The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Cal Worthington, LA country icon
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2013 5:28 pm    

Cal Worthington, SoCal mega-car dealer, has died at age 92. Cal sponsored most of the country music television shows in Los Angeles, starting in the early 1960's. His shows gave exposure to countless country music artists, and was a true patron of country music in Southern California.

When I was a young teenager, I literally learned to play by watching Cal's shows and picking along.

God bless Cal Worthington!

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2013 5:52 pm    

very sad to hear this. Cal sold me my first car(used) when I got out of the military. Actually not him personally one of his salesman who called him to mention I had not much to put down. He Ok'd the deal. I had used Sammy Masters name,LOl. A 1953 Caddie Convertible. Did a few of the old Coral Huntington park ballroom shows in the early 60s.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2013 9:00 pm    

Cal is survived by his dog, Spot.

Fred Justice

Mesa, Arizona
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2013 9:20 pm    

Indeed b0b, a very colorful fellow Cal Worthington.
I remember him having a different animal of some nature each day on the commercials when he had dealerships in Phoenix. But it was always his "Dog Spot" "GO SEE CAL"" was the chant.
rest in peace Cal Worthington.

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2013 10:26 pm    

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2013 10:41 pm    

One night at the Palomino, about 30 or so years ago, Cal was introduced from the bandstand...just being pointed out that he was in the audience.
He got the loudest ovation I heard anyone get at the Pal.
Adios, Cal...
"We'll see ya here"

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2013 3:23 am    

A true American Folk Character.
I remember him on late night TV when I lived in SoCal.

"I'll eat a bug if you buy a car from me!"

Johnny Carson patterned many bits from Cal's work.

RIP Cal, you're still making me smile.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2013 6:05 am    

Fred Justice wrote:
I remember him having a different animal of some nature each day on the commercials when he had dealerships in Phoenix. But it was always his "Dog Spot" "GO SEE CAL"" was the chant.

Here's the origin of Cal's menagerie of pets.

Cal had a competing car dealer named Ralph Williams, who had taken over a Ford dealership previously owned by former actor Ben Alexander ("Dragnet"), and was the sponsor of a weeknight local movie show. His onscreen salesman was Chick Lambert, a very well-liked TV personality who featured his beautiful German Shepherd on all the commercial spots during the breaks in the movies. When the dog got sick and went to the veterinarian, viewers sent in letters and well-wishes to Chick... who was very emotional about the dog and its supporters.

So Cal decided he needed to have his "dog" on his commercials as well, and wound up having every animal from Noah's Ark on down as his "dog Spot" on his ubiquitous TV ads, which were many in the LA area.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2013 6:58 am    

I remember Ralfh Williams. He also owned a Rambler dealership he sold to Frankie Lane. Ben Alexanders Caddy dealership was bought by Leon Ames. Talking about 62-63.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2013 7:16 am    

Joe Casey wrote:
I remember Ralfh Williams. He also owned a Rambler dealership he sold to Frankie Lane. Ben Alexanders Caddy dealership was bought by Leon Ames. Talking about 62-63.

Joe, you're right! I remember Leon Ames Cadillac dealership. Smile

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2013 7:20 am    

Earnest Bovine wrote:

Lovin' it Doug. Would be a great quote to insert into a hard bop tune. Laughing

Alvin Blaine

Picture Rocks, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2013 8:51 am    

Herb Steiner wrote:
Fred Justice wrote:

Here's the origin of Cal's menagerie of pets.

Cal had a competing car dealer named Ralph Williams, who had taken over a Ford dealership previously owned by former actor Ben Alexander ("Dragnet"), and was the sponsor of a weeknight local movie show. His onscreen salesman was Chick Lambert, a very well-liked TV personality who featured his beautiful German Shepherd on all the commercial spots during the breaks in the movies. When the dog got sick and went to the veterinarian, viewers sent in letters and well-wishes to Chick... who was very emotional about the dog and its supporters.

So Cal decided he needed to have his "dog" on his commercials as well, and wound up having every animal from Noah's Ark on down as his "dog Spot" on his ubiquitous TV ads, which were many in the LA area.

The other part of the story is that Fletcher Jones was doing his commercials with puppies, and offered a free puppy with every car. The next Cal Worthington commercial had Cal offering his "Dog Spot" to anyone who bought a car, and when he showed his "Dog Spot" it was a big gorilla chained to a car looking like it was ready to kill something. It was after that ad that he started using every kind of animal for his "Dog Spot".

Alvin Blaine

Picture Rocks, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2013 8:55 am    

Herb Steiner wrote:
Earnest Bovine wrote:

Lovin' it Doug. Would be a great quote to insert into a hard bop tune. Laughing

I don't remember where I heard it, but someone told me Cal himself wrote the song, and this is him singin it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOsLdT4slsk

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2013 9:25 am    

Cal looked like he really enjoyed his life.

I don't think it was him singing the jingle, though. And it didn't sound to me like Sammy Masters either.

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2013 11:25 am    

I remember Cal in one of his commercials standing on the upper wing of an old Bi-Plane and hanging onto a rope or something. He was quite a daredevil... We played outside at his Worthington "Ford" dealership in Compton or Downey some years back. I played once at the old place with "Martha Lou" Gatches who could really belt out a song. Cal let her use a "loaner" to drive around in.....

I don't remember Leon Ames Cadillac but I remember Leon Ames Ford which was the one that Ralph Williams took over. He was the general manager of Ames Ford dealership, I'm pretty certain about this. All said though, Cal was indeed a legend in SoCal for many years.............JH in Va.

Cal Sharp

the farm in Kornfield Kounty, TN
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2013 12:10 pm    

Sorry to read this. I used to watch Cal when I got home from the Pal. Loved it. There's a bunch of videos on YouTube.
Custom Made Covers for Steel Guitars & Amps at Sharp Covers Nashville

Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2013 6:54 pm    

I will never forget those commercials on TV when I was stationed at Marine Corps Base 29 Palms in 1977. Had no idea of his connection to country music in earlier times.

Just a few years ago there was a profile of Cal in some magazine. I believe it said he lived in the mountains somewhere in Northern California with a young wife and commuted to LA on his jet as required. The secret to a long life I suppose........ Very Happy

Jay Fagerlie

Lotus, California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2013 4:17 am    

The 'young wife' was/is Susan Henning, who was rumored to be 'friends' with Elvis...or at least her book said she was... Laughing
She still lives in Lincoln, Ca, right outside of Sacramento.

Steve Branscom

Pacific NW
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2013 7:47 am    

Cal was a bomber pilot in WWII

Niels Andrews

Salinas, California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2013 10:38 am    

I will never forget when the students from UCSB filmed him picking his nose on a LA freeway, imagine if they would have had the internet. Go see Cal, truly an Icon.

Neil Rogerson

Molalla, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2013 11:23 am     Go See Cal in Anchorage,AK

I remember Cal being on TV commercials in Anchorage,AK in the mid 70's standing on the wing of a biplane or playing with that tiger......truly a great promoter...

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2013 12:06 pm    

Cal was dear friends with Bonnie Price owner of The Foothill Club. Cal also was a big supporter of The Academy Of Country & Western Music known as the Academy Of Country Music today that Tommy Wiggins and many others started at the Foothill Club in Signal Hills,California just right outside of Long Beach. The New young Runarange Country Stars of today will get the real History of the Academy Of Country Music down right sooner or later that Dick Clark was not the founder of it that Reba McEntire said he was on world wide T.V. RIP both of you and thanks for all the support that you gave me as well as others here in Southern California. Sad Uncle Leo J.Eiffert,Jr.

Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2013 5:56 pm    

Very familiar with Cal and the country shows he used to sponsor on Saturday nights. My brother text me the other day lamenting Cal's passing. We loved those commercials. Cal was one of a kind. RIP.

Billy Tonnesen

R.I.P., Buena Park, California
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2013 3:10 pm    

It is my recollection that Cal's first major car dealership was a HUDSON AGENCY in the early 50's on
Slausaon Ave in Huntington Park, Ca he would do live shows from the floor of the Garage. It wasn't too long until he changed to a Dodge Agency and went on from there. Once he booked Marty Robbins at the delership and caused a traffic jam up amd down Slauson Ave.

IMHO, the best thing Cal did for Country music was to Set up the "Cal's Corral from the Huntington Park
Ballwoom every Sunday Afternoon. Each Band played for a half hour. Every body showed up for this show and if you were out of wwrk, someone would hire you

Also, I thought the Jingle "Go See Cal" was written by Sammy Masters. Could be wrong ! Sammy left us earlier this year.

a

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2013 2:24 am    

Worthington Dodge
2771 East Slauson Ave.
Huntington Park, Calif..........JH in Va.