The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Legrande Gig Bag Deconstructed
John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2014 11:04 am    

This is a Kaces 49 key Keyboard gig bag from Musician's Friend I carry my Legrande D10 in. I made a platform of 1/8" hardboard with padding that fits inside. The angle piece is a Uline pallet corner(hard thick cardboard) you can find as refuse at any warehouse. This bag is fine for hand carrying my Emmons in the car. Roger Crawford bought a Kaces 61 key case for his mint condition Legrande D10 to allow for extra foam protection! BTW the legs and pedal bar are in Bulldog Tactical Shotgun case, BD-492-35.....I'll be at the Atlanta Show and Southeastern Steel Show in Feb if you want to check it out..JS

Last edited by John Swain on 10 Sep 2015 9:53 am; edited 1 time in total

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2014 11:40 am    

Good luck when you drop your guitar that one time and throw your endplates out of alignment. It never ceases to amaze me how some people will penney pinch on protecting their $4000 instruments with a properly constructed hard shell case.

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2014 12:09 pm    

It is not a matter of penny pinching! Some guys on this forum (me included) suffer from back pain and weight is a real problem, so therefore when travelling in my (our) car I use a gig bag and place it on rear seat, I carry it into gig,for flying gigs or van gigs I use a light weight Scott Dixon flight case , but even struggle with this.Even split cases can still be too heavy.Kevin builds good cases but as I have pointed out to him in previous threads ,I think this makes his views a trifle biased.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.

Last edited by Malcolm McMaster on 11 Jan 2014 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2014 1:19 pm    

Kevin, the, only time I dropped my guitar in 40 years of playing was when the handle broke on an Emmons p/p case! But it's as Malcolm said, not about penny-pinching, it's all about weight. This bag with insert weighs six pounds,that's probably half what a hard case weighs. And I don't have $4000 into this guitar anyway.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2014 2:06 pm    

This is a great tip, John. I've just started learning on an old D10 which is in a one-piece marine ply box which would survive most disasters, but I'm 62, I've never injured my back, and I want to stay that way. I was planning a split case but your idea is better.

I have carted my trombone in a gig bag these many years and I've got round the problem of dropping it by not dropping it. I shall customise a keyboard bag just like you've done. I've got another old trombone bag I can use for the legs as shotgun bags aren't quite so everyday over here (although we don't know how many illegally-held trombones are lurking in people's garages).

Fred Rushing

Odin, IL, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2014 7:45 pm     Gig bag

John. Very nice setup. Thanks for taking time to post the pictures.

Fred

Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2015 1:50 pm    

I just got this bag. It fits my MSA D-10 very snug. I only play 3-5 times a year away from my house. Great weight savings as my case weighs quite a bit. I also ordered the gun case for my leg/rod bag and pedal bar. If I were gigging regularly,I would use fiberboard cases. This is a compromise I can live with. Thanks for the info !

Scott Denniston

Hahns Peak, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2015 2:15 pm    

John I see a 49 key bag at MF but no 41. You sure? Anyway I've been thinking of trying that kind of thing for a while. I'll measure my Bud professional & see what it would fit in. The gun case is a great idea too.

Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2015 2:18 pm    

It's the 49 key bag.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2015 3:45 pm    

Malcolm -- "Wheels" mate .... !!!! Very Happy
If someone runs into your car at moderate speed that gig bag is just going to explode bits of PSG all over the inside of the car Laughing
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2015 3:59 pm    

Isn't life full of "what if's" ? LOL

Asa Brosius

Post  Posted 8 Sep 2015 4:28 pm    

Great idea for certain situations. In my experience psg cases offer the protection of a bike helmet- one hard bang, the instrument may be ok, and the case needs to be repaired or replaced. Short of a flight case, sometimes a heavy necessity, does anyone make a hard plastic padded case? high density padding to absorb shock, gator style, etc.? standard cases have always struck me as inadequate for such mechanically complex instruments.
That said, a set-up double-neck stands snug in the back of an 07 honda fit- a slightly more expensive mobile case with marginally better protection.

Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2015 6:50 pm    

Asa, Kevin Hatton makes beautiful split padded cases. If your gigging regular I would suggest those as well

John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2015 7:35 pm    

Yes, this is a 49 key keyboard case from Kaces. I've been using these for two years with no problems. Total weight of both cases is six pounds. I would never try to ship or fly with these,that said, they get the job done for total outlay of $67!

Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2015 10:50 pm    

My bad back thanks you John !

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2015 1:52 am    

Thanks John, serious consideration, I had been looking for alternatives.

And no, I have never dropped a Steel guitar, an amp or any other Instrument in the 50 years I have been playing gigs and transporting gear...

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Asa Brosius

Post  Posted 9 Sep 2015 3:11 am    

Thanks Dustin- I understand people are happy with the Hatton cases, but they don't address any of the issues I mentioned.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2015 4:27 am    

I had the handle break on an Emmons D-10 PP case, too, after only two years. A warning to others with older Emmons cases (my Emmons was an early 71 model).

Jonathan Lam

Brooklyn, NY
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2015 4:29 am    

Malcolm,
can you post a photo of your scott dixon case??

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2015 9:39 am    

Asa Brosius wrote:
...does anyone make a hard plastic padded case? high density padding to absorb shock, gator style, etc.?...

SKB 3I-3614-6B-L iSeries http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?id=652&c=125&o=&s=81. These weigh about ~17 lbs, will fit an S-10 complete or a D-10 body only, they're waterproof, wheeled, I have one for a Sho-Bud single neck. You can get one for about $180 shipped, Plano makes a similar case for about $80-$90, I'm don't know if it's as stout as the SKB (the SKB is really stout) -- they're primarily used for guns.

Billy Murdoch

Glasgow, Scotland, U.K.
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2015 12:05 pm    

The SKB case illustrated above would save Me about one pond in weight.My Fred Justice case weighs 18 pounds.

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2015 1:39 pm    

Paddy, Scott Dixon has wheels, amp and seat go on lightweight trolley. The guitar in gig bag on rear seat with seatbelt holding it, is in safest part of car. My good friend Willie Gamble had his Emmons in it's case in trunk of his car parked outside gig when it was hit by a bus, the car was a write off and case was badly damaged , and although the guitar looked ok he has had tuning problems with it ever since, so I recon safest place is within car on back Seat whether it is in gig bag or case.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2015 1:49 pm    

Jonathan, will try and get pics for you , have a look at the Scott Dixon website ,think they are on there.
The only pics I have at moment are external shots.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2015 3:52 pm    

Malcolm I hope your guitar never comes to grief in that gig bag - personally I wouldn't risk it !
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

James Holland

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2015 4:25 pm    

The only way to protect anything from a drop, is to not drop it. Examples: a Martin D28, a saxophone, an ipad, a baby, a fifth of Pappy Van Winkle, etc. The point is, most things are designed to be handled, unprotected, and not in a case. I'm more worried about what happens to my instruments during transit, when they are in their cases, or sitting on stage, vulnerable to distracted folks. I'm never worried about them when they are in my hands, case or not.