The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tuning With Peterson Strobe Tuner
Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2012 6:36 am    

I have the Peterson tuner as part of mu equiptment. It has all the presets for both tunings. Do you guys depend on the tuner or do you fine tune as well? I personally believe at times I am a little off after using the tuner. Just wanted your thoughts and ideas on this subject.

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2012 6:47 am     Do you have to fine tune as well?

Hi Paul, since every steel is a little different, ie. cab detuning, some slight retuning after tuning to the programmed presets, may be required. Here is some pretty good info provided by forum brother, Crowbear. Look under Strobo Flip Info, near the bottom of this page: https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=594320d13092d8fb

Hope that is helpful, it was to me and others...
Thanks Crowbear...

Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2012 8:08 am    

When I first started using the Peterson I found it to be a very useful tool in getting my guitars as close as possible to being tempered properly. After 7 years of using one I find that its not quite as precise as I had hoped, when it comes to MY guitars anyway. I had issues with the M3rd intervals as well as the 5ths, and octaves, which in my mind need to be tempered differently from the presets. 5th intervals can be found all over the guitar and this is where i was having issues..Here is what ive been doing recently to supplement the presets.
Ocatves open, no pedals tuned first.
Major 3rds using A+B, string 5 and 10 lowered another 2 cents, and open G#s 3+6 lowered 2 cents
Octaves for stings 3+6 (A+B, A NOTES) in tune with 5ths (Es)
string 2 half-step pull to E in tune with 4 open, 2 open in tune with 4 lowered.
String 9 now tuned to 5th A, String 6 with A+B engaged
String 7 Whole to G# in tune with 3+6 open
String 4 B+C Pedal, tune string 1 to this F#, and to string 7 (Cabinet drop comes into play here) I have abandoned the Es 2.5 above, for the 0E9 as well...and the C6 temper tuning on the flip?...forget it...
A+B pedal, lower string 2 to C#, and tune to to this tempered C# on string 5
I know this probably is complicated sounding, but this has WORKED for me very well...It would probably be a good idea to sequence this, and construct a YouTube
video on it...Mick
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!

Alex Cattaneo

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2012 8:38 am    

I wasn't sold on either of the presets so I measured the cabinet deflection on my guitar, then I tuned it by ear making sure A was tuned to pitch at 440, and then I programmed my own preset in the Peterson stroboflip. Never looked back!

James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2012 9:46 am    

Alex Cattaneo wrote:
I wasn't sold on either of the presets so I measured the cabinet deflection on my guitar, then I tuned it by ear making sure A was tuned to pitch at 440, and then I programmed my own preset in the Peterson stroboflip. Never looked back!

Absolutely---tune your guitar the way you want it, then program your tuner to your guitar, set it to default when you turn on your tuner--your done.

The Newman presets are good only if you actually have the guitar that those settings came from. Basicly, the presets just get you into the ball park.

Every guitar is different.

Pete Conklin

Austin, TX
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2012 10:31 am    

Mickey, +1 for a video on tuning with the Stobo-flip. Very Happy

Dick, Thanks for you notes. Just what I was looking for!!!

-Pete

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2012 11:44 am    

Thanx for the plug Dick

since each psg is different, i did what many of us did
taking cabinet drop in consideration & saving each note value ( open, pedal & lever ) into the peterson tuner
(in my case the stroborack)

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=126696&highlight=stroboflip

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=167282&highlight=stroboflip

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=177685

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=172714&highlight=stroboflip

Last edited by CrowBear Schmitt on 11 Nov 2012 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total

Anders Eriksson

Mora, Dalecarlia, Sweden
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2012 2:30 am    

Here is the thread

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=164485

// Anders

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2012 5:49 am    

A Peterson is a wonderful thing for a newer player and then after sometime (years) learn a more refined and probably personal method of tuning.
Mickey Adams is tops for bringing and sharing PSG info to us in a very generous and selfless manner.
Thank You M.A.

Christopher Hillman

Manchester, UK
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2012 4:19 am    

Has anyone tried the iPhone app of this? I was going to start a new thread then saw this one.

It looks a great tuner and I use an excel u-12 which takes forever to tune up!

Guessing I might have some problems with scale length maybe after reading previous comments?

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2012 4:47 am    

I seen Jack Stoner talking about the tuner App in another thread but not sure if he has it or not.

Bob Metzger

Waltham (Boston), MA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2012 12:23 pm     Tuning...

I use my favorite tune du jour; I have about a dozen or so and then I finish my tuning sequence with a headphone amp (and phones), using my ears. Although now there are some very high-spec tuners, including the Peterson, I find that finishing using my ears results in the most in tune steel guitar possibly for me. I've used headphones in my tuning for a long time - part of it is getting deeper into your own methodology. I started this because I was trying to eliminate the outside factors: giant disco system playing on our breaks and the ever present noodling guitar player. This works for me but everybody's different and people tune their steels differently. You have to discover your own tuning truth.

Bob M.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2012 3:20 pm    

Hi Chris, at this stage the Peterson Iphone app doesn't have the presets for steel in it .. fairly basic but fine for guitar etc ... I believe they are exploring an upgrade to cater for PSG, but so far it is just conjecture Very Happy
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2012 5:40 am    

I spoke to Petersons rep directly about this...I dont think they are going to be releasing this for the Iphone. That version is going to remain basic. for thos of you that DO have the very robust MAC or PC version, and are using a DAW such as protools, theres a really keen way of putting the TUNER window in the channel strip...A VERY useful tool for guys like me that are using the software for tracking WAV files for export...Tuner always in view on the channel is VERY Convienent..!
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!

Christopher Hillman

Manchester, UK
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2012 11:00 am    

That's a shame about the app . It would cost me as much as the phone to get the flip (hoping to kill to birds with one stone.) you deffinitly can't add/store the setting into the app even though it doesn't come with it?

Alan Percy

Melbourne, Australia
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2013 2:08 am     difficulty tuning

I have recently bought a GFI Ultra and after changing strings i am having trouble tuning the bottom B string and A pedal... I tune open B then when I tune pedal to C# the B string is sharp when I take pedal off, I tune it back down then pedal is flat....I tune up pedal and same thing.... I seem to just winding the rod up all the time on A pedal and cant tune it... I have wound the rod right off until the A pedal won't work and started again. ..but no different. I'm using the peterson strobe tuner.

Cheers,
Alan

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2013 4:06 am    

There are LOADS of tuner apps, many less than the Peterson. None, AFAIK, have any presets for steel in them preloaded, but nearly all have the ability to custom edit your own tempers.
(I could point out that before programmable tuners, we just carried around a little piece of paper with a chart similar to the Newman or Emmons charts, and just pointed the needle to so many cents sharp or flat. Until we memorized the chart. But then I'd have to snarl "Get offa my lawn.")
The Cleartune costs $3.00 USD

David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2013 5:41 pm    

What ever happen to a tuning fork and your ears.....

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2013 5:47 pm    

Since I started this thread Sid Hudson posted his settings. I programmed them into my tuner and found them to be better for me than the factory settings. I really like this tuner and especially since Sid Hudson was kind enough to share his settings. Thanks guys for all of your comments.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2013 5:53 pm    

David Wright wrote:
What ever happen to a tuning fork and your ears.....

It really hurts my ears when I stick a tuning fork in my ears.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open E slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.

David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2013 3:03 am    

Richard,
You putting in to far!! Laughing

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2013 3:25 am    

David, My ears are big enough for a tuning fork. My only problem is allergies and sinus problems bother me enough withour sticking one in my ear. I guess Mr. Clint will have to tune mine when I am around him.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2013 4:34 am    

Paul, three things influence tuning charts, all of them vary with the player and/or guitar.
1) Cabinet drop. Since pressing the A and B pedals will flatten the Es, especially the 8th, the chart must account for that.

2) How the player uses a string. The F# relative to B is NOT the same as the F# relative to A or D. A chart must account for that, unless you start throwing compensators around.

3) personal taste. To some people, JI thirds sound flat, while to many, JI just sounds better.

That's why I maintain that everyone should make their own chart (tune your Es to a tuner set to ET, then tune open by ear, writing down how far each note varies from 0. Then tune the pedals by ear, writing down THOSE variances. Then enter THOSE values into yer tuner).
Those numbers will end up close to Newman/Emmons/Hudson/Peterson. JI is like eggshell white at the paint store. They have 30 shades of eggshell.

Ian Sutton

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2013 9:46 am    

I've adopted the practice of tuning by ear when at home, or at a quiet enough venue. I will do this by tuning my E's to my own preset in my Peterson, then start tune up the rest of the guitar to that. Of course, if it's too loud, or I'm in more of a hurry, I will just tune the guitar to my Peterson preset. As at least one pro has said, tuning by ear is great ear development, and will make you a better player overall.

Mark Greenway

Lake Kiowa, Texas
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2013 7:30 pm    

How do you guys tune the open 7th and 9th string by ear? What strings do you use to match with the 7 and 9 strings to hear enough vibrations to take out?

And, what strings do you use to you match with the Franklin pedal pulls to tune 5 6 and 10?