The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  TELE bridge? Individual or standard 3 barrel bridge
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2013 6:34 am    

Anyone prefer the standard 3 barrel bridge over the 6 individual saddle bridge?

I know the intonation is better with the individual saddles. However, is the sound more pleasing with a 3 barrel bridge?

I have a Tele type guitar with the 6 saddles and it does not snap like a 3 barrel bridge. Also, are these bridges interchangeable? Any info is appreciated.

J Fletcher

London,Ont,Canada
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2013 6:39 am    

Me? I like the 3 saddle bridge, with brass saddles.
Simpler is better for myself.

Brian Herder

Philadelphia, Pa. USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2013 7:17 am    

3 for me as well. There are plenty variations of the compensated 3 barrels as well. Also, there way I see it, all of the classic records I like were made with those "out of tune" teles.

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2013 10:59 am    

4 of my 5 Telecaster-types(one's a G&L)have six-saddle bridges,one has a 3 saddle.I did swap the original 6 saddle for a compensated 3 saddle on my '75,but I couldn't hear much,if any,difference.Changed it back.Here's a pic.

L-R:'75 Tele,'94 G&L ASAT,'96 50th Anniversary,'99 Nashville B-bender(USA),'04 MIM Classic '50's Esquire w/aftermarket Bigsby-this one has the 3 saddle bridge.Threaded uncompensated saddles.

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2013 11:44 am    

@ Len-
There were some six-saddle vintage bridgeplate Teles made,but most of the six-saddle Teles I've seen are American Standards,so I'm assuming that's what your Tele is.The American Standard six saddle bridgeplate doesn't interchange with the "vintage" 3 saddle bridgeplate.Vintage has 4 mounting screws,AmStd has 3,and I think the string-thru-body holes are also differently placed.A vintage 3 saddle bridgeplate could be retrofitted,but plan on doing some woodwork.Haven't checked lately,but it's possible someone has come up with a drop-in 3 saddle replacement bridgeplate for the American Standard.Stew-Mac or Parts Is Parts maybe?

D Schubert

Columbia, MO, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2013 8:09 am    

As a matter of personal taste, I say three brass saddles. Seems to take away just a little of the ice-pick highs and emphasize the throaty mids, compared with single steel saddles. I've tried several different brands of compensated (slanted) brass saddles, and they all clean up the intonation. Very noticeable on the 3rd string, so that you can play both E AND C chords without one sounding sour.

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2013 8:54 am    

I prefer the original formula of Telecaster, from the vintage tuners to the 3 barrel saddles. You learn to compromise where needed to get acceptable intonation. The only thing I prefer on a modern Tele is the tone circuit. Leo pretty much nailed it right out of the chute. Amazing!

Robert Mayo

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2013 9:09 am    

Seems most of us like the three bridge saddle versions, the compensated 3 saddle variants work really well.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2013 9:15 am    

I put a compensated 3 barrel on my '68 and I'm very happy with it. In general, I think the 3 barrels have a slightly brighter, snappier tone than the 6 saddle bridges.

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2013 11:46 am    

I have 5 Telecasters at the moment and all with six saddle bridges. My main Tele has a six saddle bridge and I don't know of another Tele that sounds any better. I've even replaced the G string saddle with a "Rolling Bender" lever unit to raise the G string to A.... Here's a shot of the front of the guitar..........JH in Va.

Rick Stratton

Tujunga, California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2013 11:54 am    

Glendale and Callaham both make a replacement bridge saddles/plate that fits the American standard Tele bridge.

http://www.glendaleguitars.com/glendale2.htm

http://www.callahamguitars.com/partstel.htm

James Allison

California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2013 12:19 pm     tele bridges

53 years playing the same tele, a '55, always 3 brass bridges and never had a problem with intonation or tuning...

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2013 9:05 pm    

it seems then that slight imperfection may actually create some of the magic. as with a p/p emmons..it's not rocket science, but it sounds better!

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2022 7:39 pm    

I was going through the Music section looking for Bender stuff to move over into Almost a Steel Guitar, and dug this up. Yup, 3 saddles for me by far.