The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  1962 Vega E-30D electric archtop, OHSC
Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2013 6:21 am    

SALE PENDING

With the recent purchase of a couple of guitars, this one has become a bit redundant in my collection.

I have a detailed description, hi-res photos and historical perspective of this guitar on my website; here's a condensed version:

By the early '60s, Vega was still making high-quality guitars but using an increasing number of parts from other manufacturers. This guitar has a body built by Harmony, though I believe the backwards f-holes were a unique special order by Vega. The body is one of Harmony's relatively high-end products, with multi-ply binding, an excellent finish, and a bit of figuring on the back. It's built of laminated spruce and maple. Vega attached their own neck and hardware, including a thick transparent burgundy pickguard, trapeze tailpiece and two Franz pickups. The pickups and Hagstrom bridge are the same used on '50s and '60s Guilds. The result is very similar to an early X-175; the guitar has the same bright punch and strong output you'd expect from an early Guild. The neck is full but not enormous, fairly average for an early '60s guitar.

The guitar is in time-capsule condition. I always hesitate to use the word "mint", but this is far and away the cleanest 50-year-old instrument I've ever seen. There is no finish checking, scratches, nicks or dings, no modifications or replaced parts, and almost no wear to the frets and board. It plays easily up the neck with no buzzing or other issues. The original hard case is nearly as clean as the guitar.

I'm asking $SALE PENDING shipped in the US.

While cash (i.e. Paypal) is king, I'll consider partial trades for the following as long as they bring in at least $800 in cash:

- Vintage tube amps (no Fenders, though I'd go for a 50W Music Man)
- Pre-War tenor banjos
- A reverb pedal, preferably with a "hall" or similar setting

Click here for additional photos.

Last edited by Noah Miller on 2 Dec 2013 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total

Redd V

Galax Va
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2013 7:02 pm     Whew!!

Hi Noah
Beautiful guitar!!
Is that the size of a 175 Gibson or smaller like a Les Paul?
Thank you,
Redd

Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2013 7:06 pm    

It's a full-size, deep-bodied archtop, similar in size to a 175.