitar community and one could argue that your contribution has been more far-reaching (not that it's a competition in that sense...)

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2014 8:42 am    

Well, b0b - none of it would have happened without you, of course.

But I think I agree with you. In my opinion induction to the HoF 'wall' should primarily be as recognition to someone's achievements as a player. There are all sorts of ways of making a mark in a particular field or genre but I feel the inductees must be, first and formeost, exceptional players.

Having said that, we all appreciate everything you've done; there's no doubt you're almost as well-known as many of the 'heavyweights'! Smile

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2014 8:48 am    

You're right, Jim, but Tom's induction always struck me as odd. A different category of presentation would be appropriate in my view; that way influential designers and manufacturers could also be honoured.

Last edited by Roger Rettig on 3 Apr 2014 7:10 am; edited 1 time in total

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2014 9:05 am    

While in general, I think it is good to chose those whose ability as players makes them stand out, there are others who are there for contributions besides playing - most notable being Bud Carter and Shot Jackson. b0b has brought pedal steel guitar into the digital age, and has provided the best possible place to disseminate information about pedal steel. Without the forum, I would have made mistakes about which instruments to buy, missed out on huge learning opportunities in the Tablature and Pedal Steel sections, and not have met anyone else who plays steel. I have no idea who I would have turned to without the forum to ask questions of. So, I give a big yes vote for b0b's induction for his contributions to the steel guitar community - just as important as being an innovator in playing style.

Jim R. Harrison

Post  Posted 2 Apr 2014 11:59 am    

In reply to Jim Cohen's point which quoted me, I believe he is quite correct on all points. It is just my belief that with MORE nomination papers presented for one individual (namely, b0b), the odds of convincing the Board Members that such a nomination is worthy of consideration is increased.

Please also note that b0b has brought not only the pedal steel guitar into the digital age, but he has also brought ALL forms of the steel guitar into the digital age. That's why he has entitled this website "The Steel Guitar Forum."

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2014 7:19 pm    

Deja vu all over again. 14 years ago, March, 2000. This same topic came up on the old Steel Forum and b0b rejected the idea at that time. Of course, the world has changed since then and the Forum is way bigger and more informative now. Definitely worthy of HOF consideration IMO.

Charles Rodrigues

Tiverton, Rhode Island, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2014 4:43 am    

I vote YES for b0b Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2014 7:09 am    

I hope no-one thinks my disagreement with this notion is in any way meant as a slur against our b0b who, indeed, has been a good pal to us all.

I just think there could, perhaps, be a different category from the 'first division players' we all know. This would include b0b, some of the ground-breaking builders and designers and ('though it's too late now) Tom Bradshaw.

Maybe, though, in fifty years no-one will care anyway, but I'd prefer to ignore that possibility. Wink