The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Attention : > GFI Players <
Dale Hansen

Hendersonville,Tennessee, (USA)
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2013 3:51 pm    

Hi again, Fellas.

It's been a fair while since I've discussed these GFI 'mods', so, the chances are good that there is a whole new crop of GFI players now, who haven't even heard of these.
I introduced them a few years ago...> Over here

If you play a GFI guitar, you owe it to yourself to try this ridiculously easy, inexpensive modification trick which will do three things:
A) They'll Quiet down the undercarriage of your guitar, significantly...
B) They'll reduce the wear on the brass, rod bushings in the bell cranks, by minimizing the 'slop' in the linkage.
C) They'll make your pulls more positive feeling, accurate, and true.
Honestly,..it'll feel like a whole new guitar.

I just found a new bulk supplier, who has the particular nylon bushings that I prefer. I just got em', and they're exactly what I was hoping for...
You don't hafta get these from me,..I'd be glad to give you the spec's, and you can certainly hunt them down yourself - But, if you have to buy five or more packs, at 5 to a pack, It's gonna cost you 4 X as much,..let alone your gas expenditures, from running all over town.
You can get them from me > Pre-cut, with instructions, and ready to snap on, for $3.00 per neck. (24 pc's) (Ordering details, below)
Here's a quick peek, to give y'all an idea of what I'm talking about...

Also, if you'd like to see more, I have a You-Tube Video where these 'mod's are shown, and discussed a bit, too.

To order:
Send a > Self Addressed Stamped Envelope, along with $3.00, per neck -
To:
Dale Hansen
2661 Long Hollow Pike
Hendersonville, Tn
37075-8721

(Bessdang Gizmos)
"An Equal Opportunity Annoyer"
Ph # (615) 618 0776
call, anytime...

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2013 6:46 pm    

I don't have a GFI, and am not real familiar with the undercarriage, but $3 a neck sounds pretty reasonable.

Eric Henry

Corvallis, OR
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2013 1:10 pm    

Heads up -- 3 bucks, coming in hot!

Thank you, Dale

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2013 1:46 pm    

I tried those on my wife's S-10 Expo. Didn't really make a difference.

Dale Hansen

Post  Posted 8 Oct 2013 11:55 am    

@ Jack Stoner -
What, exactly, was the point of your post? Was it intended to deter other GFI players from trying a cheap, practical modification? I don't make money from offering these kits. I probably lose money. But, I truly do believe in using them. If a player gets no other benefit > than eliminating several years worth of wear, from installing them,..so be it. I have a 2007 GFI, with no observable wear. I have seen 5 year old GFI's that were totally worn out, in dire need of replacement brass rod holders, with reamed-out, sloppy fitting, bell-crank holes.
The fact remains, that the vast majority of players have reported a very significant improvement in performance with their GFI guitars. - Myself, included.

DH

Last edited by Dale Hansen on 8 Oct 2013 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2013 2:46 pm    

Deleted

Last edited by Jack Stoner on 9 Oct 2013 2:30 am; edited 1 time in total

Dale Hansen

Post  Posted 8 Oct 2013 5:04 pm    

@ Jack,
I do apologize for my previous, (hot-headed) remarks, which I've deleted.
I assume that you meant "thin skinned".(?)
Those little buggers sure made a huge difference with my guitar. It plays just as true as the day I brought it home.
Many others would agree, too.
I suppose I should have asked if you had installed them properly, (bushings) and, I'm sorry that the 'mods' failed to meet your expectations. If you got them from me, I'll gladly refund to you whatever you sent for em'.
I probably ought to just quit offering them.
Most of these guys know what they are, and where to find em' by now, anyway.

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2013 5:39 pm    

Dale, please don't do that. Most of our forum brothers and sisters are not innovators like you. But there are tons of them with opinions. You just keep on bringing your ideas to us and ignore the detractors and nay-sayers...whether their comments are intentional or not.

I do greatly appreciate your work. Don't give up. After all, you said the great many of your customers love them....so keep on keepin' on with those new ideas.

Norbert Dengler

germany
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2013 8:01 pm    

i own 2 S 10 GFI s an expo and ab ultra.
i`ve done the mod on the (older) ultra and it made the guitar play smoother and quiter.
so thanks dale for the idea of installing them.
regards from germany, norbert
Smile

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2013 2:33 am    

I didn't buy them from you, I got them at the local Lowe's. Like I said, if I didn't think it had some merit I wouldn't have tried it.

I guess I'm used to my Franklin and don't play the GFI much as "its my wife's".

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2013 8:02 am    

As I don't own a GFI, I got no dog in the fight. That said, it seems to me reasonable that the mod would have no appreciable effect if done before things get worn, much as a tune-up done in time: if you set the timing before it drifts and regap the plugs when they're still firing, you haven't wasted your time and money.

Dale Hansen

Post  Posted 9 Oct 2013 6:14 pm    

No need for a dog here, - There ain't any fight going on.
Nobody missed any drama, or anything important...
I was trying a little too heavy-handedly to goad Jack into elaborating on his conclusions. Lacking tact, I (*metaphorically) snuck up on him from behind and pulled his boxers up past his shoulder blades. He wheeled around and punched me in the nose for it.

T'wern't Jack's fault. I had it coming,..as usual.

Dan Behringer

Jerseyville, Illinois
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2013 4:29 am    

I just purchased a 3 year old GFI SD10 and I was amazed at how badly wore those little ferrules were on the pedal linkages. I’m no musician or pedal steel expert but in my occupation I keep machinery operating 24/7/365, so I know a little bit about keeping things working properly.
Dale’s modification will no doubt help those ferrules last longer, and you need to keep those little buggers lubricated folks!

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2013 4:40 am    

BTW, I put them on the A and B pedal pulls. It looks like the pedal rods mechanism is more noisy than the changer pull rods on our GFI.

Dale Hansen

Post  Posted 18 Oct 2013 5:30 pm    

@ Eric,
'Mods' sent. > (10/15/13)
Please do, let me know how they work out for you.
Call, or drop me a line, if you need any help with the install procedure.
Thanks, DH
(615) 618 0776

ROBERT MYERS

HEDGESVILLE, W.VA. USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2013 5:50 am    

Dale I will mail out a order for both necks tomorrow morning. Gonna put them on my Pedalmaster Classic.
Thanks for doing this. Bob

Dale Hansen

Post  Posted 20 Oct 2013 9:32 am    

Hold up there, Bob. These critters are for a GFI undercarriage. I have no idea what the mechanism, or linkage system is used on the "Pedalmaster". I cannot seem to find a single 'flick' of one turned upside down, anywhere...
DH

ROBERT MYERS

HEDGESVILLE, W.VA. USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2013 10:58 am    

Hey Dale, The Pedalmaster has the GFI bellcranks and brass retainers so I know your kit will work. I've got everything made up to drop in the mail tomorrow morning.
Thanks, Bob

Pete Nicholls

Macon, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2013 11:59 am    

I put some on my Pedal Master Classic, and they fit ok. I notice that there are varying amounts of space where those washers go, so in some cases, the nylon spacers would have to be sanded down a bit to fit properly but I didn't go to that extent. The ones I did put on did reduce the noise from the undercarriage.
Quilter Labs Tone Block 202 Head
Roland Cube 80-XL
American Stratocaster - Yamaha Bass Guitar
1 Fender Telecaster Nashville Edition
Ham Call: N4BHB

Bob Kagy

Lafayette, CO USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2013 2:21 pm    

I put some on my GFI S10 Expo, they worked well. I've also used foam between some of the long pull rods to quiet their vibrations. Overall I'm highly satisfied with the GFI's and am on my 3rd, a U12.

I wish there was a way to quiet the pedal rods; I've tried a few things that didn't work. Have you ever tackled that one Dale? There was a post by Paul Franklin on the forum that basically said it's something we have to live with.
BK

Dale Hansen

Post  Posted 25 Oct 2013 7:00 pm    

Good question, Bob. The answer is absolutely, positively, yes, I have,..And thanks for asking...I first tried those same foam 'fingers', - just like I used on my ol' PP Emmons, but I found that it had too much 'drag' on the returns to be of any use to me. Here's the good news. No, I apologize,...it's actually great news.
There are several other things that you can do, besides the 'mod' kit, to quiet things down underneath your GFI guitar.
For starters, add 1/8" strips of self-adhesive-*Velcro-(fuzz) along the sides of any bell-crank that contacts the longest pull rods. (5 & 10 - 4,& 8 ) These longer rods tend to clatter in a rather annoying fashion whenever they're activated, and released, in a rapid manner. Use brand name *Velcro, because it has the best 'fuzz' material and backing adhesive.
Here are a couple of flicks to help you out. This illustrates the placement of the *Velcro strips.
( I advise you to clean the bell-crank with rubbing alcohol, before applying these strips)

Secondly, use some tiny 4" nylon ties, in the nearest available bell-crank holes, just to 'rein these critters' in a little bit. You don't want them super tight - Just enough of a loop to keep them from rattling around - While allowing them to move freely.

Feel free to call me Anytime, Bob, if you need guidance, or further clarification... ( This goes for anybody...)
Thanks again, y'all
Your pal, Dale

P.S: Recently sent out 'Mod' kits
T. Wallace
R. Dickson
R. Roney
B. Meyers
J. Kellam

Best of everything to all of you fellas, and please do..- let me know how they work out for you...
And, again, call if you need help. > (615) 618 0776
(Your pal, Dale)

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2013 7:09 pm    

i think i'm clear on it. you're a swell guy , dale to offer all these tips so generously. 'as if you actually care'. i know you do, thanks.

Bob Poole

Myrtle Beach SC, USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2013 11:32 pm    

I think Dale does a lot for GFI pickers.I had some problems once which he helped me fix,by phone,with the guitar flipped over on my bed(I have limited workspace)...I can certainly speak for his "mods"...did a couple of the above on a GFI Ultra that I had a while...It was a big help...yes,some of my washers needed a bit of sanding down as some of the brass retainers,i guess,had more wear & were looser than others.the Velcro was a big help also.Along with Dale's phone help,mods & a "factory" rod chart from Bob @ GFI,i ended up with a very quiet & smooth playing geetar.I still miss it.Thanks Dale

Dale Hansen

Post  Posted 26 Oct 2013 6:25 am    

Thanks for the kind words, Chris & Bob (Poole)
I've been blessed with lots of help from countless folks over countless years, so I'm just doing my bit to pass it along.

@ Bob Kagy:
My apologies. I just re-read your question and noticed that you were asking about the pedal rods.
Well, oddly enough, if you take another gander at the top photo, you'll notice that I have 'sleeved' my rod hooks with shrink wrap. (red)
You'll need shrink tubing that is roughly the same actual size as the rod. I cut them into 1/2" segments, warmed them up to get them stretchy, then 'snaked' em' into position. It ain't easy, but I think it's worth the effort. It will fill the hook hole up a bit more, and minimize the play that makes most of that racket.
DH Rolling Eyes

Bob Kagy

Lafayette, CO USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2013 9:04 am    

Dale, thanks for all of your comments and pics.

Yes I was talking about pedal rods and just to add to the failed experiments category, I tried interweaving surgical tubing among the 8 pedal rods on my D10 and anchoring the tubing on the front legs (I realize it wasn't a practical idea but I wanted to see if the principal would work). To my surprise it didn't have as big an effect as I hoped. Getting on and off pedals quickly was still noisy but the reverberation of the pedal rods was damped to a degree. I thought of stiffening the rods with some sort of plastic press-on sleeve but couldn't find anything that would fit that role. The pedal rods are almost like heavy gauge harp strings that resonate with each other.

The point you made about foam between long pull rods was good - I found some foam would cripple the returns too, just went to a softer, thinner foam where necessary. In my D10, that had a lot of changes, I used white lithium grease where 2 bent pull rods (for my weird changes) rubbed against each other; it worked OK.

I used plastic washers from Lowes on the S10 following your directions all the way; they worked effectively.

For my new U12, it'll be a couple of months of retraining myself before I get around to addressing the undercarriage.

In the meantime, I've saved your thread address and expect to get back to you in the future. Thanks for all the help and pointers you've offered.

Thanks, BK