The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Is color choice that big a deal when it comes to resale?
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2002 6:15 pm    

If you can't play, the color doesn't make any difference, and if you can play well, it won't make any difference either. I'm not particular about the color...it's how the thing sounds and plays that matters to me.

But I'm willing to help you guys out...if you can't find anyone who will take that yellow, purple, or pink steel off your hands...just give it to me.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2002 6:32 pm    

(I guess my little survey wasn't too popular, eh? Y'all jus' wanna jabber on, s'okay with me.)

Scott Howard

Georgetown, TN, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2002 6:43 pm    

I think it matters more than it should.I passed on a Mullen SD-10 it was teal green, because of the color.
Ended up with it anyway about a year later.The color grew on me and my son loved the color.When I sold it a few months later it moved quick.
Is it that black sells better or that there are just more black ones out there? Did Manufacturers make more black Steels because they knew people would always settle for black? Most are probably sold at the time they are ordered,but how many of the others are black?
I currently have a red Mullen U-12 but sold the teal Mullen because I am waiting on a Black D-10 Mullen for my son.Color did not come into play on the purchase of the D-10
price and availability sold me on it.
I think Blue or red in mica would move if you needed to sell it.

[This message was edited by Scott Howard on 08 June 2002 at 07:47 PM.]

Mike Weirauch

Harrisburg, Illinois**The Hub of the Universe
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2002 7:29 pm    

I have a new JCH coming very soon. It will be Tomato puke abstract aprons with an anthrasite top. Don't ask me to describe it, you just have to see it!

Richard Plummer

nashville tennessee
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2002 4:51 am    

Thanks Jim for the post and yes I agree with it.I think I am going to stick with the midnite blue because I like it not because it is what others like.I guess I have to learn to to depend so much what every one else wants but what I like.I am sure the guitar will sell when the time comes.I guess also another way,when it comes the day to sell it,as not to be in the desperation mode is to have another spare Emmons or 2This way I could sit on it and wait.Oh well we shall see.Thanks all for the answers to my posting.

Gil Berry

Westminster, CA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2002 7:38 am    

You know, in this thread about appearance of the guitar, I gotta mention how much I detest advertising (yup, that's what it is) on the front of the guitar - especially if it's a painted-on or decal. I think every (am I wrong here?) manufacturer of steel guitars has gotta put his logo across the front of the guitar - making, for the most part, a beautiful instrument ugly. The only logo I thought that ever added to the appearance of the instrument was those little "diamonds" Fender used to put on the front of their non-pedal axes. They were both eye-appealing and instantly recognizable. Why can't they leave the front of the guitar pristeen, do their advertising on the pedal bar where it doesn't detract so much from the beauty of the instrument?????

Jim West

Post  Posted 9 Jun 2002 7:47 am    

This is kind of like a prenuptial agreement; planning your divorce before you get married. If your thinkin' 'bout sellin' the guitar before you buy it, maybe you shouldn't buy it in the first place. Ya think?

Ben Jack

Fayettevillle, Ar. * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2002 7:58 am    

AMEN to what Jim West said .

Ben Jack

Bill Llewellyn

San Jose, CA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2002 7:59 am    

Now I can see why steelers have such a hard time with their instruments when playing out doors, if black is such a popular color. Black absorbs sunlight and heats up the guitar, making the tuning drift. The solution? Reflective polished chrome guitars!

------------------
Bill L | My steel page | Email | My music | Steeler birthdays | Over 50?

[This message was edited by Bill Llewellyn on 09 June 2002 at 09:00 AM.]

Timmy Witt

Rocky Face, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2002 9:38 am    

My Emmons is a dark blue, and I love the color. I personally would not want a black guitar. If you can't sell it, I'm sure someone would take it on trade and give you a fair trade.

------------------
Tim
1990 Lashley Legrande D10 8 & 4. Profex II, Blue Tube II, Nashville 400

Richard Plummer

nashville tennessee
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2002 2:02 pm    

No Jim I dont.

Frank Parish

Nashville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2002 2:05 pm    

Joey,
You joked about a pink guitar but I know guy that had a pink and white mica 67 p/p. Ugliest guitar I ever seen. It was a good guitar until it got in a fight at Tootsies and must have gotten sat on. The body was broken and couldn't be played anymore. The guy told me he fixed it but I wouldn't want it after that. As far as colors go I've got a black mica p/p and a sunburst wood body p/p and the only thing I've seen I liked as much or better would have to be some of those multi mica Zums I've seen. I don't know why everyone isn't going that way on mica their guitars.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2002 2:11 pm    

Come in guys, everybody knows that green steel guitars sound better than those of other colors. Followed by dark blue, black red purple and light blue, in that order.

Yellow guitars suck. Lead and steel.

------------------
God made only a few perfect heads. He put hair on the rest to cover his mistakes.

Barbara Hennerman

** R.I.P. **
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2002 3:32 pm    

I totally agree with Gil. I think it's a crime to put stuff on the steel body. Advertise somewhere else ... like he said ... on the pedal bar. I had a black ZB. I played on a flat bed truck with Freddie Hart one summer ... I had a rippled fret board when I got finished. Ticked me off. Plus I was burned to a crisp.

[This message was edited by Barbara Hennerman on 09 June 2002 at 04:34 PM.]

Richard Plummer

nashville tennessee
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2002 4:48 am    

The only drawback I could see in putting the name of the guitar only on the pedal board,is something that could possibly happen.What if a person were to say make a guitar themselves,and it wasnt very good.They could say put say an Emmons name plate that they could buy from the company on the front of it and say it was that brand.Then they could be long gone with the cash when they sell.
Just my two cents though I dont know how much it is worth in this matter.
I by the way like the name of the guitar on the front.This way people can see what is being played.

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2002 5:39 am    

Beauty is in the eye of the bar-holder.

Not for me, but then I don't use 13 strings.

[This message was edited by Joey Ace on 16 June 2002 at 05:53 AM.]

Gil Berry

Westminster, CA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2002 6:43 am    

Sheesh! Don't know if it's a steel guitar or a new entry into NASCAR....At least you aren't likely to miss it on stage...

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2002 9:02 am    

Then, I think Robert met his objective.

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2000 Fessenden S-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro

Steve Stallings

Houston/Cypress, Texas
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2002 9:08 am    

uhhmm.... I own the teal guitar which you reference in the first post. It is a visually striking guitar and sounds quite nice.
I take issue with a couple of statements however.
1. Simply because you didn't get what you were asking for the guitar does not mean that it sold at "unheard of prices". The simple fact is that you were selling a USED guitar. It doesn't matter if it's one day old or one year old. It was used. Condition and color are certainly a factor, but actually, your guitar was sold at the bottom end of the market, but certainly within the range of excellent condition D10's.
2. Richard, nothing personal, but your guitars selling price was all about the way you posted...not the color. I really don't mean this as an attack or a slam. Please don't take it that way. Your ads, and daily, or even twice daily updates.... simply shrieked of desperation and actually began to sound bitter and panicky before you sold the guitar to my best friend. I later traded him a Zum straight up for the teal guitar....sight unseen. The fact that it was a late model D10 Emmons was the mitigating factor for me.

Really, the fact that it was teal, had little to do with the final sales price. If you had been patient you would have gotten a little more money, but your starting price was not very realistic. I do believe that color is a factor, but to infer that a teal colored steel is virtually unsaleable because it is teal is not really acurate.

Patience my friend.....

------------------
Steve Stallings
Bremond, Texas

Richard Plummer

nashville tennessee
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2002 11:11 am    

I meant Emmons pedal board not the name plate in the last response post.

Richard Plummer

nashville tennessee
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2002 11:16 am    

I plan to be patient if the situation arises again yes. Yep I plan to have a couple of them just to fall back on and sit on it. Maybe 6,maybe 8 maybe 10 Maybe they will be all black.

Richard Plummer

nashville tennessee
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2002 12:06 pm    

Steve please dont :O me on the forum.If you feel you have to lecture me please send me and email and dont do it over cyberspace.
If anyone wants to email me I will give you the story about what happened on the sale of my Emmons.I refuse to do it on the forum.
Also I just wanted to know the experience people have had selling new and used guitars in regards to the colors and thought it would make an interesting post.
Also for information purposes,After the situation with the sale of my guitar I notified Bob the forum moderater about all the details for his information.

Steve Stallings

Houston/Cypress, Texas
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2002 12:50 pm    

Richard....
I am sorry. I didn't mean to "lecture" you. I just felt that there was more than the color of the guitar driving the price.

really.... not dissing you bro.

------------------
Steve Stallings
Bremond, Texas

Bob Carlson

Surprise AZ.
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2002 9:10 pm    

This 70 year old kid has a Derby Red Emmons SD-10 and I love it. I also have a Crimson Red Tele.

I think because the man played a Black Emmons for years will forever make it a color that will sell.

Bob.

[This message was edited by Bob Carlson on 15 June 2002 at 10:12 PM.]

Richard Plummer

nashville tennessee
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2002 5:42 am    

So I must confess to all that I called Emmons company and changed the color the the highest gloss black he could get his hands on.This should solve the problem for me lol. This way there will be no what ifs in my mind.