The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How To Send A Steel Guitar
Dale Sollenberger

Chambersburg Pa. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2002 5:47 pm    

I'm Not 100% Sure Yet,But I Think I May Have Sold A Steel Guitar (The Emmons SD10 I've Been Trying To Sell).And I Don't Have A Clue On How To Send It,(Packaging,Etc.)Should I Take It To UPS,And Let Them Handle It? I Would Welcome Any Advice.

Fred Martin

Phoenix, Az
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2002 6:49 pm    

I believe the Carter web site has a section on shipping steels. Always a little risk involved so insure it and hang on.

rpetersen

Iowa
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2002 3:33 am    

Make sure you package it so the handle on the case can be used - Otherwise they have to carry it like a sack of flour, and I'm sure that is when most of them get damaged!
If you cut a hole on the top so the handle is exposed and then tape extra cardboard around it so that it does not stick up when the handle is laying down - I've shipped dozens of steels that way and got along fine!

------------------
Ron Petersen &
The Keep'n Tyme Band

Tommy Alexander

Friendswood, Texas 77546
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2002 4:15 am    

Dale, I sent my Franklin guitar to Nashville to get a pedal change. It took three days for UPS to get it there, it took 13 days to get in back. It got to Houston, twice and then got lost in Little Rock, Ark. They found it when they realized that it was insured for 4K. Lots of luck

------------------

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2002 5:15 am    

Here's the way I've packed the two that I've sold. First I covered the case with a layer of cardboard, taped in place, then cut pieces of 1" styrofoam to fit each side. I glued these in place with liquid nails, then added another 1" layer on the bottom and ends. Then I glued another layer of cardboard onto the styrofoam, leaving enough on the handle side to fold over to close it up. Cut two more pieces to fit in the box on the handle side. I cut holes to allow the handle to be used, then closed the whole thing up with lots of tape. So I ended up with a 1" layer of foam on both sides and a 2" layer on top, bottom and ends. The whole package was compact but well padded, and the box was very sturdy. Both the guitars arrived in good condition. The styrofoam came from Home Depot, about 5.00 for a 4x8 sheet, glue and tape cost 5 or 6 more, and the cardboard was free. Also, make sure to put some padding in the case son the guitar won't move around. Good luck.

David Mullis

Rock Hill, SC
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2002 5:30 am    

I've heard 2 opinions on leaving the handle out. One is that it gives UPS something to carry the package by and the other opinion is that the handle may get ripped off during shipment (by conveyor belts etc). On the last few guitars I've shipped, I left the handle accessible, but not exposed to where it could be ripped off. I put enough padding around the case before I put it in the carboard box that when I cut a hole for the handle, the handle was actually recessed inside the box. Make sense? Anyway, just an eye deer Winking, Oh by the way, this is probably NOT a good idea if you're using styrofoam peanuts for padding. I always used styrofoam sheets or closed cell foam cut to fit.

Take Care
David

Post  Posted 25 Apr 2002 5:57 am    

I like to wrap the steel itself in small bubble-wrap. and make sure you have wooden blocks to hold the pedal bar down securely. I've never seen a UPS delivery guy use the handle on the case, they always put it on a hand cart, but there's no harm leaving the handle exposed. Defintely cover the case in cardboard at a minimum. Adding the foam is good for extra security. I find that packing peanuts are a pain and don't really hold the steel securely, and little pieces can work their way into the changer, etc.

Chris DeBarge

Boston, Mass
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2002 8:13 am    

I just shipped one and left an opening for the handle. Well, I got it to UPS and they taped up the hole so it wouldn't get broken off! So much for trying to make it easier for them.

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2002 8:47 am    

I will not use UPS anymore, I ship on Fedex ground. They are cheaper, faster, and seem to take care of their packages better.

------------------
Darvin Willhoite
Riva Ridge Recording

Ann Fabian

Mesquite, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2002 11:15 am    

Fred Martin refers to the Carter Steel Guitars site.

Our secondary site, is our OnLine Steel Guitar Owner's Manual, provided as a public service to the Steel Guitar Community Worldwide.

It is called The Steel Guitar Information Resource, and is located at www.SteelGuitarInfo.com. On that site, there is a great page, created by John Fabian with:

Packing Tips which you and others may find useful.

Hope that helps!

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2002 3:07 pm    

Ann has a tiny little voice when she posts on the Forum. Sometimes she makes up for it by shouting.

Steven Knapper

Temecula Ca USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2002 4:57 am    

I have had 2 or the 3 guitars that I have owned shipped by UPS and both have had damage, the last one to the tune of 1795.00. I don't know what the answer is, but if I can drive to get it, ---- I just really don't know --- I don't trust UPS with a steel guitar anymore.

Ann Fabian

Mesquite, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2002 7:14 am    

Cute b0b Lee very cute!

Darvin Wilhoite said:
quote:

I will not use UPS anymore, I ship on Fedex ground. They are cheaper, faster, and seem to take care of their packages better.

and Steve Knapper said:
quote:

I have had 2 or the 3 guitars that I have owned shipped by UPS and both have had damage, ... I don't trust UPS with a steel guitar anymore.

Darvin's and Steve's descriptions really surprise us at Carter Steel Guitars, as we have had basically GREAT luck with UPS for the last 10 years, receiving and shipping 100's of steels.

We have NEVER lost a steel and have never had a pro model get damaged during shipment (either when we've shipped or when a steel has been shipped to us).

... a few CASES have been damaged (probably 5 cases out of the hundreds of steels we've shipped all over the world ... REALLY!).
But, in our opinion, that is the JOB of the case: to sacrifice itself to protect the steel if necessary.

SAVE all packing materials and everything until:
  • you are sure there's no damage or
  • until UPS tells you you can dispose of it if there is damage

... UPS will want to inspect it if that's necessary.

btw: when you do unpack your Carter or used steel from us, note the Shipping Blocks we use. Those make a GREAT difference in safe arrivals of Carters and other steels we ship and which are shipped to us. They are described here:
www.steelguitarinfo.com/assembly/packing.html

NOTE: The above 'good luck' we've experienced with UPS is ALSO on the hundreds of USED steels shipped to us by consumers from all over the world, most of whom used UPS.

Ann Fabian
Carter Steel Guitars
www.steelguitar.com
The Steel Guitar Information Resource
www.steelguitarINFO.com

[This message was edited by Ann Fabian on 26 April 2002 at 09:17 AM.]

Lonny Servin

Oregon, WI, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2002 7:22 am    

Do not use UPS. Use Fed-Ex ground. About the same price, and they handle your packages a little easier.

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2002 7:35 am    

The comments about UPS vs. FedEx seem to indicate that individuals prefer FedEx and the manufacturers prefer UPS. Why is that?

Buck Dilly

Branchville, NJ, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2002 12:29 am    

pray!

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2002 5:02 am    

FedEx, definitely! I deal with a couple of mail-order music stores, and THEY use FedEx. I recently shipped my old 'Bud via FedEx, and it arrived safely. Sorry, Brown Sad

Mike Cass

Post  Posted 27 Apr 2002 4:18 pm    

well..... i also used UPS for years & had little trouble. Then....they got on a streak where almost every other one I shipped got tore up some how....some worse than others. I then moved to Fed-Ex Ground for a time. But after they (all in the same week) lost one package & then did significant damage to another nice old p/p that was shipped in its custom made Anvil case & then screwed me on the repair bill I have since gone on to Bax Global.
They are first rate! A little more expensive to some areas, but well worth it! They have a service called BAX SAVER that is the equivalent of UPS or F/E ground & is pretty quick to each coast. Also,they have same day call in & pickup...nice!
I too, have wondered why most manufacturers use little in the way of packing materials & seem to have great luck with UPS???
Perhaps most freight companies just dont take the little guy as seriously as the big boys (& girls)...even though I too, always make sure to give my driver a X-mas gift . Oh well.... quality not quantity I always say... so therefore BAX gets my vote.
Call their 800 number(i forget it, now),for rate quotes & delivery schedules. ......mc