The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tuning to D9 / D6 your thoughts!
Scott Howard

Georgetown, TN, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2002 4:24 pm    

I have a 18 year old son who is just starting out. He had already tuned down to D9th on his single neck but now that he has a double neck on the way he wants to tune it to D6th.I noticed Bobby Lee has several D9th tunings listed.Does any one else do this?I have been playing a U-12 for the last year and have never played C6th and can't answer his Questions on if this is a good idea or what problems he may run into.Any input would be appreciated.

[This message was edited by Scott Howard on 21 June 2002 at 06:49 PM.]

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2002 5:20 pm    

I think most people that play D9 started with that tuning back when the guitars couldn't handle a high G#-A on E9 and never made the switch. Jimmy Day cut Steel and Strings with a D9 tuning.

If you can convince him to play a Universal too, he would have D9 and A6!

Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2002 5:33 pm    

I play a D-10 with D-9 and C-6. I had already learned the chord positions on the C-6, so I saw no reason to move the tuning to D-6. I have a friend who does do this however. He states (rightfully so), the chord positions are the same if both necks are tuned to D. (I'm talking about open tuning, not pedal set up). If your son is just learning, I suspect this would not be a bad idea. JMO

Buck Dilly

Branchville, NJ, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2002 7:35 pm    

I believe that E9 and B6 are good places to start with D-10. 1) Learning these will enable players to go to a universal tuning with less difficulty, if they wish;
2) Memorizing the necks is more logical this way. There are parallels between these, E and E, B and B. E9/C6 has no such parallels. I do not miss C6 at all.

Don Walters

Saskatchewan Canada
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2002 7:25 am    

I tuned my 9th neck to D in March and really liked the deeper tone, even with the same guage strings. If you're used to E, the key positions take a little time to adjust to, and I put it back to E in April because I had to play a gig in that month. I may go back to D, not sure yet. A few points though:

1. With D9, it's more of a challenge to play accurately high on the neck in "Hughey country" - but John's not threatened by my playing

2. If you use tab very much (I don't) you'll have to realize you'll either learn the piece in a different key, or will have to adjust your positions by 2 frets to learn it in the key shown in the tab. This may be an issue for a beginner, but not a serious one, I would think.

I'm really debating the C6 to D6 change. As a hobby player, I'm tempted by the same fret positions for root chords by having both necks tuned to D. But I also find that I really like the tonal range differences between the E9th and the C6th.

So many choices!!

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2002 11:17 am    

I play D6th on my Williams pedal steel because I like the tone of it better than C6th. It may be a problem with my hearing. I never was able to hear the C6th tuning properly when playing with a band - it din't "cut through the mix" well enough for me.

I have a D13 on my Sierra lap steel for a different reason. Most of the steel parts on Hank Williams' records were either in E13 (Don Helms) or C6th (Jerry Bryd). By splitting the difference, I'm able to play the parts from both tunings with acceptable tones.

I have no desire to lower my E9th pedal tuning to D9th, though. If I were inclined to change its key, I probably try to raise it to F. I like the way an F tuning sounds, but the high third is dangerous (A raised to Bb!).

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (Emaj9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (F Diatonic) Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6)

Bob I. Williams

Sun City West, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2002 12:25 pm    

It was so good to read this post. I have a DS 10 mullen. I've tuned D9 sinse mid 60s I've changed changed back and forth from steel and lead during a gig, It was easier on my mind to look down on eithier neck and know where I was at. I don't play 6th but want to. I have a D10 Marlin 8 5 that I havent set up as yet. do you folks suggest I tune the inside bank to D6? I'm 63 and would like to keep it as simple as possible.
THANKS BOB

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2002 5:32 pm    

Bob Williams- Yes ,if you are playing D9, I would go to D6 to keep the same bar positions and chord names. Makes it much simpler.

I play E9 on the top neck, and E6 on the bottom neck. Works fine, I don't have to think so much. Good luck.....al