The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  emmons/short keyhead??
Rob van Duuren

The Netherlands
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2002 11:38 pm    

Dear forumites, I recently got hold of a black Emmons guitar, single neck/double body, shorter than usual keyhead, longer than usual legs.The S/N is 012L.
Do any of you have some more information
for me about this instrument? Age, history,
I'd appreciate it. Rob.

Chris Brooks

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2002 12:15 am    

Rob ...

I don't have an answer ... But how many more steels do you need to buy before you open up the Amsterdam Steel Guitar Museum? ;>)

Groetjes,

Chris

------------------
from the oasis ....

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2002 11:49 am    

From your discription, your PSG sounds like the first LeGrande type. It had a short keyhead and also had an identifying feature. The changer was supported between EACH finger. If your guitar is like this, then it is the first style of Emmons' LeGrandes.

Later the supporting blocks were removed from each finger (regrettably IMHO), and the keyhead was made longer. This guitar had a decal saying "Lashley LeGrande". It origianlly had 4 hole bellcranks. Later they changed these to the 14 hole bellcranks which have remained until today. The greatest single change to the PSG since its inception IMO.

Still later they came out with the LeGrande II (the mainstay today) and an optional LeGrande III. The only difference between the II and the III is the added "anti-detuner" modification that eliminates "cabinet drop" on the III's.

carl

Rob van Duuren

The Netherlands
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2002 1:47 pm    

Carl, yes it is exactly the way you described it. With the extra supports between the fingers and the fourholecranks. It hasn't got any decals except for the standard "Emmons".
Well, even for it's age , it still plays very well, needed a little adjusting, the sound however is great. Original pickup also. Thanks for your info, it must be one of the first. Any idea what year it could have been build?

Chris, I know I fall in love to easy........
but you should've seen the legs on this one. .

Michael T. Hermsmeyer

Branson, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2002 3:02 am    

012L should be the 12th LeGrande built if what I have been told is true. They started building these in the early 80's I believe. I have #914L and it it the longer keyhead and was built in '92. Your's should be a LeGrande, but not a "Lashley" LeGrande. These were Emmons first venture into the All Pull market, and I believe the reason Buddy broke off ties with Emmons. He did not want to lose the push pulls. Based on what I have learned, can't say for sure. Does yours have black or aluminum pedals? Black pedals would signify the earlier LeGrande. Although I don't know exactly when they went back to aluminum. Anyone else know?
Michael T.

------------------
UTILITY MAN PRODUCTIONS
'73 EMMONS D10 FATBACK, '92EMMONS D10 LEGRANDE,
'7? Sho-Bud Pro 1 S-10, '85 60DS DOBRO,
'95 MELOBAR CUSTOM, 1955 Fender Triple Neck Stringmaster. Evans, Fender,
and Mesa Boogie Amps.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Rob van Duuren

The Netherlands
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2002 9:48 am    

Thanks,
and yes, this one has black pedals. Interesting story you tell about how Mr.Emmons didn't like the change from push-pulls.
I think it's time I should find someone near
that owns a pushpull so I can try it.
Greetings and thanks again, Rob.

John Lacey

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2002 4:42 am    

You might want to "Ask Buddy" about that one. John Cadeau has an early Legrande with P/P pedals on it.

John Cadeau

Surrey,B.C. Canada
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2002 3:17 pm    

Hi John:
Yes I have an Emmons LeGrande, serial #006L.
It has the short keyhead, and the black pedals. I suspect the earliest LeGrandes had push pull pedals because the Emmons Company had a stock of them that needed to be used up. Business economics I suppose. I'll tell you I love this guitar, it has great tone and stays in tune very nicely. I use a .012 on the third string, and I get about two months of playing before I change it. I've broken two third strings in the last 3 years.

------------------

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2002 7:49 pm    

I had one D-10 Emmons like that I bought from Jody Cameron from TX.Will never forgive myself that I sold it.Great instrument.Better then new Legrandes IMHO.
Damir

------------------
http://hometown.aol.com/damirzanne/damirzanne1.html

Reggie Duncan

Mississippi
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2002 6:52 am    

Rob,
My first LeGrande fits your description and was built in 1982. Don't remember the serial number.

Hal Higgins

Denham Springs, LA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2002 11:45 pm    

I have a 1985 LeGrande with the short key-head....It's the best guitar I've ever owned. I've had many in the 32+ years I've been playing. It stays in tune, and gives me the best sound I've ever had as well. It's a nice guitar isn't it Reggie? BTW Reggie, Got my Evans Pre-amp today, and set it up with my Profex and a Sound Tech two rack-space amp, man what a killer sound....WOW. HAL