The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Franklin .011 String - 128 Days Old
Kenneth Kotsay

Davie/Ft Lauderdale, Florida
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2002 1:01 pm    

On November 23,2001 I replaced a George L .011/G# string on my D-10 ZUM with a .011 FRANKLIN string, to date after 128 days, the Franklin string is still hanging in there. The tone sounds good and it remains in tune. Total amount of hours of useage would be in the area of 225+ hours.

This is the first time a .011 string has lasted so long in my 27 years of playing pedal steel.

I have tried every string on the market that I can get my hands on (except Cobra's) and most brands last me 12-15 days average.

My ZUM is my practice steel,(get's the most usage) the Franklin I use it to play out and my EMCI, it's too beautiful to play so I look at it for hours and even sometime try to teach it to talk Hungarian. I hoping one day when I pass on me & the EMCI will be sent to outer space like Timothy Leary & Dr. Carl Sagan did.
Steeling the galaxy away, cool, STELLA STEELER BY NIGHT!!!!!

KEN

Reggie Duncan

Mississippi
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2002 10:44 pm    

Who makes the Franklin strings?

Tommy Alexander

Friendswood, Texas 77546
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2002 7:43 am    

I have been using the "Franklin" strings for a number of years. I asked Paul Sr., about the contents of the strings, he said that he didn't know, they wouldn't tell him. But, who cares, they sound good and they last. Get Paul to send you some, see what you think.

------------------

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2002 9:22 am    

Here is a link for Frankiln:
www.paul-franklin.com/franklingtrs.htm

I use Franklin strings andI have found that they break the same as others for the most part.

Bob

Tom Hodgin

greensboro, n.c. u.s.a.
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2002 1:30 pm    

I play two to three shows a week..along with with extended practices, I change the 3rd and 5th after each show...If I don't, better have my glasses ready to do some changing in the dark of the bandstand...I played a Marlen for years and now a Emmons, same deal with the strings.....I even blow out a 10th on occasion...maybe I need to light'n up a little....tom

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2002 1:41 pm    

I buy singles by the dozen. I have had the occasional .012 3rd string that just refused to break, until I just changed it because I was playing a gig (still few and far between for me) and couldn't take the chance. I am convinced that random elements such as how the end-windings lie on the changer, how the string is twisted during the stringing-up, and I guess other subtle elements that don't even come to mind, are factors in the longevity. For one string in a pack to pop after 10 hours' use and the next to exceed 40 hours seems to point this way.
(That's why I am a proud endorser of Zebco. )
Most certainly though, if you feel that you get best results with a particular string, go for it.

Matt Steindl

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2002 2:07 pm    

My understanding of the guitar string industry, is that there are only a few manufacturers in the world, and that they simply liscence and package them differently for different companies to seel to the public. I would guess that none of the string companies that market "PSG Sets" actually make the products that they sell. I know Martin Guitars recently bought a string mfg. company a few years ago.Someone in the know needs to let me know if I am wrong, and I very well may be!

My point, is that there is not too much new technology(cryogenicly frozen strings? Come on!) out there, so the difference between string A and string B should be minimal.

------------------
Mattman in "The Big Sleazy"-:
S-10 Dekley, Suitcase Fender Rhodes, B-bender Les Paul

Steve Miller

Long Beach, CA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2002 10:02 pm    

My new Derby came with Jagwires and I didn't break a string for four months. But I went back to Ernie Balls because I get a good deal on them and they are easy to get. The G#'s started breaking about every ten hours playing time. So about three months ago (150 hrs playing time) I put a set of Jagwire's on --None have broken yet.

sgm

Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2002 8:18 am    

Kenneth,
Thanks for the endorsement Dad sells alot of his strings, because of the reasons you mentioned. Glad you like them!
Theresa

Michael T. Hermsmeyer

Branson, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2002 10:19 am    

I have been using Ernie Balls reinforced 11's and 18's on both my Emmons guitars. I have had very good luck with them, although I did finally break one last week during rehearsal. But I have been rehearsing every day for hours and two shows on Sunday. I think I put that set on in January. The 18 is still there. Guess I better change this week, though. I'm way over due, LOL. I love Franklin strings. They are the best strings I have used. They are just not readily available here in Branson, and I have a deal with EB, so pricing and availability are factors. I play a lot of instruments and I go through a lot of strings. My favorite strings were a set of Franklins that I cleaned with their Blitz Cloth before I put them on. They stayed bright and clean for months. It takes a little extra time, but it's worth it. Kinda hard to do during a gig though.
Michael T.

------------------
UTILITY MAN PRODUCTIONS
'73 EMMONS D10 FATBACK, '92EMMONS D10 LEGRANDE,
'7? Sho-Bud Pro 1 S-10, '85 60DS DOBRO,
'95 MELOBAR CUSTOM, 1955 Fender Triple Neck Stringmaster. Evans, Fender,
and Mesa Boogie Amps.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Derek Duplessie

La Jolla CA USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2002 9:25 pm    

Everything the Franklin Co. makes is incredible!!!!!!!You don't have to work AT
ALL to get a beautiful tone out of they're guitars.Paul F.Sr. is a master builder and Paul F.Sr. is a master player!!! -Derek

Derek Duplessie

La Jolla CA USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2002 9:26 pm    

Everything the Franklin Co. makes is incredible!!!!!!!You don't have to work AT
ALL to get a beautiful tone out of they're guitars.Paul F.Sr. is a master builder and Paul F.Jr. is a master player!!! -Derek

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2002 11:08 pm    

Well my Ernie Ball .011R broke tonight after 109 days. Three nights a week since before Christmas so I can't complain. Thing is, I was going to change them monday afternoon before rehersal. Oh well......

Regards, Paul

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2002 7:47 am    

I used to use an 11 3rd string, didn't like it. Then went to an 11 1/2 and this was better. Lately, I've gone to a 12 gauge "reinforced" string by SIT. I think I've finally come home.
Uff-Da!

Michael T. Hermsmeyer

Branson, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2002 8:10 am    

Ken, Has it broken yet???

------------------
UTILITY MAN PRODUCTIONS
'73 EMMONS D10 FATBACK, '92 EMMONS D10 LASHLEY LEGRANDE,
'7? SHO-BUD PRO I S-10, '85 60DS DOBRO,
'95 MELOBAR CUSTOM, 1955 FENDER TRIPLE NECK STRINGMASTER. JOHNSON SQUARENECK RESONATOR GUITAR,
EVANS, FENDER, PEAVEY,
and MESA BOOGIE Amps.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Kenneth Kotsay

Davie/Ft Lauderdale, Florida
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2002 3:59 pm    

MICHAEL T.,, still counting,(145 day as of 4/15/02) sure wish it would pop. I'm waiting for this string to pop so I can go ahead and change the other 9 strings in one clip.

Crazy, when you don't want a string to pop, it does. When you wish it would, it refuses.

The tone (as if it was a new string)is no longer there but for practicing it's suits me.

Maybe, if I took out my Homelite 16" chainsaw and threaten the Franklin .011 string, just maybe it will decide to pop.

Hello Freddy are you out there............

KEN

[This message was edited by Kenneth Kotsay on 15 April 2002 at 05:00 PM.]

Steve Miller

Long Beach, CA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2002 8:57 pm    

My Jagwire .011 now has 120 days on it.

Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2002 10:15 am    

Kenneth,
LOL
Thanks again, Theresa

Danny Hullihen

Harrison, Michigan
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2002 12:49 pm    

Steve. Leave that .011 on there. It will probably last for another 120 days yet. Smile
http://www.jagwirestrings.com