The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pedal Steel Associations Cleveland Ohio
James Melillo

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2013 5:50 am    

Are there any pedal steel groups or associations for the Cleveland Ohio area.

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2013 12:12 pm    

James,
There aren't any that I'm aware of.
JB

Ronnie Boettcher

Brunswick Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2013 6:03 pm    

I have never heard of any in the Cleveland area. I might be wrong, but seems to me that pedal steels are very extinct in this area. When I got mine, to even see any for sale, I went to Nashville. Most music stores here, have no idea what they really are. Same applys to top line 5-string banjo's.

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2013 2:01 am    

Ronnie;
The last time that I can remember a music store actually stocking pedal steels was in the Sixties. Central Music out south of the airport. Long time gone. They stocked Shobuds. The last time I saw one was 8/9 years ago at Guitar Center, East. An older GFI. They had no idea at all about what to do with it, so I bought it for 1/3 it's value. Of course, for a long time, just about everyone here went straight to Joe Kline for their guitars.
JB

Ronnie Boettcher

Brunswick Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2013 4:21 am    

Your right JB. Back then, I didn't know about Kline. I was in Master music, on W25th st. and someone brought in a fender 400, to trade it. The owner said what is that. I bought it for what the person wanted, think about $150. Took it home, and set the 8 strings up E9. After a few months, it was a antique, no knee levers. Thats when I went to Nashville to look at some. Did a recording session there, and Lloyd Green was on steel. He talked me into the LDG. Showed me some moves, and I ordered one. Only steel player I knew then was Bill West, when we were doing the weekly stage shows at the Dennison theater, along with Dottie, and Cathy Dirth.

James Melillo

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2013 5:24 am     should we organize one?

I've only been playing a couple of years. I started on a ShoBud, 3 pedals no levers after about 6 months ordered a Stage One and really pleased with the instrument. Hoping to get some tips from other players.

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2013 6:38 am    

Rick Troyer, at Hummingbird, might know about a northern ,Ohio club?????
They're in Sugarcreek.
http://www.hummingbirdmusicstudio.com/main.html.

James Melillo

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2013 6:54 am     pedal steel assoc.

I had Rick work on my "maverick" when I first got it. Did great work and a great guy. I believe they have one in that area but too far to drive from Parma, Ohio.

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2013 7:24 am    

Yup! Rick is a great guy! But they are a bit far. However, for a weekly or bi-weekly lesson, I think the drive would be worth it. Looks like he has a guitar I assembled for sale. If they were closer, I'd be hanging out there!
JB

William Kendrick

Bedford Heights, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2013 7:53 pm    

Hi, Guys. I am here in Bedford Heights. I have a 1979 Emmons D10 PushPull. I love the old country stuff. Please include me in your discussions. I would seriously like to go somewhere for a week just to get back in the game (been out of it for about 25 years, but dug it out again about a year ago).
1979 Emmons D-10 P/P 8X5, Lawrence L-710 Pickups, Li'l Izzy, Telonics Volume Pedal, Goodrich Super Sustain Matchbox, Lexicon MX200 Dual Reverb Effects Processor, Peavey Vegas 400 Amplifier with BW Speaker.

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2013 6:29 am    

Here's your chance to start your own steel guitar club.

David Cubbedge

Toledo,Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2013 9:13 am    

Look in the 'events' category here, you will find a Columbus-area pedal steel group. They're having a get-together on Nov. 23.
Red Emmons D10 fatback #2246D with sweet Hugh Briley split cases, Black Emmons S10 #1466S, '73 Fender "Snakeskin" Twin Reverb, Peavey Nashville 400, Line 6 Pod XT, Fender 400, Fender Stringmaster Double-8, too many guitars, one bass!

William Kendrick

Bedford Heights, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2013 6:42 pm    

Thanks for the information.
1979 Emmons D-10 P/P 8X5, Lawrence L-710 Pickups, Li'l Izzy, Telonics Volume Pedal, Goodrich Super Sustain Matchbox, Lexicon MX200 Dual Reverb Effects Processor, Peavey Vegas 400 Amplifier with BW Speaker.