The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Please Help me with my MSA
Todd Pertll

Chicago, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2002 10:56 am    

This may belong in the elctronics section, but I'll try it here first. I play an early 70's MSA U-12. When ever I run my steel at a somewhat high volume I get a low feedback hum that has nothing to do with string vibration. I get the same result through both my Fender Twin and my Nash. 400. Do I need a new pick-up? Or, is there an easier solution?

Thanks,

Todd

Johan Jansen

Europe
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2002 10:59 am    

What happens when you decrease volume with your volumepedal?
If it's away then, its the pedal.
JJ

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2002 11:12 am    

Maybe it IS feedback. Is your pickup near your amp? Do you crank the bass up on your amp? Do you hear it when you completely mute your strings? (if so, Johan may be right -- or you may have a bad pickup). Does it do it when plugged straight into your amp? (no volume pedal)

A tuning like C6 or the low register of a universal generates some pretty heavy duty low overtones. You may not even have to pick the 12th string. Since it's a B as well, playing the 9th may make the 12th vibrate sympathetically. This can cause feedback from your pickup through your amp, especially when you have the bass turned up high.

Turn the bass down (maybe, in half?) and see if the problem persists. I've had the same problem on certain stages and certain rooms, but it WAS string vibration.

Hope this helps. Send me EMail if you want to discuss it further.

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2000 Fessenden S-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro

[This message was edited by Larry Bell on 11 June 2002 at 12:36 PM.]

Todd Pertll

Chicago, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2002 11:42 am    

I can hold both hands on the strings, have the amp about 3-4 feet behind me with it facing away from me at about a 30 degree angle, and I still get the problem. It does help when I roll off of the lows, but I was hoping there was something else I could do about it.

Steve Stallings

Houston/Cypress, Texas
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2002 12:07 pm    

Todd.... does the hum go away when you unplug the guitar? If it does, replace your pickup with a BL Humbucker and it will solve your problem.

------------------
Steve Stallings
Bremond, Texas

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2002 12:22 pm    

Then I'd try what Steve suggests. A BL712 may sound good in an MSA. I have an extra one that's about a year old -- came out of a Fessy -- not sure if it's the same form factor, but it might be worth a shot. Let me know if you can use it.

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2000 Fessenden S-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro

Michael Brebes

Northridge CA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2002 2:25 pm    

If it's an early 70's then it has the single coil pickup, which will probably be prone to feedback at high volumes. I agree that you might want to put a Lawrence 712 pickup in it. I've had two MSAs and put the L710s in them and they sound much better than the original single coil or the Super Sustain. Much cleaner.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2002 3:10 pm    

I had the same problem when I had the stock pickup in my MSA. I initially solved the problem by buying a 10 band graphic equalizer and put it between the volume pedal and amp, and dialing out the frequency that was feeding back

However, I eventually replaced the pickup, and once I did I no longer had the problem. I now use a George L 5 position pickup on my lacquer guitar, and a Lawrence 712 in my mica one, and have no problems with either one.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2002 5:11 pm    

Does this happen everywhere you play? What kind of volume pedal are you using? Have you tried different cords? Admittedly, the single coil isn't a quiet pickup, but it's never been so severe with mine that it has bothered my playing. It does sound like 60-cycle hum that you're getting, though. Yes, a "humbucker" would eliminate most of it, but might change your tone as well. Are you pleased with your tone now? If you are, I'd leave it alone.

Fact of life, mine "roars" too, if I floor the pedal and I'm not playing anything. (I always run the amp wide-open, though.)

Jim Phelps

Mexico City, Mexico
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2002 9:07 am    

I'd bet your pickup is microphonic. My '73 MSA D-12 does the same thing when I really crank up the amp (for headroom, y'know; I don't play that loud!) and floor the volume pedal. In my case, I'm sure it's the pickups and not the wiring or volume pedal since each neck has a different feedback frequency and threshhold...I haven't done anything about it yet cuz it's not critical but if yours is, I'd put in a different pickup.