The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Managing The Two Stresses
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2002 4:12 am    

There has been fewer complaints of excessive 3rd string breakage on the forum of late. The E9th neck,
is such a ball of complexities, a player must decide what to focus upon in his/her best interest. It is presumed that a player anticipates while performing, that the troublesome 3rd string could snap like a bowstring at any moment. I could not manage the inevitable stress, until the "Lucky 7" became a mainstay. The little device "reads" the stress exerted on the 3rd. string, and modifies the trauma, thereby avoiding the breakage, which in turn allows the player to "enjoy" concentrating on his/her music.

Bill Hankey

Johan Jansen

Europe
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2002 5:58 am    

WHOAAAA!!!
JJ www.steeljj.com

Joe Smith

Charlotte, NC, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2002 7:02 am    

Bill, now you've got me all stressed out.

Joerg Hennig

Bavaria, Germany
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2002 1:34 pm    

Funny. I´ve never ever anticipated that the 3rd string could snap while performing... too busy thinking about hitting the right notes!

Rich Weiss

Woodland Hills, CA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2002 4:26 pm    

Okay, let's just cut to the chase. How much are they?

[This message was edited by Rich Weiss on 27 July 2002 at 06:00 PM.]

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2002 4:50 am    

Rich,

This 3rd string breakage problem had been a personal struggle, covering a span of several years. I entertained the notion from the first realization, that something was amiss, and I also knew that a guitar string should not baffle or overcome the desire to find a solution. Every undesirable nuisance, from a mechanical standpoint, usually involves well guarded inroads, which tend to negate, and hamper one's efforts to bring about improvements. My "Lucky 7" is a merest form of prototype, unmarketable at this time, but it has satisfactorily restored my belief, that the inroad to a durable 3rd string performance, has been cleared for future studies.

Bill Hankey

Peter

Post  Posted 28 Jul 2002 8:17 am    

So, the "Lucky 7" is an inroad clearing device which restores beliefs.
I would like three of these, depending on the price. How much are they?

------------------
Peter den Hartogh-Fender Artist S10-Remington U12-Hilton Volume Pedal-Gibson BR4 lapsteel-Guya "Stringmaster" Copy-MusicMan112RP-Peavy Rage158- - My Animation College in South Africa

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2002 12:56 pm    

Does it cost more than the $.50 cost of the new .011 ? I have not broke a 3rd string while on a gig in over 12 years, but then again I took a 12 year absence from playing out ! Actually I replace the 3rd string and polish the bridge usually every week when I gig so in the past year I have not broke even 1 on a gig. Does this count for anything ?
tp

TPrior/SteelGuitarHomesite

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2002 4:24 am    

Tony,

Thanks for the inquiry that smacks of a comment made to me in 1959. A lady who was divorced, said to me, " When you are 40 yrs. old, your guitar will be hanging on the wall, like my ex-husband's." I think about those words from time to time, even though she should not have have pondered my determination with such abandon. I'm aware of the activity that must take place, in the process of becoming a dedicated steel guitarist. Placing the instrument on the back burner, until some faint recall serves as a reminder, that the all too familar challenge awaits the next pracise session is an option with little reward. The strings will gradually change in certain characteristics, with the passing of time.

Bill Hankey

[This message was edited by Bill Hankey on 29 July 2002 at 06:50 AM.]

[This message was edited by Bill Hankey on 31 July 2002 at 05:37 AM.]

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2002 7:07 am    

Peter,

Thank you for your interest, and for your input. The "Lucky 7" was assembled originally, to thwart the delicate nature of a flimsy steel guitar string. The third .011 string is brought to near-breaking point by the E9th tuning. This premise is well established within
musical circles; involving advanced steel guitarists. The "Lucky 7" is not marketable. It is, however, a
step in the right direction to ameliorate unwarranted string breakage. Many classic steel guitar "live" performances have been marred by the pop, zing, and dangle of the unreliable 3rd, G# strings.

Bill Hankey

[This message was edited by Bill Hankey on 29 July 2002 at 08:14 AM.]

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2002 7:20 am    

I was thinking more as a doctor of abstruse technology, professing a purer and more innocuous wisdom, noted in the best academies of the world; an approved and honorably received technician. a stranger nowhere save amongst the Barbarous and Ignoble. The waker of sleeping souls, tamer of presumptuous and recalccitrant ignorance, proclaimer of a generalized theory who does not choose the musician more than the artist; the male more than the female; the mitered head more than the crowned head; the man in a toga more than the armed man, but him who is a the more peaceable minded, the more civilized, the more loyal, the more useful, the cultured of the mind and the soul. Who is hated by the propagators of foolishness and hypocrites but sought by the honest and the studious and whose genius the more noble applaud.

I read that somewhere but the theme elludes me as do many things of such depth.

Regards, Paul :confuced:

[This message was edited by Paul Graupp on 29 July 2002 at 09:51 AM.]

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2002 7:47 am    

Quote:
the man in a togo more than the armed man,

Very well stated, Paul. Those are my thoughts exactly, but are you sure you didn't mean "toga"?

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2002 9:04 am    

Earnest: I don't think I'd have ever guessed that you would read my writing but I think I should have. I still have nightmares about your picture from Severed Head In A Bag. They take the mask off and it's ME !!

Could I ask if you had any trouble with the third string of that one tuning that went E-E-E-E-E-B-B-B-E-E-E etc etc. ?? Were the guages the same as the notes or varied for different textures ?? I must admit if it isn't a joke (and I am prone to falling into those....) it is without a doubt the most unusal arrangement EVER !!

I did mean TOGA and I went back and edited it. I appreciate your noticing that: Most would never have caught it !!

Regards, Paul

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2002 9:54 am    

Quote:
any trouble with the third string of that one tuning that went E-E-E-E-E-B-B-B-E-E-E etc etc. ?? Were the guages the same as the notes or varied for different textures ?? I must admit if it isn't a joke

I suppose you could say it was a joke but nonetheless I think it was true. I didn't break any 3rd strings on that gig but I think something snapped between my ears which interferes with my independent recollection of that night. Fortunately it is all on there in Spike Stewart's 1986 film "D.U.I". I think that when I got to the gig I discovered to my horror that there was an E9 tuning on the Sho-Bud so I tuned every string down until I reached either an E or a B.

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2002 11:10 am    

Earnest:

Quote:
He is an excellent musical theorist.....

From b0b's glowing introduction of you on the tuning pages: Could you drop over to my thread in Tabulature titled What Is This Change, and give me an attitude adjustment on the top of my head ??? Please !!!

Regards, Paul

Frank Parish

Nashville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2002 11:21 am    

Bill,
I don't give a hoot about my 3rd string breaking because I'm just used to it but can this device be used to relieve the stress of a divorce or an unmanageable woman? Can it make the brakes on the old van last a bit longer as well as 3rd strings? What I'm looking for is a gremlin rejector for just life in general. Could your device be used for any of these things I've listed or should I just go and get a bigger hammer?

Rich Weiss

Woodland Hills, CA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2002 11:24 am    

Sixteen and counting...

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2002 11:39 am    

The Toyota book said use a 12mm socket to get the bolts off the thermostat cover but it was scraping the corners off those bolts so I decided to drive it up the big hill in high gear with the air conditioner on and it still didn't overheat so maybe that old thermostat has another 14 years in it, what do you think?

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2002 11:48 am    

You should be using a six point socket, preferably Craftsman.

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2002 11:53 am    

What is a six point socket?

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2002 12:06 pm    

Most of the cheap sockets have twelve "points" or little indents for the corners of the bolt to sit in. This makes it easier to get the socket on the bolt without having to turn the socket very much, but does tend to round the corners easily. The good ones only have six points, so more of the socket sits on the flats of the bolt, and thus fewer rounded corners.

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2002 12:09 pm    

Mine is a six point.
I gave up.

Johan Jansen

Europe
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2002 1:42 pm    

lucky 6

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2002 6:40 pm    

I have a Lucky Six Point wrench that I use to adjust the sharpness of my G sharp 3rd string. I tried a 12 point but I couldn't get it past 439.5 and my JN manual says 440.0. Oh well, You can't bend them all !!

Regards, Paul

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2002 4:22 am    

Frank,

The "Lucky 7" will not meld a severed matrimony, or relieve the harsh reality, of an over-stressed departure, that comes thundering home as the door closes behind the one you live for. There is always hope for heartfelt changes within the heart of your special person.

Determination to achieve specific goals, by adhering to pristine behavior, offers unquestionable proof, that success is just beyond the next turn in life's road.

Good luck with your vehicle. You will always be rewarded with good transportation, in exchange for good maintenance.

Bill Hankey