The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Clinesmith 8 string Joaquin model lap steel on order
Scott Swenson

NE Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2014 2:34 pm    

After copious amounts of research here and on the web, I decided to pull the trigger & I ordered up a Clinesmith 8 string Joaquin Model lap steel from Todd.
I'm new to playing lap steel, but I've been playing regular 6 string guitar since 1968. At 58 years old, I decided to go ahead & dive into something I've wanted to do for a long time, since I've been a fan of lap steel for what seems like forever. I joined the forum, & have been trying to soak up all that I can until the Clinesmith is completed.

I'd like to extend my appreciation to everyone who shares all of the great info found here, & I'd also like to send a shout out to Mike Neer, & all the other Clinesmith owners that have posted about their steels.
I was trying to pick between the Clinesmith & the Sierra lap steel, & you guys made it a no-brainer for which way I should go. Not that the Sierra isn't a great steel, but at the end of the day I just thought that a more traditional sounding lap steel was the path I should go down.

A big thanks to Todd Clinesmith as well, for being super patient with me and answering all my questions...

Needless to say, I'm stoked!!! Very Happy

Last edited by Scott Swenson on 15 Jan 2014 5:45 pm; edited 2 times in total

Jerome Hawkes

Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2014 3:26 pm    

Yeap - Mike has sold a bunch of us on those - that's where I first saw one. Ended up getting a S-8 and a few years later a T-8. Unfortunately had to sell the S-8 to finance the other, which in hindsight wasn't a good idea as dragging around a T-8 is a PITA...

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2014 3:41 pm    

Of the Bigbsy-style guitars Todd has been building for several years now, is there one specifically that he is actually calling the "Joaquin Murphey" model these days?

Scott Swenson

NE Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2014 4:12 pm    

My mistake. I looked back at the email Todd sent me & he called it the Joaquin Model.

This is it:

Isaac Akuna

Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2014 4:55 pm     8 string clinsmith

Hey Jerome,would you happen to know what your T-8 weighs? My double (with case) goes for about 49 pounds.

Isaac Akuna

Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2014 4:57 pm    

almost forgot...Congrats to Scot. Todd was super to work with. Without a doubt, I am extremely happy.
All the best.

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2014 4:58 pm    

Close enough Scott on the name - he just elected to leave off the "Murphey" part. Not unless actor Joaquin Phoenix has completely put his rapper phase behind him, he's into lap steel now, and Todd named it in his honor. Laughing

Yeah - that is a sweet steel. I have one of Todd's resonators, it's a beauty, and I've been GASing for a Clinesmith steel for a good long while, but this pesky lack-of-funds thing keeps rearing its ugly head.

Todd Clinesmith

Lone Rock Free State Oregon
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2014 5:11 pm    

The Joaquin model is the correct name for it. Since the design is based off of the two D-8's built for Joaquin in '44 and '48.
I build these in 6, 8 and 10 string models. I have built a few 7's too.
Also add in the D-8 Joaquin model to the list ... tho I cannot seem to upload photos of them to the forum.
One of my 2014 goals to to get my web site up to date. I build quite a few Steel guitar models not mentioned there, with a few more on there way to production. And I have built close to 100 more resonator guitars since the web site was updated 6 or so years ago.

Yes... Thank you Mike Neer. He has turned a lot of people on to my instruments. He also gives and puts a lot of energy into sharing himself and his abilities to the forum. I think it is in his nature to give and share the things he enjoys. Like the way he got the Joaquin Murphy reprints out there in no time at all. He is one of those guys who are making the world a better place.
Todd

Jerome Hawkes

Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2014 6:47 pm    

I agree about Mike - got to meet him last year at the TSGA show in Dallas and a nicer guy you won't find. It was like we were old acquaintances. His set was great and his Clinesmith sounded fabulous. We got to hang out a bit and Mike played his S-8 thru one of Brad Sarno's new octal preamps - it was true bliss. Those steels match up perfectly with that pre.

Issac - I don't have a scale to weigh it, maybe Todd knows. It's in the same range as my emmons d-10 as far as weight. I'd guess 10 extra lbs for the third neck. I did luck out & get the last "bigsby" style case, which may save a few lbs over the modern ones.
I should clarify when I say it's a PITA, with the group I play in, I only get maybe 2-3 songs a set on steel, so a S-8 is far more practical. If I was in a position to play it full time then -oh my!

Todd - what came of the "bigsby meets frypan" proto you mentioned before - with 22.5" scale?

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2014 7:12 pm    

Congrats on the order. You won't be disappointed. It's great to start off with a quality instrument--they make you want to play better and they always invite you to play more.

I don't know who this Mike Neer guy you are going on about, but he sounds like a swell guy and I'll bet he has a head to match. Laughing

Todd Clinesmith

Lone Rock Free State Oregon
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2014 7:56 pm     Cast steels

Jerome,
The cast steels are going to be available this year. As I stated on a earlier thread, I do not want to go into too much detail but i can say:
They will be made for 8 strings tho 6 and 7 strings will be possible
22.5 and 24 7/8 scale
String thru body design
custom string spacing options
I will be offering my standard blade pickup as well as another I will for now call an "Adolf meets PA" style pickup .
I do have a "contact when ready" list started. Also anyone who wants to be kept in the loop as these progress feel free to email me and I'll put you on the list.
I will not send spam, other self promotional or marketing emails . I'll just keep you informed about the cast steel model.
Todd

Rob Fenton

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2014 9:37 am    

I just received my new Joaquin model S8 from Todd yesterday. It's a thing of beauty, in both appearance, and sound.

Now, I'm going to email Todd, and get on that "notice list".

Congrats on your order! I'm sure you'll love it.

Scott Swenson

NE Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2014 3:16 pm    

Thanks everyone...

Rob, do you have any pix of your new beauty?

Scott Swenson

NE Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2014 2:43 am     Update...

I just got the update from Todd that my lap steel is done & will ship out on Monday.
WooHoo!!! Cant wait!!!
I'm really looking forward to laying a bar on the strings & playing it.

Many thanks to Todd for all his help! He went the extra yards to answer all my questions, & provide the info I needed to know.

Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2014 4:29 am    

Mine too!!!

Todd is very nice to work with. Mine will have a couple custom option.

- 2 3/8 at nut and 2 3/4 at bridge
- no volume control
- reverse tone pot for easy boo-wha effect
- no pickup cover
- 3 legs sockets (I have the legs) the steel is thicker

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2014 5:24 am    

Haha Scott, that's the best happy dance icon I've ever seen on here Smile I'll be doing that same dance in a few LONG months...recently got my order in for a new D-8. Congratulations !!!!

Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2014 6:03 am    

Yeah congratulation Rick! The Clinesmith owner club is getting bigger!

Scott you start with the best! Like you I do the happy dance just thinking I will be have this steel soon!

I will have more pictures soon but there is mine!

Scott Swenson

NE Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2014 11:13 am    

I didn't get a pickup cover either. Seemed like it would get in the way.
Todd said he put in a 100k linear tone pot for the boo-wah.
Other than that, it's stock. I'm getting a Deluxe 34 stand from Mark Roeder, so it's a normal thickness body with no leg inserts.
As far as custom nut & bridge widths, I really had no point of reference so I just went with stock.

YeeHah!!!!!!

Gary Brekke

Alaska, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2014 8:19 am     Clinesmith

Scott, can't wait to hear about NSGD! I'm getting excited for you!! Mr. Green

Scott Swenson

NE Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2014 8:56 am     Re: Clinesmith

Gary Brekke wrote:
Scott, can't wait to hear about NSGD! I'm getting excited for you!! Mr. Green

Trick Rider!!!
Won't be long now...

I have to give a shout out to my old friend Gary too. You've helped me immensely with all my questions.

We go back aways... to the mid-seventies, even before you bought your awesome Sho-Bud from Clem at the Pedal Steel Guitar Emporium.

I'll bring my Clinesmith to Phoenix next January so you can try it out, or if that's too long to wait, head on down to Sconnie Land for EAA if you can swing it. Whoa!

Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2014 7:27 am    

Todd gave me more pictures of my steel. I can't wait to play and hear it!

Scott Swenson

NE Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2014 1:38 pm    

Jean, yours looks awesome!