The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Be careful who you buy a used pedal steel from.
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2002 9:06 pm    

btw.I have original Sho~Bud "match stick" if anyone is interested

------------------
http://hometown.aol.com/damirzanne/damirzanne1.html

Steve Stallings

Houston/Cypress, Texas
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2002 5:23 pm    

Ed,
Would you be so kind as to post a tracking number for your shipment? I think it would be neat for the forum members to track this generous gesture.

------------------
Steve Stallings
Bremond, Texas

Ed Naylor

portsmouth.ohio usa, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2002 5:34 am    

It went by way of U.S Mail.Ed

Peter

Post  Posted 29 Mar 2002 7:50 am    

Hi Ed Naylor,your parts have arrived and I really appreciate the fact you are not charging me at all! I would also like to thank you for the newspaper article. As we in South Africa are very deprived of any info on PSG, this is much appreciated.

Some of the wood-screws, nuts, collars and nylon tuning nuts are exactly "what the doctor ordered". However, the lever-stop, bellcrank and crossbar bushings are not related to this guitar at all and I won't be able to use them without making a mess.

In addition, you mentioned that the pickup is a new Lawrence pickup. But according to an email from Lawrence, the pickup in my guitar is NOT a Lawrence. Forumites tell me it is a Danny Shields pickup (and it sounds great). On close inspection I established that this pickup has been in this guitar from the beginning; it has not been added at a later stage, and it is certainly not new.

Ed, could this mean that the guitar in question is not the same guitar that you are talking about? I mean, the parts are totally different and the pickup is not what you say it is. Maybe this guitar is not a Remington after all. How would I be able to tell? Emailing Herb Remington did not answer this question, so maybe you can tell me how I would recognise a genuine Remington. Someone stuck 3(!) Remington decals on it, but that won't make the guitar genuine.

Ed, you did not send roller nut replacements. What would be the best set to replace them? A set of gauged roller nuts or a set of roller nuts that are exactly the same for all strings, like the early Emmons guitars? And where can I get these?

I just need to take out the final "flaws" by trying to find proper parts.
The parts you did not send me are now made by a local machine shop. The roller nuts I will have to find somewhere else, and I'll order the broken tuning keys from Stewmac.

Peter

Ed Naylor

Post  Posted 29 Mar 2002 11:51 am    

Peter-I hate to rehash things but the guitar you have is REMINGTON.The Pickup is a LAWRENCE, originally it had a George L. The pedals are of a type I used on guitars. I have the ones I took off somewhere in storage.I don't know where you are getting your information but they are telling you wrong.Ed

Peter

Post  Posted 29 Mar 2002 12:13 pm    

Ed, I got my information regarding the pickup from Lawrence themselves. How wrong can they be?
And you have not answered my question: How do I recognise a genuine Remimgton?
But dont worry, it makes no difference in the end, so you don't have to tell me.
Best regards, Peter

Ed Naylor

Post  Posted 29 Mar 2002 1:14 pm    

LET ME TRY ONE MORE TIME-I have been building and working on Steel guitars for over 40 years. The guitar you have is a Remington. I guarantee it is the only Remington with that type pedal. The Pickup in it was purchased from Lawrence May 24, 2000.I have never installed a Danny Shield PU.By the way- isn't it a coincedence that I can send parts that work if it isn't a Remington????I have tried to help. Since you continue to question my ability and knowledge' I think it is time I stop trying to help you.ED

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2002 1:37 pm    

I'm starting to think that this isn't the guitar Ed thinks it is. Bill Lawrence knows the difference between his pickups and Shields pickups. Maybe Ed thinks this is a different guitar, or maybe the Shields pickup was put in after it left Ed's shop.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (Emaj9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (F Diatonic) Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6)

Ed Naylor

Post  Posted 29 Mar 2002 2:15 pm    

I can assure you I know about this guitar.If it has a Shield pickup it is an exact duplicate of the Lawrence.The purchaser I sold it to last had not made any changes he told me.The question now-Who made the changes??????Ed

Peter

Post  Posted 29 Mar 2002 10:36 pm    

b0b, Ed has gained 5 years of experience on this topic, so I think you better close it.

Peter