The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Is it Buck Trent or is it steel guitar?
Tommy Auldridge

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2014 1:13 pm    

Porter Wagoner's song "The Caroll Co. Accident" I've always had my opinion about the instrument that's so dominant in that song. Some people think it's Buck Trent with his electric banjo, and some people think it's a pedal steel with a capo and some hammer on's.
What do you think? Nobody will ever change my mind, but I just thought I would bring it up for discussion. Listen to it very closely before you make up your mind. Tommy.......

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2014 2:23 pm    

I know what you're saying about "listen carefully" because the tone or timbre on the studio recording is decidedly different than on the link to the first video below of Porter and company on TV in 1970, but I'm going with Buck Trent on the electric banjo in both examples.

TV show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8jJq4rBsZc

Studio recording:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj_dK-O0PP8

Tommy Auldridge

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2014 3:33 pm     youtube link from Mark

Mark: Thanks for posting that link, so that everyone can hear the Studio version, and listen before they decide.Tommy......

Will Houston

Tempe, Az
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2014 4:18 pm    

I just saw Buck recently on Marty Stuart and the way he keeps tunning his strings up and down I was thinking it sounds like a pedal banjo( sorry b0b). Haven't heard that song in who knows how long, I'll have to get the album out and give a listen.

Paul Norman

Washington, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2014 6:55 pm    

There is no doubt. Buck Trent , banjo.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2014 7:18 pm    

twangin' buck trent!

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2014 7:34 pm    

Buck Mooney

Alvin Blaine

Picture Rocks, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2014 8:22 pm    

The TV show, Live Shows, and Studio recording version were all 100% Buck Trent using the sho-bud built palm benders, and "D" tuners, on his electric banjo.

Mark Eaton

Post  Posted 7 Jan 2014 9:08 pm    

Some of you guys seem awfully sure of this, and you might well be 110% right (though I don't see any sources quoted or presentation of evidence) - but unless I'm reading too much into Tommy's original post, he seems like he's playing his cards close his vest and he knows something.

Like one-eyed jacks are wild, and he has both of them in his hand. Wink

Franklin

Post  Posted 7 Jan 2014 11:39 pm    

110% sure its Buck Trent

Tommy Auldridge

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2014 6:15 am     Okay, it's Buck Trent

Okay I'm satisfied, it's Buck on his electric banjo.
I still think it could be done exactly the same on pedal steel. I'll get out my capo and work on those licks that sound like hammer-on's and pull-off's. It seems like it will be a fun challenge. It probably won't take me more than two years to master it. Whenever I finally get it figured out, I'll use it quite a bit. I like it. Tommy.......

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2014 10:23 am    

This past October I was in Branson, Mo. and attended Buck's morning show. I got to chat with him before the show and at break time and asked him about some things and one of them was Carrol Country Accident. He told me that he'd recorded all that stuff and he had made a "sound" for Porter Wagoner. Buck also had some nice things on Norma Jean's recordings while she was with Porter. On questioning him about his banjo I found out that it's no wonder it sounds like a steel guitar. The head of the banjo is made of wood and it has a pedal steel type changer mounted in it which was made by Shot Jackson and it also has a ShoBud manufactured pickup on board. There's a metal ShoBud logo on the top behind the pullers. There are two "pulls" on the banjo, one which raises the 1st string D to E and one which raises the 2nd string B to C... They're activated by two "pads" that he depresses into the top with the heel of his pickin' hand. He can use them individually or together for a C triad on the 1st three strings. He also uses the old adjustable stop old style banjo tuners for lowering the 2nd string B to A and the 3rd string G to F#... He gave me a couple of his "Buck Trent" thumbpicks and I gave him a blue Herco pick. He said that he'd been looking for those for a long time and couldn't find them anymore. He said that He and Chet (Atkins) used to buy 'em up. I gave him the names of a couple of music stores who sold on line who probably had 'em in stock. He was a very enjoyable guy to be around and I really enjoyed his show. I bought a CD which featured his electric banjo and had an instrumental version of Carroll Country Accident along with about 11 other gems...........JH in Va.

P.S. Don't pay any attention to the date on the picture as I forgot to set it on my camera....

Last edited by Jerry Hayes on 9 Jan 2014 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mark Eaton

Post  Posted 8 Jan 2014 11:08 am     Re: Okay, it's Buck Trent

Tommy Auldridge wrote:
Okay I'm satisfied, it's Buck on his electric banjo.
I still think it could be done exactly the same on pedal steel. I'll get out my capo and work on those licks that sound like hammer-on's and pull-off's. It seems like it will be a fun challenge. It probably won't take me more than two years to master it. Whenever I finally get it figured out, I'll use it quite a bit. I like it. Tommy.......

Okay Tommy, so you weren't holding both one-eyed jacks... Wink

I'm still not clear where you were going in to the thread, what did you think the instrument in question was prior to starting this topic?

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2014 6:43 pm    

I remember when the song below came out back in the 60s. Many thought the intro and ride was done on pedal steel, but it was Buck Trent "all the way", even though the is a little pedal steel in the song. Very Happy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99epTcCEJUg

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2014 5:23 pm    

when did Buck start playing the bender banjo? does it predate the Clarence White/Gene Parsons bender, or Boomer Castleman's palm pedals?

Buck is killer!

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2014 5:29 pm    

Buck does indeed predate Clarence White & Booner with his "bender banjo".... Someone mentioned that you could emulate Buck's things with a pedal steel. I've tried it but can't quite get it right but fellow Forumite Clyde Mattocks can get Buck's sound down to a tee...........JH in Va.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2014 3:35 pm    

I enjoy playing the Buck Trent lines on pedal steel, and to get the attack and decay of the banjo, I keep rolling the ball of my hand off and on the strings (off the end of the fingers). With practice, you can get close. It's fun, but kinda a gimmick. I need to find a gal singer to do "Let's Go All the Way."
But yeah, that's Buck.

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2014 6:00 pm    

I'd like to see a picture of that instrument. It looks interesting. Does anyone have one?

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2014 7:11 pm    

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2014 7:24 pm    

That might not be the one. If you Google images, the one je holds is different.

Alvin Blaine

Picture Rocks, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2014 7:43 pm    

The picture that Scott posted IS THE Baldwin-ODE that Buck played in the recording studio Sept 18th 1968 when Porter recorded Carroll County Accident and in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8jJq4rBsZc

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2014 9:15 pm    

Alvin is correct...that is THE banjo that your hear on"Carroll County"and the other Porter and Norma Jean records...

robert kramer

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2014 7:01 am    

Porter Wagoner / Praguefrank discography for "Carroll County Accident"

http://countrydiscoghraphy2.blogspot.com/2013/06/porter-wagoner-part-1.html

18 September 1968[10:00-13:00]RCA Victor Studio, 800 17th Ave. South, Nashville, TN

Porter Wagoner (Porter Wagoner [vcl], Chip Young [gt], Wayne Moss [gt], George McCormick [gt], Buck Trent [el banjo], Pete Drake [steel], Don Warden [steel], Junior Huskey [bass], Jerry Carrigan [drums], Mack Magaha [fiddle], Hargus Robbins [piano] + Dolores Edgin, June Page, Hushel Wigington [bck vc]. Producer: Bob Ferguson)

311 WWA4-4895 THE CARROLL COUNTY ACCIDENT 47-9651/LSP 4116 LSP-4321 AHL1-7000 BCD-16537 OMNI-103
312 WWA4-4896 YOUR MOTHER'S EYES LSP 4116 BCD-16537
313 WWA4-4897 THE WORLD NEEDS A WASHIN' LSP 4116 BCD-16537
3 October 1968 RCA Victor Studio, 800 17th Ave. South, Nashville, TN - Porter Wagoner and Dolly Parton (Producer: Bob Ferguson)
314 WWA4-5004 MALENA 74-0104/LSP-4186
315 WWA4-5005 GOOD AS GOLD rejected
316 WWA4-5006 ONE BY ONE unissued

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2014 12:53 pm    

Porter had some additional"Wagonmasters"sign the card,didn't he,Bob?

robert kramer

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2014 4:17 pm    

Steve - As you also witnessed - this was very typical of Porter's generosity towards sidemen musicians.