The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Push Pull Pickup
Allan Thompson

Scotland.
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2002 5:45 am    

How many of you guys have changed the pickup on your Emmons Push pull. What did you change to and what were the advantages and disadvantages.

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2002 6:27 am    

Allan,
I used to build my own steels a few years ago. I wrote to Kent Armstrong who was just starting in the pick-up business, and asked him to make me some pickups to my dimensions to suit my steels. Later on, I tried one of these pick-ups in my PP Emmons, and the difference in sound was pronounced. The KA pickup is much more transparent than the stock Emmons pickup,much less middly, and gives me a 'True' steel tone (IMHO).

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2002 10:39 am    

In both the 10- and 12-string push-pull guitars I've owned, nothing I've tried (including both GeorgeL and Lawrence pickups) meets my needs better than the single coil Emmons pickups. Other players have had noise problems with the single coils, but I have rarely found this to be a problem. I think that there is a component of the traditional push-pull sound that is only found in the single coils. I don't believe that it gets any better, tone-wise, IF 'that sound' is what you're after.

Unlike Sir Richard , I find the natural, original sound of a push-pull, including the stock pickups, to BE the 'true' steel guitar sound. I have no need to change that.

The humbuckers are hotter, but I have not found one with the tonal balance and string separation I get from the old single coils. In all fairness, I have not tried the Armstrong pickups. Also, the Lawrence 910's were the closest 'new' pickup to the single coil sound, to my ears.

What do you feel is missing from the sound of your guitar?

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2000 Fessenden S-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Emmons D-10 9x9, 1971 Dobro

Al Miller

Waxahachie Texas
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2002 4:29 pm    

so tell us larry!!!
what is the true steel guitar tone?????

------------------
AL (BOO) Miller
mullen D10
65 EMMONS P/P D-10

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2002 6:10 pm    

Boo,
I suspect it's different to every person. All I said was (for what it's worth)
Quote:
I find the natural, original sound of a push-pull, including the stock pickups, to BE the 'true' steel guitar sound

Since tone is filtered through the ears and the brain, I believe that everybody hears things differently and that may affect one's perception of the sound of a steel guitar. I don't purport to speak for anyone other than myself.

What do you think?

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2000 Fessenden S-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Emmons D-10 9x9, 1971 Dobro

Al Miller

Waxahachie Texas
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2002 5:17 pm    

Larry!!!!
Good answer my friend.
if you check out the jeff newman site you must read his opinion on tone and sound he tells the whole truth and nothing but the truth on this subject.
BOO

------------------
AL (BOO) Miller
mullen D10
65 EMMONS P/P D-10

Tim Rowley

Pinconning, MI, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2002 8:55 pm    

Allan,

I put a Lawrence 910 on my S-10 loafer pushpull. The guitar sounds the same tone-wise but the sound is a lot "bigger" and hotter and it doesn't hum. I'm real happy with it. BTW, of course I kept the original Emmons single-coil pickup just in case I should ever decide to sell the guitar or whatever.

Tim R.

James Pennebaker

Mt. Juliet, TN
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2002 10:37 pm    

Personally, nothing sounds as good to me as the original single coil in my Emmons P/P. However, because I do some session work, there are certain rooms in this town that are problems when it comes to "hum" and single coil pickups. So I put a E-66 George L pickup in the E-9th neck of my guitar. No more hum. The engineers don't complain and I don't get funny looks from my fellow musicians because my guitar hums. The guitar still sounds great, but it's not quite as good as that old single coil to me. Which leads me to a whole other can of worms and another comment. The sound of the guitar is going to be only as good as the guitar itself. I don't think it all about the pickup. The cabinet is a BIG part of it. JMHO.
JP

Al Miller

Waxahachie Texas
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2002 12:48 pm    

james !!!
go to nemans web site and read the artical on sound he has written. its a must see.

------------------
AL (BOO) Miller
mullen D10
65 EMMONS P/P D-10

Al Miller

Waxahachie Texas
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2002 12:50 pm    

opps!!
thats Newman james sorry

------------------
AL (BOO) Miller
mullen D10
65 EMMONS P/P D-10

Dennis Manuel

Quesnel, B.C., Canada
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2002 11:05 pm    

Jeff is absolutely right in what he is saying about tone being in the right hand and the way the guitar is played. However, I don't care who it is, Jeff included, there is a huge difference in the sound of steel guitars. And in my opinion there is no all pull guitar that sounds like a push pull and no push pull that sounds as bad as an all pull guitar.
I once went to a seminar that Jeff put on in Calgary, Alberta. On stage Jeff played an Emmons P/P single neck 10 string and I asked him to play my all pull guitar, which he did. Same guy, same settings and a different guitar and yes the tone was way different. I have the tape to prove it.