The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Help! Half stop adjuster.
Brad Burch

Post  Posted 27 Jul 2002 7:03 am    

I am the proud new owner of a D10 lacquer Marlen guitar. This is an all pull triple raise double lower model built about 90. I can't understand the 2nd string half adjuster that is on it now. It looks standard compared to the pictures I've seen of others,..but.
Right now the 2nd string will lower from D# to D to C#. There is also a pull on this knee lever that lowers G# to G and a single pull on the C6th neck(not worried about). The half stop adjuster is on the nineth string E9th.

I am used to this lever(RKR) having the D# to D and the nineth lower to C#(on LDG Shobud).

The nylon adjuster on the nineth string does not make contact with the changer. When I turn the nylon adjuster I notice that the whole rod of the adjustment mechanism turns. I can't feel any difference in the half stop feel at all when this is turned. What little half stop feel that exists comes in when the G# to G lower engages.

In looking at the adjuster, I see a brass knurled knob that butts up against the bellcrank. This knob looks like it should be able to turn but has a pin in it that prevents it from turning when its against the bellcrank. If I pull it away from the bellcrank It will turn. How do these work?

Am I to assume that with this setup, the nineth string will not lower to C# because thats where the half stop adjuster is(and not really a pull)?

What I am really considering doing is removing the half stop adjuster all together. It looks like a hassle to me. I really want the nineth string lower and have never had the 2nd string C#.

Any opinions or ideas would be very helpful. I don't have a digital camera right now, sorry.

Joerg Hennig

Bavaria, Germany
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2002 1:46 pm    

I am not familiar with that kind of mechanism, but it seems to me that if the whole rod of the adjustment mechanism turns when turning the nylon tuner, it is not properly fixed at the other end, like on a pullrod where the set screw at the bellcrank has become loose.

Just an idea, Joe H.

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2002 4:16 pm    

Brad,
Go to this website and get in touch with Leonard,he is a good man to deal with and can tell you how to fix it.
http://www.reidsville.net/stadlermusic/

Bill Ford

------------------