The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Jeff newman Vidio on A&B pedals
Sam White

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2002 5:49 pm    

I'm getting pretty discustard with this Vidio. For one thing he goes to fast and the second thing he puts in stuff he does not even tell you about. These vidios and tab don't come cheap and I just can't seem to figure out what he is doing when he throws in these exrta strings. I'm trying to learn to play this steel and he just blows my mind.I can not play his tab it sounds like I won't say it.Now I'm stuck. the only thing I can do is play my way and for get what anyone tells me because every one has a diffrent way of telling me.I need to have some one to teach me the cords and then I might be able to get some where.
Sam white

Dave Horch

Frederick, Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2002 8:04 pm    

Sam - It ain't easy (or cheap) but it sure is fun sometimes(?). I know what you mean, brother. When I first started out, videos and books were nice, but I just wasn't gettin' it...

I soon realized (and I see you might have too) that I needed a real live human being to get me started in the right direction. I knew I needed someone I could talk to and watch, and ask questions. And so I did find a great teacher, and it's made a world of difference!!

Sam, don't get discouraged. I think there are many good teachers in your area, and perhaps other forumites closer to you could name them. Guys! Pitch in with some names and phone numbers! If you don’t mind a four hour drive North, Billy Cooper is an excellent and patient teacher (he’s in central Virginia – phone 540-854-5940)

And hey... Don’t knock Jeff’s vid’s too hard. Sure, nothing is like a real live teacher. Still I know Jeff’s vid’s get great reviews here.

My best to you, -Dave

B0B, perhaps move this to "Steel Players" section?

------------------
Mullen (See! No "S") D-10
Photo page

Sam White

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2002 4:06 am    

Thanks Dave for the advice.I have been 5 years and I had a teacher in R.I. and a good freind of mine was teaching me in Florida for about 7 months.I can play but I have to be able to find the cord changes that is what my problem is. I spent 5 hours yesterday on the Jeff Newman A&B Vidio and he blows my mind right in the begining when he picks other strings he did'nt tell you about. That is what is messing me up on the Vidio.I can do all the stuff he is showing me but not the strings he is adding in that he did not tell you about. I new nothing about music 5 years ago and I don't know that much about it now.I have to find out when there are cord changes.
Sam White

[This message was edited by Samuel E. White on 16 July 2002 at 05:09 AM.]

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2002 6:31 am    

Sam,

I have some early Music City News publications, from the 60's, when Faron Young was president of the MCN newspaper. Jeff Newman was soliciting students from those early times. ( I'll sift through the issues, as I wouldn't want to find myself in error.) He is the foremost teacher of steel guitar, and many accomplished musicians stand by his approaches to progressing successfully on the road to mastery of the instrument. One method that will help in getting a "handle" on the learning process, is to select a particular melody, as for example, "Wild Side Of Life." Then, work your way through the melody, day after day, one note at a time. Don't move on to other experimentations, before you've finished your goal. Later on, try to set up your steel with a country steel guitarist, who is advanced on the instrument. You'll have a great time picking up on new ideas, and fills that can be added to what you have learned.

Bill H.

Sam White

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2002 8:05 am    

Bil Hankey thank you very much I need all the help I can get and appreciate it very much.
Gordon I want to thank you very much also for your reply. To answer your questions I'm 65 years young had a heart attack 5 years ago when I first started to learn to play Pedal Steel Guitar My Equipment is a S-10 Fessenden on double body with 3 and 4 a Pro Fex II with Newnam card set up in it a Nashville 400 and a Peavy Bandit 75 amp with a 7A super sustain match Box a L-120 low profile goodrich volume pedal. I also have a S-10 Self built Steel with some of the parts I bought from Jerry Fessenden.I'm in the prosses of building another S-10 only this will be a C-6. Any help I can get to learn to play this steel right will be very much appreciated.I'm in my steel room now and as soon as I get off the computer I'll be right back on the steel. I think I found out what strings and cords Jeff is going to on the begining of the Vidio.Once again thank you Bill and Gordon.I'm retired and it is 95 degrees out so I'll stay in a practice.I got a heat stroke back in May so I'll cool it now.
Sam White

[This message was edited by Samuel E. White on 16 July 2002 at 09:29 AM.]

gene brown

Bowie, Texas Montague
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2002 6:38 pm    

Mr White. I to am trying to learn to play pedal steel.I have got just about every thing Jeff Newman has for instruction.I think it is the best on the market.I have learned a lot from them.It was hard at first,but the more I worked with it,the easer it got.I use the instruction along with a teacher.His Up From The Top is the best I have found. Just my own openion. Gene Mullen D-10.

Wayne Brown

Bassano, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2002 6:59 pm    

samuel i have a idea...4 questions
1) do you have a camera, microphone and msn net meeting
2)if not can you get it
3) are you a beginner ...if not how long have you been playing
4)what is your internet connection

if you can help me out with these questions i think i can help you

thanks
wayne

Ian

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2002 7:49 pm    

Hey Samuel,

I have the the video you're talking about. No disrespect to Mr. Newman but he is much better at explaining how than explaining why. I suggest that you cross reference the video with other material. Different teachers emphasize different aspects of this very difficult instrument to learn. Keep on keepin' on - it'll come to you.

Ian

Sam White

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2002 6:50 am    

I want to thank everyone for trying to help me and even the one's that have been E-Mailing me.The Information is a lot of help.Wayne Brown I do not have MSN I do have a camera and Mikecrophone.I'm a learner and I have been trying to play for five years now and I should be a lot further than I'am. My internet is risteelguitar@aol.com
Thank you for your concern.
Sam White

[This message was edited by Samuel E. White on 17 July 2002 at 07:54 AM.]

Ian

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2002 7:12 am    

Gordon,

Actually, I "borrowed" it from Dylan's "Tangled up in Blue" - and it's sage advice regardless of who says it. But back to the topic at hand:

Samuel, five hours? Dude, give yourself a break. Take it slow and steady (my apologies to Aesop)

Ian

Raymond Beale

Rosenberg, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2002 7:38 am    

To Mr. Gordy, Sorry, I have to take up for Mr. Newman. I went to a one day seminar back in '82, then a weeklong class in '83. I've purchased lots of his material, attended his seminar at Dalls, 2001. He ALWAYS was cordial, and helpful whether I purchased something or not. Gave me advice that I wished I had followed, etc
Everyone (including both parties) is entitled to a "bad hair day"

Ray Beale

------------------
"STRINGBUSTER" again
MSA S-12
Ray Beale Rosenberg,Tx

bob drawbaugh

scottsboro, al. usa
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2002 11:33 am    

With all the attacks on Newman he must have a new steel Guitar coming out soon

Sam I don't know the tape you are talking about but, could it be it's not for a new player. I know he has some for the new player. You really nedd to find a good teacher,but if you can't the tapes are the next best thing.

Gordon if Sam can't learn from a video I don't think a phone call from you would help. Maybe one from Newman would.

Al Miller

Waxahachie Texas
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2002 1:07 pm    

OK GUYS!!
i think thats just about enough of the running jeff down. if it were not for this master of steel guitar half of you guys would be playing the kazoo. this man has done more for the steel guitar world than most and dosent deserve to be run down. as for the comment "he's a carnie" and a brainwasher. come on please!! he is a buisness man and if you think differnt your wrong plain and simple. he is doing nothing more than the rest of us trying to make a living and guys are doing it on here as we speak. by selling there CD's and pacAseats and bars and picks. ect.. he just found a product to sell! his knowlege! and some of you guys cant see past the jelousy or something!! jeff is a good honest buisness man lay off!! SAM I will help you in anyway possible that i can help and i know some of the other players in MASGA will do the same. all you have to do is ask my friend. if your having a problem with jeffs courses call him up and explain what problem you are having he will help you just like the rest of us! dont get people riled up over something so petty! jeff has worked many yrs to make things easy for us so we dont have to learn like he and many others had to learn . i guess im though now .
see ya in mtn city
and bring that guitar.
BOO

Jim Eaton

Santa Susana, Ca
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2002 2:13 pm    

Al, thanks for posting everything I wanted to say about Jeff Newman and could not find as fine a way to say it! I have learned so much from Jeff's old column's in GuitarPlayer mag, his courses and in person when he brought the 1 week school to the west coast back in the late 70's that as recently as last night I found myself playing something new and then saying to myself "OH...Thats what Jeff ment".
JE:-)>

bob drawbaugh

scottsboro, al. usa
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2002 2:54 pm    

Gordon... you spell like another Bobbe I know hmmmmm? Gordon I read this crape because you wrote this crape. Why do you not like the carnvail. Did your best friend run off with a clown.

Sam... I looked at Newman's web site he tells you up front the A&B video is not kids stuff. Get what you can out of the video. In six weeks come back to it and see what else you can pick up. Then six weeks latter come back to it again,ect, ect, ect. This is how you learn. Just keep it up, it's fun so have fun with it. If all else fells call Newman he can clear up the problem for you.

[This message was edited by bob drawbaugh on 17 July 2002 at 03:59 PM.]

[This message was edited by bob drawbaugh on 17 July 2002 at 04:01 PM.]

Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2002 3:08 pm    

Quote:
If you will check back i said that Jeff Newman is an "ASTUTE BUISNESS MAN" . I do not know of a better compliment to extend to a person in buisness. Maybe you lost your dictionary??

I guess that would be 'an astute businessman in the carnival game according toyour previous description, or have I missed your 'compliment'?

Sheesh....

Mike Weirauch

Harrisburg, Illinois**The Hub of the Universe
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2002 3:31 pm    

Jeff Newman is the best thing to happen to those who want to learn the steel guitar. His teachings and his video's are an invaluable asset to one who is eager to learn. I have the A,B video and tab book. It has always been easy to understand and I've never had any problem following Jeff in the video. His tab is the best available. It is large and is simple to follow. Sam, are you trying to read it as if it were music notes? Try working on just each chord separately and after awhile, put them all together. These video's are not meant to learn in one or two days. I've had mine for over 4 years and I still review it and manage to gleen something new out of it. Again there is no better teacher than Jeff Newman whether it be by video or one on one. I have made two trips to the "Hill" and do not regret either trip.He is the reason I can play what I can. I forgot to say that Jeff Newman is also my friend and he is far from being a snob.

Al Miller

Waxahachie Texas
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2002 4:24 pm    

GORDON!!
I dont need a dictionary i have most of jeffs courses NUF SAID!!
Jim i just try and say it like a feel it thanks for your support.
steve thanks for posting i also would like to say jeff is my friend as well and has taught me loads not only though his courses but in person as well. im not brainwashed into a newman clone how bout you guys? if i were going to copy someone note for note it would be buddy charlton anyway
well there is my thoughts on the subject if you guys wanna call the man names call him directly im sure he would love to here from ya . hell knowing jeff he would probably sell ya something before ya hung up.
BOO

Bowie Martin

Wilson, NC USA 27896
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2002 4:43 pm    

Finest courses, most professional seminars, most business like approaches, most knowledgeable instructor. Don't agree? Thats your problem. Sit on the stage next to him at the next St. Louis convention, play a little, and let the audience judge. I will be right there watching in the front rows (non-smoking section). I am not sure I would be playing on shows today if it was not for him...

Dave Horch

Frederick, Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2002 8:50 pm    

Yea! "Off Topic" (well sort of) is back! (but without a spell checker?)

Sam - get a live teacher and practice. The end. Slamming Jeff doesn't get you closer to being a better player.

Best, -Dave

------------------
Mullen (See! No "S") D-10
Photo page

[This message was edited by Dave Horch on 17 July 2002 at 09:55 PM.]

Steven Welborn

Ojai,CA USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2002 10:45 pm    

Im surprised no one's mentioned yet what could be the root of Sam's frustration. Sam said he new nothing about music before taking up steel 5 years ago. Many I'm sure already played another instrument and had a good grounding in basic music theory when they took up steel, which pretty much streamlines the mystery solving and learning process. Things just fall into place. My impression is many of these courses presume some prior music knowledge. I guess this ties in to "find a good teacher". I dont have that course by Jeff, but I do have a couple others by him. Terrific learning materials. Hang with it Sam. Get some music theory learnin. youll never regret it. God Bless.

William Steward

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2002 2:36 am    

Sam - you might find Maurice Anderson's Missing Link course helpful if 'theory' is a stumbling block since it is more visual than plain old tab. Check it out on his site http://www.flash.net/~picker1/reece/index.html

Steve Miller

Long Beach, CA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2002 8:40 am    

Steve Welborn, Very Well Said. That's the first thing I thought when I read Sam's post. Sam, most everyone who takes up steel has prior musical experience. Your working with a huge handicap if you don't know at least basic theory! Do yourself a favor and get a good teacher, the video is probably too advanced for your musical background.

I'll take the Jeff Newman clone comment as a compliment. Thank you, Gordon!

sgm

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2002 8:41 am    

I read it too, Gordon.

"Music theory" is term used to describe how notes, chords and rhythms are combined to form music. It is a very useful body of knowledge, for any musician who cares to explore it. An understanding of music theory allows you to improvise with confidence, and to compose.

I have yet to see a steel guitar method that teaches music theory in any real depth. I haven't seen everything, though.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (Emaj9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (F Diatonic) Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6)

Al Miller

Waxahachie Texas
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2002 2:29 pm    

everyone!!
i agree with the studie of theory as well. my concern was this guy bashing jeff in the ground for making a living cause he had a bad experence with him. sam needs alittle help and who better to help him than jeff.after all he was teaching steel before alot of us were born. well charlton is a pretty fine teacher as well and only like 4 hrs away from sam .call him up sam if jeff dosent click your buzzer.

sam these guys are right in telling you theory is the key.learn some basic music theory and dont try to do it overnight .it wont happen. practice ,practice ,practice and alot of luck.
BOO