The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Let's Try Again (Ray Line)????
autry andress

Plano, Tx.
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2002 4:04 pm    

Some Time ago some one asked about some feed back on the Ray Line/ Sho-Bud Steel.I don't remember seeing an answer. Is any body playing one & how do you like it??? Please repond. Thanks in advance

Post  Posted 26 Apr 2002 4:09 am    

yep, it was me who asked and, no, I didn't hear a peep from anybody. Rayline must be the "stealth" steel guitar!

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2002 7:47 am    

I can´t tell you much but that I once got some kind of a catalogue from a company called RayLine in Jacksonville Florida, claiming to be the direct builder of Sho-Bud SG´s for GRETSCH. As you may know GRETSCH is the one who bought the remains of the old Sho-Bud company.
The catalogue offered allmost all models known but at very high prices.
I have only once heard that one person may have gotten one made through RayLine. Never actually really seen one.
If my memory serves me well, I heard from RayLine the first time through an ad in Scotty´s old (around the mid 90´s) SteelGuitar Inquirer Magazine... they advertised a o.011 string that WON´T break... I think that fellow Forumite Danny Holighen (spelling probably not so, sorry) even wrote a (very favorable) revue on these "most miraculouse" strings. The offer was that you could write in and get a FREE string to try (a bad marketing technique, when you come to think that it´s supposed to last FOREVER , why would you ever need to BUY one? ). Well I got one (or was it 2?) and they both broke as everybody elses. I think that along with the strings I got the "Sho-Bud" cataloque (which lasted longer ).

Try Scotty Sr. or Danny Hooli-what-ever , they might be able to help you further.

Enough? ... J-D.

Don Townsend

Turner Valley, Alberta Canada
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2002 8:29 am    

Good post, JD.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2002 9:10 am    

Moved to the "Pedal Steel" section.