The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Impact of Fingerpick Thickness on Tone and Speed
DJ Sillito

Lethbrige, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2002 1:31 pm    

Chuck,
For what is worth I may be the odd ball here but I like the thinner picks also and I prefer a banjo pick. However I couldn't imagine paying $30 for a pair. Anyways try this for size. Get a pair of Ernie Ball Banjo picks ( cost: no more than $2.00). They are lightweight easy to bend and have a tapered or pointed end. I think they are great. There are thin though and I am not sure of the gauge but when they wear out they are cheap to replace. I have tried BJ , Nationals, Dunlops, and Reso and always come back to these Ernie Ball Picks.
Just my two cents worth

DJ Sillito
Carter D-10,Mullen volume pedal,Nasville 400,
ProfexII

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2002 4:18 pm    

Bending the bands across the back of the picks properly is also really important. The best thing I've found for proper fitting is a pair of round-nose jeweler's pliers - NOT squared off needlenose. It's not a quick adjustment, figure how many hours you're going to wear those picks a week. They don't have to hurt or turn your fingertips blue, it's just a matter of adjustment.

gary darr

Somewhere out in Texas
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2002 6:30 pm    

Does a Fender med. flat pick count? Guess I played six string too long

------------------
Sho-Bud proII custom,Session 500,American standard Strat,Shecter tele,Peavy Classic 50,Fender Vibrolux

Paul Warnik

Illinois,USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2002 6:14 am    

.020 Dunlaps for pedal steel .025 Nationals for acoustic resos .0225 Dunlaps would be the compromise if I were only able to adjust to one for everything .018 and lighter just dont work for me-I have tried them-I dont hear or feel any difference between brass,nickel silver,or chromed-but getting the proper bend around and angle onto the fingers is important to me-because I pick block alot I do not curl or bend the picks sharply under the finger tip as I have seen many players do-but rather tend to leave them stick out the way that they come when you buy them-I have very large hands-no problem to palm a basketball