The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pickup rewind from Jerry Wallace
James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2013 9:00 am    

I recently bought a Shobud LDG from John Widgren ( a great guy !) and wanted something a little different in the pickup that was on the steel .....I called Jerry Wallace who I think builds the best single coil pickups on the market .....Normally folks who want pickups with a tap on them go LOWER in the power range ....For example they might have one wind at 17.5k-18k and then drop down to a 13.5k or 14k on a coil tap for that vintage tone ..... I went the other way .....I went from a 17.5k and did a tap to go UP to 20k .....Here's my thoughts ....

The older style recordings were done with tube amps, and preamps, and also recorded thru tube gear onto tape ..... All the older gear made everything sound smoother and more full , or "Tubey" for a lack of a better word .....Today we have all this ProTools and digital gear , which while sounding more quiet and easier to deal with , but the tone suffered some from that rich "tube" like tone to a more sterile/thinner tone ......For this reason I put a 20k with a tap to 17.5 k ( my favorite range for single coils ) ......

WOW !!!...is all I can say !!......This steel has TONE TO THE BONE !!......It has that brighter harmonic tone at 17.5k , and at 20k it is much of the same but with more push to the tone for a longer sustain and just a touch smoother tone to thicken these solid state amps on the market today, and also gives you a bigger bottom end ....If you guys are looking for TONE , and can deal with single coil pickups , give Jerry a hollar and have him build you something .... He's the master of single coil pickups and will NOT dissapoint !!..... I am struggling trying to play a 10 string after playing a Uni 12 for so long .....I will give it my best shot because of the wonderful tone of this steel .....I just wanted to speak of my findings with these winds on a single coil pickup in case someone is looking for that magic power range for their steel, and to let you guys know once again how GREAT Jerry's pickups really are .....Thanks for reading ...jim

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2013 9:09 am    

Yes, Jerry does great work. Fast turnaround, reasonable prices, and he really knows pickups! A great guy to deal with.

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2013 10:05 am    

Right now, I have 3 round-front ShoBuds. One of them has Wallace rewinds on it. The other 2 have stock SB PUs. The one with JW rewinds sounds the best of the 3.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2013 1:04 pm    

I had mine rewound by him and couldn't be happier.
Sho-Bud 12 sent in to get rewound and tapped.
Dynamite service

Bob Russell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2013 8:25 pm    

I had an old Vega pickup rewound by Mr. Wallace and it sounded fantastic! Nothing but praise for his work.

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2013 7:07 am    

Have used 'Truetone' pickups in every guitar that I have owned for several years. If the guitar that I purchase is not equipped with one, the existing pick up is soon replaced.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2013 8:27 am    

Jerry has even rewound some Stringmaster pickups for me. He is a one of a kind! Very Happy