The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pushing pedal/knee combos when playing?
joe wright

Jackson, Michigan
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2001 9:47 am    

The key to pressing what and when is where you are headed with your next phrase or lick.

IOW...you should be able to do it either way with ab pedals. Sometimes you may need to push both down because the next lick will involve the string that is not being used first.

You should physically be able to play any and all cominations of feet and knees. The key is moving smoothly between them. The A pedal and lkr is an example of an awkward movement. You rock your ankle out (left) and then have to move your knee lever to the right.

Physically train your body to make all moves and then you'll have them at your disposal when you need them.

If you can't make the move, you can't play the lick....joe

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2001 7:38 am    

Bobby, that's sort of what I was saying when I said maybe it's time to rethink your setup if there's something that's uncomfortable. I specifically changed my setup from the "standard" because it just didn't Feel right.

Also, re: Jeff Newman's suggesting people engage both pedals, I think Jeff's trying to get you playing in the shortest time. A lot of beginners can't think of "everything" they're doing...so maybe Jeff's kinda saying "it doesn't hurt...if it's the only way you can hit the lick".

I would be disappointed, though, if I saw any "Pro" doing this on a regular basis.

Don Benoit

Okanagan Falls, BC
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2001 9:24 am    

I should add to my comments that after watching his video over again that Jeff does not push both pedals all the time. He says that it depends on the situation of where your next move will be and this is what Joe was saying also.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Don Benoit

Okanagan Falls, BC
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2002 10:43 am    

Why would a player not keep the B pedal depressed in the following licks:
eg at the third fret....play 5&6 squeezing 5, play 4, play3&5 squeezing 5, 1, 4&5 squeezing 5, 5, 5&6 releasing 5, 6, the 6 finally releasing the B pedal. In IMHO the are many licks when the B pedal should be held down, otherwise strings 3 and 6 would be released unnecessarily, only to be raised later as part of the same lick.

------------------
dben@shaw.ca
http://members.shaw.ca/dben/psg.htm

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger