The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How many own a Remington non-pedal steel ?
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2013 7:35 am    

Interesting discussion about A6. I am showing my ignorance here, but would I need to get a new set of strings for the different tuning...I now have it tuned to C6th. Also I am assuming all of the chord grips would be the same,,,everything the same, I would just be playing in different keys...Educate me please.
thanks for any help

Joshua Clements

Tifton, Georgia.
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2013 9:47 am    

If you are playing with a high G C6 tuning, yes you would probably need to change to a different string gauge. A6 is a minor 3rd lower than C6 so you just transpose what you already know for C6 down 3 frets. I played EGACEG, the high C6, on my 6 string lap for a while. When I got my Remington, it was in A6. The intervals and chord structures were exactly the same. A6 sounds so much warmer to my ears now than C6. Hope this helps.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2013 10:40 am    

Yes, thanks that does help. I will write to the man I bought the steel from to see what tuning is on there now, and if I have to order the right guages for A6 just to be ready. I would like to try it.
Thanks again.

Webb Kline

Bloomsburg, PA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2013 3:29 pm    

Larry Lenhart wrote:
Yes, thanks that does help. I will write to the man I bought the steel from to see what tuning is on there now, and if I have to order the right gauges for A6 just to be ready. I would like to try it.
Thanks again.

A lot of package sets say they are for C6 or A6. I run pretty heave gauges on my C6, starting with a .15, where most C6 sets start with .13 or .14, except that I like an unwound 4th string. My main reason for wanting an A6 is because we do some songs in C and D and an A6 would help keep me in the middle of the neck.

Bob Jennings

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2024 2:27 am     steel without pedals

If anyone is interested, I had Herb Remington make me a single neck on a double neck frame with a pad, non pedal 8 string. Anyone want photos? There may be a photos of it on the Forum--think I've seen it.

Bob Jennings

Tony Oresteen

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2024 8:33 am    

So far I have been able to resist the urge to to aquier a Remington S8. Now that my Stringmaster addiction is under control, I am getting the Remington urge pains again.

So please do NOT put a Remington S8 up for sale in the For SALE area!! Smile Smile Smile

Too many guitars, not enough time to play
'72 Sho-Bud 6139, '71 Marlen 210
'78 Fender Stringmaster T8 black
PedalMaster D8

John Harmon

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2024 1:16 pm    

Bought a used double 8 a few months ago and love to try and play it. Beautiful tone no matter the amp I use. Just wish it wasn't so heavy so I could take it to our jam session, lol