The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This forum section is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. ISGC News-Sonny Garrish
Goto page Previous  1, 2
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  ISGC News-Sonny Garrish
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2013 1:28 am    

My mistake Dale. During my last chat with Bobbe Seymour 2 or 3 years ago, he told me that Sonny was still using his old rosewood push pull, and Sonny was definitely playing a rosewood guitar the night I saw him playing with Bill Anderson at the London Palladium around 1971/2. However, John Hughey was playing on the same bill with Twitty, and John and Sonny may have been sharing John's push pull.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2013 6:38 pm    

This is Great! Just the best news I have heard in sometime.

Sonny is one of the best steel players ever! As others mentioned long over due.

Thanks and will be there next year to see Sonny receive his award.

GOD bless!

Terry Wood

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2013 4:43 pm    

I was a member of Tom Bradshaw's record club ions ago. Sonny did an album for tom. If you can get Sonny's album from back then, i'd recommend getting it, if it's still available. B0b Lee might have it if Tom doesn't. Very Happy

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2013 4:51 pm    

Thanks a bunch, guys. I've been trying to follow Sonny Garrish's work for a long time. He's one of the true greats.

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2013 12:22 am    

George Redmon wrote:
I was a member of Tom Bradshaw's record club ions ago. Sonny did an album for tom. If you can get Sonny's album from back then, i'd recommend getting it, if it's still available. B0b Lee might have it if Tom doesn't. Very Happy

Country Soul Stew
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2013 12:59 pm    

That's great news... Sonny Garrish was the first time I heard the
steel guitar at age 5 on many a slim Whitman albums, decided then that that was something I wanted to do. thanks Sonny!

Micky Byrne

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2013 3:33 am    

I agree with my friend Ken Byng....I was in the house band at one of the USAF bases in U.K (Mildenhall).. This was 1970, and the "Floor-Show" was Bill Anderson. I had a cheap Denley English steel and had only been playing a few months. His playing astounded me, plus on one number he used his Boss-tone. He sounded like an Orchestra's cello's dropping in. I was terrified to go on again, but when we all had our "Breakfast" at about 1am...we sat together and he was such a gent...he said "they" all had to start playing from nothing and to keep up practising. He's well deserved his place in the Hall of Fame Very Happy

Micky "scars" Byrne U.K.

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2013 4:10 am    

Micky Byrne wrote:
I agree with my friend Ken Byng....I was in the house band at one of the USAF bases in U.K (Mildenhall).. This was 1970, and the "Floor-Show" was Bill Anderson. I had a cheap Denley English steel and had only been playing a few months. His playing astounded me, plus on one number he used his Boss-tone. He sounded like an Orchestra's cello's dropping in. I was terrified to go on again, but when we all had our "Breakfast" at about 1am...we sat together and he was such a gent...he said "they" all had to start playing from nothing and to keep up practising. He's well deserved his place in the Hall of Fame Very Happy

Micky "scars" Byrne U.K.

Hi Micky
I think we all had our wake up calls from travelling US players around that time. I spoke to John Hughey around '71, and was so overawed by the experience I just clammed up. John, bless him, was in his normal effusive self - itching to talk steel guitar and with nothing interesting coming back at him. One thing I do remember when we saw Sonny - he was extremely good looking. The ladies in my company were all swooning over him. Laughing

Sonny was just sitting there nonchalantly, and all of these incredibly complex licks were pouring out of him. He just made it all look so simple and effortless.
.................................................................................................................................................................................................

Re Sonny's rosewood push pull in an earlier post in this thread, I came across this on the forum.

Tim Fleming wrote:
I own his steel that he used from 1977-early 90's
here 'tis - Played on all the hits.

I love it!!!

Micky Byrne

Post  Posted 29 Nov 2013 10:41 am    

Ken...I agree with you on his looks. A band I used to dep alot with had a lady manager (Who shall be nameless Very Happy )...all she ever talked about was Sonny Garrish. She actually was a very well endowed woman. God was good to her Laughing

Micky "Scars" Byrne U.K.

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2013 10:52 am    

Micky Byrne wrote:
Ken...I agree with you on his looks. A band I used to dep alot with had a lady manager (Who shall be nameless Very Happy )...all she ever talked about was Sonny Garrish. She actually was a very well endowed woman. God was good to her Laughing

Micky "Scars" Byrne U.K.

Was her surname the same as a county in south-east England?

Sorry for the topic drift.

Micky Byrne

Post  Posted 29 Nov 2013 12:47 pm    

Ken...again apologising for going off topic, but I only remember her first name began with "J" Very Happy and she was having a fling for years with the Bass player.
Initials C.C.....Here's a good clue, you mentioned a County. That was the second part of the band's name Winking .... Mr Pete Willsher was their steelie for some time Winking

Micky "scars" Byrne U.K.

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2013 10:33 am    

So well deserved and so long overdue...

Jeremiah Hanley

Springfield, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2013 12:56 pm    

Congratulations, Sonny! You're such a SUPER Steel Player! You played on one of our albums we recorded in Nashville back in 1978! The last time I got to talk with you was at Cornerstone Church!! Also, thanks for being a good friend of my son, Jerry Hanley, who lives there in the Nashville area!! He played drums in the church band years ago! We're so happy for this honor you've been given!

Mike Headrick

South Pittsburg, TN, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2014 11:43 am    

Tell you my opinion of Sonny.........they don't come any better (musician and person).

Back in the 70's I was booked on a session where I was the only player that was less than "A String". I felt like Donald Duck penciled onto the Mona Lisa. Sonny went WAY out of his way to make me feel comfortable, even though both of us were playing steel on the session. I didn't feel that from anyone but Sonny. He's a gem and I think everyone who has ever been around him would agree.

Sonny, if you ever read this.....do you remember Sterling Whipple? I thought so!

Doug Childress

Orange, Texas
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2014 12:33 pm    

First time I became aware of Sonny Garrish was in the 70's when a friend of mine by the name of Jim Taylor cut an album in Nashville and Sonny played steel on it. Sonny stood out then and I am happy that he is being recognized for his contributions. One of the all time best in my opinion.

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2014 5:30 pm    

I am smiling big time after reading this news. For over 30 years Sonny has recorded on countless number of records and recordings. He is all over many Southern Gospel and Christian Country projects plus all the country records he has played on. This award is well deserved and I wish that I could be there to see him accept the award.

Billy McCombs

Bakersfield California, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2014 6:57 pm    

Amazing the Albums he has played on over the years. What a talent. www.allmusic.com/artist/sonny-garrish-mn0000084222/credits
78 Emmons PP,Great tone.82 Emmons SKH #56

Benton Allen

Muscle Shoals, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2014 8:16 am    

Congrats Sonny!
I agree - Very deserving AND Loong overdue.

God Bless,
Benton