The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rustler Steel guitar
tom anderson

leawood, ks., usa
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2002 1:28 pm    

I may be mistaken on the name, but one of our local music shops has one of these for sale. A single neck 10 string with 3 pedals in the center of the pedal board, and 2 knee pedals on opposite knee's. It appears to be made out of metal (aluminum?) and covered with that same kind of baked on finish that National's use to make the guitars look old & funky. The decals are different western themes (steer, pistol,etc.)The one knee lever only lowered the low e string, but may have been disconnected for the other e. It was kindof heavy for a 10 string, and seemed to be fairly well built underneath, with fairly typical rod assembly. He claims that it was one of the best built in it's time, but I have never heard of it. Anyone know anything about this brand, when & where made & by who? He wants a $1000.00 for it which seemed high to me, but who knows, one of you may be a collector who has been waiting for this jewel!

------------------

Reggie Duncan

Mississippi
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2002 3:06 pm    

The steel is a Rus-Ler, I believe. They have been discussed here before. Someone can tell us more. I wouldn't pay $1,000 for it.

B Bailey Brown

San Antonio, TX (USA)
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2002 4:35 pm    

Tom,

The Rusler steels were very well built excellent guitars from everything I have ever heard. I have never owned one, but I did see one that Butch Cornwell had when he came back to Texas. It was very old and pretty beat up at the time, but it sure sounded good to me.

The “three pedals in the center of the pedal board” kind of puzzles me, but who knows who it was built for, and why they wanted it that way. I would also question the knee lever that only lowers the low E, as that doesn’t seem quite right to me.

It is probably a good guitar, but I would agree with Reggie in that it is not worth $1,000. Check it out a little more and be careful before you plunk you money down!

B Bailey Brown

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2002 9:19 pm    

Tom-I had a great sounding beautiful Rus-Ler S 12 in about 1975,and it was heavy, but played in tune and had a very good sound. I think it was over engineered, all the parts were heavier than other guitars....al

Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2002 9:34 pm    

Norm Hamlet played a Rusler.

------------------
Steelin' Greetings
Marco Schouten
Sho-Bud Pro III Custom

Fred Martin

Phoenix, Az
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2002 4:38 am    

There have only been about 3 or 4 come up for sale between here and ebay in the last 4 years I have seen. I didnt think they were metal bodied though. I tried to almost give away a two year old steel to a friend that has played a Rustler for 30 years. He tried it for 30 minutes and kept the Rustler.

Post  Posted 25 Jul 2002 7:31 am    

I have a Rusler D10 (8&5), dark-stained birdseye maple body and George L pickups. I will be putting this up for sale soon for well under $1,000. If you anyone is interested, I will have pictures soon. It isn't quite ready to be posted on the buy and sell yet as I am finishing some final setup details.

I can tell you this. It's HEAVY, built to last, as they say. But, it plays well and has a nice tone.

Bob I. Williams

Sun City West, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2002 3:19 pm    

Re: Rusler steels They orignally were built in Phoenix, at least in the 70's. AS I remember the guy's name is Russ. I was playing a d-10 sho-bud doing the road thing. all I used was 9th so I took the 6th off (not a good move on my part) I went to Russ's house and we put a pad on. I heard he moved to Nashville area. He dident play steel, He would listen to steelers needs and built them. He did have a factory in S.E. Phoenix BOB

[This message was edited by Bob I. Williams on 25 July 2002 at 04:20 PM.]

[This message was edited by Bob I. Williams on 25 July 2002 at 04:21 PM.]

[This message was edited by Bob I. Williams on 25 July 2002 at 04:23 PM.]

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2002 7:09 pm    

Right, Bob. I was over to Russ's house several times in Phoenix when he was building a guitar for me.

I worked there for Maricopa County in the 70's and was playing weekends there.
He built a beautiful guitar....al