The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  messages from Ron Lashley Jr to the steel guitar community.
Richard Plummer

nashville tennessee
Post  Posted 24 May 2002 3:24 am    

Talked to Ron Lashley Jr. on Monday morning and he wanted to pass along this information to the steel guitar community.
About the length of time it takes to get a steel guitar built and shipped to people he wanted to appolagize and to say he is doing the best he can.He has a severe backorder list and sometimes, guitars are delayed due to the waiting period of some parts.Some things have to be ordered from other places.He says once the backorder problem is taken care of on the guitars,that the wait time should be right at about 10-12 weeks.PLEASE BE PATIENT.
He also realizes there was a big big subject on the forum,on Billy Jenkins who had to wait about 8 or 9 months for his new legrande 111.That guitar was ordered when Jim Accoth still owned the company.Ron never received the money for the deposit from him,but he still built him a guitar without charging him another dime.He says who else would do that for a person?He didnt have to do that.He could honestly have told him,tough luck,you want the guitar you will have to pay again.He also says there is a big difference from waiting a periodperiod of time for a guitar and never receiving what you pay for.
Ron doesnt have the time to hang out at the forum and besides he knows nothing of computers.He calls himself a computer dummy.The only thing he knows how to do is build guitars, and in his words,he believes that he builds the best in the world,The cadillac of steels in his words.
He told me for everyone to please be careful what you say on here about his company or anyone elses.He shudders at the thought of the damage that can be done,especially in this frail economy with the effect of peoples opinions online or offline.He has never failed to deliver what has been payed for and will continue this track record of success to the steel guitar world.
As far as the Emmons website in the past months,he says the steel comunity had a right to be upset.He was also,but there was another webhoster that was supposed to be taking care of it.He appolagizes for it, and it appears the problem may be solved.There is alot more stuff on there now.
Just wanted to pass it along . Richard

Bob Carlson

Surprise AZ.
Post  Posted 24 May 2002 5:13 pm    

I beleive this is a good time to just let sleeping dogs lie.

Bob.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 25 May 2002 1:50 am    

I held off posting this for several months. I met Ron and Rebecca many months ago at the Emmons shop in Burlington right after they took the business back . I was very impressed with the attitude displayed by Ron and Rebecca and the outlook they had about building Steel guitars. Plus they were fine folks to just hang and talk with. At the time the forum was over run by issues and opinions. I recently saw Bobbe Seymour and asked him about the new Emmons Guitars he was receiving and he told me that in his opinion ( and I think his is of high regard on the subject) that Ron Jr. was buiding the best Pedal Steel guitars he had ever seen. The quality was superior. He pointed out some areas on the Steel where Ron was " fanatic" about craftsmanship and the common slug ( like me ) would never even realize it.

I am considering a new Emmons purchase down the road..

tp

[This message was edited by Tony Prior on 26 May 2002 at 09:08 AM.]

Jeff Peterson

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2002 7:46 pm    

Jim Aycothe never owned the company. Ron and Co. are turning out guitars of at least equal(or better) quality as any that ever came out of the Emmons factory.....and that means the best anywhere. Anyone looking for quality, should realize the time involved...and be ready to wait for same. Waiting for one of the 'boutique' guitars stems from a different reason than waiting for an Emmons.....the former because, usually, one guy is making it.....and the latter because of back-orders.
I really like being able to get exact replacement/change parts that I don't have to retro-fit.....and being able to get them in 10, 20, or even 30 years....I fully intend to be around to annoy ya'll at least that long. Gimme' an' E!!

Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2002 9:11 pm    

Here's yer E
E - EEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeee!
now gimmie an M
M - MMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmm!
gimmie another M
M - MMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmm!
gimmie an O
O - OOOOOOOOooooooooooo!
gimmie an N
N - NNNNNNNNnnnnnnnnnnn!
gimmie an S
S - SSSSSSSSsssssssssss!

*****now whatcha got!
THE BEST DAMN STEEL GUITAR EVER BUILT

[This message was edited by Nick Reed on 26 May 2002 at 08:36 PM.]

Richard Plummer

nashville tennessee
Post  Posted 26 May 2002 5:39 am    

Thanks Jeff Nick and Tony.I didnt in any wise make the post to stir up trouble and am not sorry for it.Ron himself asked for me to post the topic so I did.In my mind as it should be in everyone elses,this is as if Ron himself has gotten on here and posted the topic.In his mind he doesnt have time for the internet,doesnt know how to operate computers at all and would rather be known for being a master steel guitar builder, than master internet and computer guru.
RON I COULDNT HAVE SAID IT BETTER THAN THAT MYSELF.
EMMONS:THE STANDARD TO WHICH ALL OTHERS ARE JUDGED. YEA
Richard

Richard Plummer

nashville tennessee
Post  Posted 26 May 2002 5:42 am    

Ron also told me that the next run of counterforce will be reenginered.Apparently they will be even easier to tune as well as the pedals being easier to push also. Something I forgot to put in the first posting.I will be curious to get my hands on the new run of steels.He has invited all interested parties to come and take a tour of the Emmons factory and to see how things are taking shape there.I may have to make a run down there myself.

B.Jenkins

Parkersburg, WV...U.S.A
Post  Posted 26 May 2002 12:50 pm    

Mr.Plummer
your above account of my dealings with the Emmons Guitar co. is NOT totally correct.
My initial order was for a D-10 LeGrande II with 8&6...
On a visit with my heart doctor, I was told that I should not be lifting that much weight...
So I called and Told Rebecca to change my order to a single on a double wide body and make it a LeGrande III..
And it is a beautiful steel, plays as good as it lookls, I called Ron a couple of weeks ago he had just opened for business..
When I first ordered the steel I sent the Emmons Company a Bank Check in full for my steel...
But when this single 10 was shipped I was charged over $300.00 extra.. I was told it was because I went from a LeGrande II to a LeGrande III.. This is on my credit cards.If you would need proof of what I'm telling you.....
But all in all it was a learning experince that was taught real well, and I myself wont forget that course..
God Bless
Billy Jenkins

Richard Plummer

nashville tennessee
Post  Posted 26 May 2002 3:18 pm    

Billy:That is what Ron told me he could recollect.Again at least you didnt get charged in full for a second guitar.

B.Jenkins

Parkersburg, WV...U.S.A
Post  Posted 26 May 2002 5:19 pm    

Mr.Plummer; you are so right, and I couldnt ask for any better steel then what the Emmons folks made me, I've wanted an Emmons since 1963 and it took me this long to get one,

Take care
Billy.......

Richard Plummer

nashville tennessee
Post  Posted 26 May 2002 6:21 pm    

Thanks Billy I know Ron will be appreciative. Glad you love your new steel.
I will let Ron know what you think of it when I talk to him the next time.I usually talk to him once or twice a month.

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2002 6:48 pm    

"Jim Aycothe never owned the company"

Is it correct that Jim Aycoth never owned Emmons? I never heard that. If he didn't, who was the owner when Ron Jr took over?

carl

Richard Plummer

nashville tennessee
Post  Posted 27 May 2002 4:59 am    

I understand he was paying it off and missed payments.According to Ron,when he knew he was going to lose the company,he pulled a truck up to the back door,and filled it up with all the parts and things he could get in there,trying to make it impossible for him to operate.Again this is from Rons lips.

RON PRESTON

Dodson, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2002 9:32 am    

Hell, it NEVER ENDS...If you go back into the archives, and look up my name, you will see where I posted telling you guys that Jim NEVER Bought the Co. I will not go into all of WHY, Because Ron Jr. is a Dear friend, and he just might NOT want EVERYONE KNOWING how it ALL WENT DOWN. I had said in another thread that I was at the shows working for Jim and Joann, when I HEARD ALL KINDS OF BULL^$%$#@ that Jim would tell people how they "OWNED" the Co. Jack Strayhorn KNOWS about how it all came about, BUT, that is another thread at a different time, and I AINT TELLING. And, FWIW, I KNOW that Jim tries to take credit for several things that I know HE HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH...AND DON'T ASK...What comes around, goes around.
Havagooday!

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2002 9:57 am    

Ron,

Thanks for straightening this old timer out.

I have a question and some comments.

If Jim Aycoth did not own Emmons, WHO did?

Did Ron pass away still owning it? or what?

Now my comments.

When I produced the first steel show in Atlanta, I contacted every manufacturer/distributor listed in Scotty's program for 1996 and 1997.

Obviously, one was Emmons. A number of them came which I was and am eternally greatful. Some explained why they could not make it. Which I appreciated more than you know. And ALL of them with the lone exception of Emmons, were extremely gracious to me whether they were able to come or not.

Emmons never once responded to my request, even though I asked on several ocassions. However they DID come in a very limited way. Not at all like they have done at other shows.

I know they had their reasons. But I found it odd that the Atlanta show was the CLOSEST one to the factory. AND it was advertised as the biggest! Even though in reality it never achieved that "biggest" by a long shot. BUT the potential WAS there, IF I could hafe gotten the support. Which did not come for all practical purposes. Even though I had many many promises both in writing AND tel calls.

The second comment I have is. Having been closely associated with a number of manufacturers on an inside basis during my career, I have often said that...

It takes a will and a determination and a dedication unbelievable to survive as a PSG manufacturer. The money is just not there. NO professional business man in his right mind would even consider trying to make a buck building PSG's.

The market is just NOT there. The product is Too custom, too difficult and too few possible customers to even begin to make it fly from a strictly business point of view.

God bless the late Ron Lashley, Bruce Zumsteg, Del Mullens, Herb Remingto, Bud Carter and the Fabiens, Jerry Fessenden, Gene Fields and others who have persevered and given their blood and tears trying to further our beloved instrument.

But as a business that is another store. I hope and pray with all my soul that the new MSA that I hear about can make this thing fly. They HAVE their work cut out for them.

carl

RON PRESTON

Dodson, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2002 1:42 pm    

Let me clairify one thing....Jim and Joann TECHNICHLY(spelling was taught to me by Bobby Seymore ....)owned Emmons, But, they DID NOT BUY IT!
That is ALL I can say, folks, if ya want to know more, it will be through other people other than me. If Ron Jr. wants to tell you, that is his buisness, and I do not want to lose Rons' friendship over something as silly as this.

[This message was edited by RON PRESTON on 27 May 2002 at 02:43 PM.]

Richard Plummer

nashville tennessee
Post  Posted 27 May 2002 4:38 pm    

Thanks Ron for the posting.I was not aware of it,as I havnt been a registered user on the forum for that long of a period of time.
Again,the purpose of the posting was not to ruffle feathers,but to pass along information to people from the Emmons company. Certainly people want to know what is going on with them.As you say,and I agree,that there is a fine line between manufacturing cost and profit for the company.There are so very few companies that we all want to see them succeed.I dont want this thread to get into the situation where Bob has to close it, like he had to close the thread on MSA.Again this was something that was posted because of Rons lack of time for the internet and lack of computer expertiese. Richard

B.Jenkins

Parkersburg, WV...U.S.A
Post  Posted 27 May 2002 4:40 pm    

Reguardless who did own it, from the instrument that was built and sent to me, one thing I can say, it's in the hands of a very skilled craftsman,
There are some steels on the market that our made so fast and shipped, That the UPS truck has to slow down on the road ,to give the glue on the body a chance to setup.
Then there is another one, that one of my friends ordered from the factory,and when he got it the 8 floor pedals was not setup nor 2 of his knee leavers, Must have been a bomb scare that day. I've had my LeGrande III now for a few months and I have not had to tune it since I took it from the case, I put the meter on it and it hangs in their like a hair on a cheesburger. If I ever get the money to own a Universal 12, It will be another Emmons LeGrande III...
I'm sold on the Emmons sinced I got this one.
Take care.....
Billy Jenkins

Richard Plummer

nashville tennessee
Post  Posted 27 May 2002 4:40 pm    

Also I dont plan on losing Rons friendship either because of the posting of this subject.
He asked me to do it and I did.

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2002 5:20 pm    

Quote:
If I ever get the money to own a Universal 12, It will be another Emmons LeGrande III...
You'll have to convince Emmons to build 12 string LeGrande's for that. Last I heard, they were so far behind on 10 string orders that building 12 strings is not in their plans.

B.Jenkins

Parkersburg, WV...U.S.A
Post  Posted 27 May 2002 11:50 pm    

Look's like I'll have to have Mr.Seymour to redo a single 10 for me then......
Billy Jenkins

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 28 May 2002 6:27 am    

What Jim says is true. I play a U-12 Emmons and it was built in 1969. I'd love the option of a LeGrande III with all the trimmings, but Emmons has never built an all-pull 12 string to my knowledge. Other than JCH, Emmons is the only mfgr I'm aware of who doesn't.

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2000 Fessenden S-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Emmons D-10 9x9, 1971 Dobro

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 May 2002 9:42 am    

Larry- and I say- Why don't they? That is the future trend and they could sell a ton of them.....al

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 28 May 2002 10:18 am    

Quote:
That is the future trend and they could sell a ton of them
Hi Al,
I'm curious as to why you feel this is the "future trend". Are the numbers of U-12's made and sold in fact increasing each year? Not trying to argue with you, my friend, just wondering cuz I hadn't heard this.

Steve Stallings

Houston/Cypress, Texas
Post  Posted 28 May 2002 11:55 am    

arghhhhhh!

Whew!..... I feel much better now! )

proud owner of two...count em, two Emmons guitars.

------------------
Steve Stallings
Bremond, Texas