The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My Most Valuable Lap Steel. Please Share Yours
C. E. Jackson

Post  Posted 17 Sep 2020 3:01 pm    

Greg Forsyth wrote:
Hello C.E. & All,
Earlier in this post I added my ca. 1937 Recording King "Roy Smeck" special as one of the guitars that C.E. had put a call out for.

I have 2 lap steels that are my most treasured. One is the Recording King and the other is a bakelite Rick B6 dating from ca.1945-49.
Here's a photo of the 2 together,
Rick and Roy.

Rick may have only the 1-1/4" horseshoe PU, but it has the best tone of any guitar I've heard, and I don't know if the PU is adjusted at its best. I'm not messing w/ it. The Rick is in great condition, especially for its age.

Roy has the beautiful tiger maple top and back, and the finish has a wonderful patina w/ slight crazing.
This steel has a very wonderful tone as well. Recently I changed the tuning to C6, and with the new strings the tone jumped to life. I think it was a combination of new strings and maybe a different tuning. Both steels are quality built.
There are a lot of wonderful quality built guitars exhibited in this thread, and all I would be happy to own. Some of them are older, and some have been recently built by people who have commited themselves to building high quality instruments, and I'd like to thank all the steel guitar builders for maintaing the traditions of their crafts.

Greg

Greg, 2 great looking vintage steels that you can be proud to own. Thanks for posting. Keepers.

I have a 7 string Rickenbacker which I like very much.

RICKENBACKER MODEL B (white plates) 7 string: c.1946

I also have a RECORDING KING ROY SMECK AB-104: c.1938
(It has a screwed on back)

C. E. Jackson Smile

Joe Cook wrote:
I love this thread! My newest is my new favorite.

Just got it today and it is a pleasure to hear and play. Still can't play like Jerry!

Joe, I have never played one of these Fry Pans, but those
I have heard played on YouTube sound very good. Thanks
for posting the photo and comments. Enjoy. Keeper.

C. E. Jackson Smile

Wally Pfeifer wrote:
Thanks, Greg. Yes, it is mint. Has only been played in public about 4 times. Otherwise just for my own pleasure and my rhythm player who is now deceased. No scratches, no chips, no dents. Mint.

[img]
[/img]
[img]
[/img]

I have the Fender Vibrolux amp with the Fender double 6.

A beautiful steel, Wally. One to be very proud of.
A keeper, if it were mine. Thanks for the photos
and comments.

I have a single neck Fender 8 that I purchased several years ago,
which sounds great and I enjoy very much. No flaws. Mint.

FENDER DELUXE 8 string (ivory blonde):early 1960's

C. E. Jackson Smile

Thanks again to all for photos with comments, and comments by Jack Hanson and Dan Barnhill.

Friend to all,

C. E. Jackson Very Happy

A6 tuning for steels

Ken McClure

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2020 8:25 pm     1958 Champ

I just joined this site after spending a few weeks checking out a lot of the post and comments. I'm amazed at the number of people who are collectors and steel players. Also how many of you are my age (70) and older.
I'm a life long Tulsan and became interested in the steel guitar in 1956 when my dad who was a custom furniture builder had a customer by the name of Leon McAuliffe. Leon played here with his Cimarron Boys at the Cains Ballroom for several years. I was lucky enough to meet him only once when he came into dads shop to talk about the thing dad was working on for him.(I don't remember what that was) and I just happened to be there.

In 1958 Dad purchased a brand new Fender 6 string as a Christmas present for me and a new Accordion for a older sister. I have a 8mm movie he filmed of us both playing them.

Starting at 8 years old I took lessons for 4 year from Duane Bass until he left Tulsa for California in 1962. I then continued my lessons from Dick Gordan whos son continues to teach here in Tulsa.

Between the time Duane Bass left and finding Dick Gordan my Dad decided I had not been very careful with my steel and decided to custom duplicate the body of it in his favorite wood Walnut. This is a photo of it as currently is. I'm not sure if him doing this has made it lose value but to me I'll always have the memory of how amazing it looked compared to the cream colored beat up one I had turned that new one into.
Around 1963 I Got a new Gibson double neck and stopped playing the Fender and lost track of it. After high school I lost interest in playing the steel and sold the Gibson after I got married and needed the cash.

Dad passed away in 2018 and my mom found my steel tucked away in a closet while going thru his stuff. You can imagine my surprise to see it after well over 50 years

As you can see from the fret plate it was very well played for 6 years. I am thinking about restoring it as I spent the last 52 years finishing everything my Dad built and restoring fine furniture as my business of which I am now retired.

Last edited by Ken McClure on 10 Oct 2020 9:13 pm; edited 2 times in total

Don Barnhill

California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2020 8:52 pm    

Ken, Beautiful lap steel and even more of an incredible first post. Great story!
Don

Ken McClure

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2020 9:57 am    

Thank you Don. I'm sure for many here the true value of these steels are as much of the story behind them or where they were found as the actual cash value if trying to sell them

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2020 10:23 am    

Ken McClure wrote:
Thank you Don. I'm sure for many here the true value of these steels are as much of the story behind them or where they were found as the actual cash value if trying to sell them

That was an awesome story Ken. The fact that your Dad made it for you is the most important thing. My son has wanted a Tele for quite awhile. I tried my best to get him interested in steel, but he just likes the armpit stuff. I don't have early access to the machine shop where I work because of Covid 19. Our hours have changed, we all enter the building at staggered times, gloves, masks and temp. check at the door. I was really itching to build something and did some online digging around and found so many tele parts being made it was mind boggling. I was on Ebay and chose two vendors. One for the neck the other for the body. I could not be happier with their work........the fit for the neck was perfect. I told them both the size I wanted and they obliged. My son will get his tele on Nov. 2 for his 47th birtday. I hope he has a similar story like yours in years to come.

Ken McClure

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2020 10:35 am    

Wonderful Bill, not only will he have a story but I'm sure it will be passed down for generations to come.
Hope your son can play some accompaniment with you and your steel

C. E. Jackson

Post  Posted 16 Oct 2020 7:32 am     Re: 1958 Champ

Ken McClure wrote:
I just joined this site after spending a few weeks checking out a lot of the post and comments. I'm amazed at the number of people who are collectors and steel players. Also how many of you are my age (70) and older.
I'm a life long Tulsan and became interested in the steel guitar in 1956 when my dad who was a custom furniture builder had a customer by the name of Leon McAuliffe. Leon played here with his Cimarron Boys at the Cains Ballroom for several years. I was lucky enough to meet him only once when he came into dads shop to talk about the thing dad was working on for him.(I don't remember what that was) and I just happened to be there.

In 1958 Dad purchased a brand new Fender 6 string as a Christmas present for me and a new Accordion for a older sister. I have a 8mm movie he filmed of us both playing them.

Starting at 8 years old I took lessons for 4 year from Duane Bass until he left Tulsa for California in 1962. I then continued my lessons from Dick Gordan whos son continues to teach here in Tulsa.

Between the time Duane Bass left and finding Dick Gordan my Dad decided I had not been very careful with my steel and decided to custom duplicate the body of it in his favorite wood Walnut. This is a photo of it as currently is. I'm not sure if him doing this has made it lose value but to me I'll always have the memory of how amazing it looked compared to the cream colored beat up one I had turned that new one into.
Around 1963 I Got a new Gibson double neck and stopped playing the Fender and lost track of it. After high school I lost interest in playing the steel and sold the Gibson after I got married and needed the cash.

Dad passed away in 2018 and my mom found my steel tucked away in a closet while going thru his stuff. You can imagine my surprise to see it after well over 50 years

As you can see from the fret plate it was very well played for 6 years. I am thinking about restoring it as I spent the last 52 years finishing everything my Dad built and restoring fine furniture as my business of which I am now retired.

Ken, welcome to the Forum. Thanks very much for this sentimental and historical post regarding your 1958 Champ. Leon McCauliffe was certainly a great and interesting player who was inducted into the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame in 1978.

Our first steel guitars came on similar occasions, yours on Christmas 1978, and mine on Christmas 1949.

Your Dad did a great job of duplicating the body in Walnut.

Since both of our Dads have passed away, our first Christmas steels have a great sentimental meaning for us, and our first steels are keepers.

I have a FENDER CHAMP (ivory blond): c. 1958, but I like your steel with Walnut body very much.

Your friend,

C. E. Jackson Very Happy

Bill Groner wrote:
Ken McClure wrote:

That was an awesome story Ken. The fact that your Dad made it for you is the most important thing. My son has wanted a Tele for quite awhile. I tried my best to get him interested in steel, but he just likes the armpit stuff. I don't have early access to the machine shop where I work because of Covid 19. Our hours have changed, we all enter the building at staggered times, gloves, masks and temp. check at the door. I was really itching to build something and did some online digging around and found so many tele parts being made it was mind boggling. I was on Ebay and chose two vendors. One for the neck the other for the body. I could not be happier with their work........the fit for the neck was perfect. I told them both the size I wanted and they obliged. My son will get his tele on Nov. 2 for his 47th birtday. I hope he has a similar story like yours in years to come.

Bill, what a beautiful instrument. Your son should be very pleased with this birthday gift.

I have 4 sons, 50-61, but none play steel. One granddaughter, 18, who plays some steel.

Your friend,

C. E. Jackson Very Happy

Also, thanks to Don and Ken for comments.

George Piburn called this Forum Topic a "TREASURE CHEST" earlier. This name still seems
great to me. I certainly enjoy looking at photos and reading comments, and can easily spend
2 hr. looking from beginning to end of all posts.

Friend to all,

C. E. Jackson Very Happy

A6 tuning for steels

Last edited by C. E. Jackson on 13 Jan 2021 10:40 am; edited 3 times in total

Ken McClure

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2020 8:10 am    

Thanks for your nice post C E Jackson I agree with the Treasure Chest discription of this thread.

As for my Champ I'm seriously considering to do a total restoration of it. The finish is still very good except for the age cracks in the lacquer finish from drying out. The fretboard is my biggest concern as it shows more wear from picking than any other photos I've seen on this site. I doubt I'll find a replacement for it as I would only replace it with an original fretboard or make an attempt to restore this one. If I do try restoring it I also want to have the original faceplate with has some scratches on it re-platied to keep it the original one . All of the electronics work perfectly and the plating on the tuner is still in great shape.
I've spent my life restoring antiques and fine furniture and would really love to make it look like it did the day I got it and know that the tone and sound will not be changed buy what I would do.

Greg Forsyth

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2020 8:53 am    

C.E.,

Thanks so much for starting this post. It's been a most interesting read, and to see everyones photos of what they have collected/built for their treasure chests (that includes children) has been a delight. I'd love to see more!

C. E. Jackson

Post  Posted 29 Oct 2020 5:33 am    

Ken McClure wrote:
Thanks for your nice post C E Jackson I agree with the Treasure Chest discription of this thread.

As for my Champ I'm seriously considering to do a total restoration of it. The finish is still very good except for the age cracks in the lacquer finish from drying out. The fretboard is my biggest concern as it shows more wear from picking than any other photos I've seen on this site. I doubt I'll find a replacement for it as I would only replace it with an original fretboard or make an attempt to restore this one. If I do try restoring it I also want to have the original faceplate with has some scratches on it re-platied to keep it the original one . All of the electronics work perfectly and the plating on the tuner is still in great shape.
I've spent my life restoring antiques and fine furniture and would really love to make it look like it did the day I got it and know that the tone and sound will not be changed buy what I would do.

Ken, thanks for the nice comment. I, like you, agree that George Piburn made a great choice when he called this Forum topic a "TREASURE CHEST." If you decide on total restoration, please keep members up to date during the restoration. Since you are a professional regarding restoration of antiques and fine furniture, your restoration of the steel should be excellent.

Best of luck on your decision, and looking forward to your posts of progress.

C. E. Jackson Smile

Greg Forsyth wrote:
C.E.,

Thanks so much for starting this post. It's been a most interesting read, and to see everyones photos of what they have collected/built for their treasure chests (that includes children) has been a delight. I'd love to see more!

Greg, thanks for the great comments. All posts are valuable and sentimental to those making them, and to their children. I have kept a journal on each of my steel purchases, including professional appraisals of many of my vintage steels, in order to leave an understanding regarding sentiment, history, and value. I, like you, would love to see additional photos and historical comments, if other Forum members would like to share information in the future.

C. E. Jackson Smile

Thanks again to all who have chosen to share information with our members.

Friend to all,

C. E. Jackson Very Happy

A6 tuning for steels

Last edited by C. E. Jackson on 13 Jan 2021 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total

Donald Wade

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2020 10:02 am    

After owning way too many steel guitars to count I'd have to say my fave lap steel is this National Console 150 and my Dobro cast 7 string lap steel. I must say that my fav steel is my Clinesmith D-10 console.

Donald Wade

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2020 10:10 am    

Here is the 7 string Dobro lap with amp. Very under-rated and sounds wonderful. My 48' Fender triple 8's table models are also some of my fave but I got too small a lap, also TV trays work just fine. Thanks to all.

Don Barnhill

California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2020 3:41 pm    

Very cool! Thanks for showing us.

Joe Cook

Lake Osoyoos, WA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2020 3:55 pm    

Yeah Donald! Love the look of those old Dobros. Seven string is very cool Cool

C. E. Jackson

Post  Posted 5 Nov 2020 3:20 pm    

Donald Wade wrote:
After owning way too many steel guitars to count I'd have to say my fave lap steel is this National Console 150 and my Dobro cast 7 string lap steel. I must say that my fav steel is my Clinesmith D-10.

Donald, I really like your National Console double neck. I can't ever remember seeing one, so maybe they are fairly rare. George Gruhn and Walter Carter pictured one in their book "ELECTRIC GUITARS & BASSES"-1994. I really like the headstock design.

C. E. Jackson Smile

Donald Wade wrote:
Here is the 7 string Dobro lap with amp. Very under-rated and sounds wonderful. My 48' Fender triple 8's table models are also some of my fave but I got too small a lap, also TV trays work just fine. Thanks to all.

Donald, cast and decorated lap steels are very rare and expensive today. I would say your 7 string Dobro and amp are keepers.

I once communicated with Clinesmith and he indicated that an initial casting could cost as much as $8,000, and each additional casting would still be expensive for small quantities of production.

Thanks,

C. E. Jackson Smile

Thanks to Don Barnhill and Joe Cook for comments.

Friend to all,

C. E. Jackson Very Happy

A6 tuning for steels

Last edited by C. E. Jackson on 13 Jan 2021 11:10 am; edited 2 times in total

C. E. Jackson

Post  Posted 8 Dec 2020 5:26 am    

I have noticed that the count on this thread seems to go up by unusual numbers at times recently.

Maybe the count is ok, or could there be a software glitch or hacker?

I hope bOb and Brad will monitor for any problems. Hopefully there are no problems.

Many members have made excellent posts and I hope the thread can continue.

Friend to all,

C. E. Jackson Smile

A6 tuning for steels

Last edited by C. E. Jackson on 13 Jan 2021 11:23 am; edited 4 times in total

Eugene Cole

near Washington Grove, MD, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2020 3:41 pm    

I have no idea about street prices these days; my guess is that most of you have a better idea than I do about what the fair market value is on them. Until about a month ago I was down to 1 electric lap steel; but I now have second lap steel; albeit a project guitar which is in need of a few parts. Given my proportions the project guitar is actually closer to being a “table steel” than it is to being a lap steel. Because players seem to prefer Fender’s to Gibson’s my project guitar may well be worth more $$ than my current player. Whatever the case; my heart is with the Gibson.

My old Gibson Console Grande D7/8 has been my go-to lap steel for many years. It is a late-production first generation Console Grande from around 1940. Their was a second generation version of these guitars which are different in countless ways and which I am not very familiar with.

Photo 1:

Photo 2:

My project guitar is Fender Custom quad neck with modifications. Some of the tuners re not working so I need to order at least a couple of tuning pans from Fender to get all of the necks playable. And I need 2 legs to replace the missing ones. It is an odd duck; but with exception of the tuners everything works as it should.

Photo 3:

Photo 4:

PixEnBar.com
Cole-Luthierie.com
FJ45.com

Sierra U14 8+5 my copedent, 1972 MSA D10 8+4, and nothing in the Bank. 8^)

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2020 2:13 pm     Too hard to decide!

I’m not sure which one I’d consider my most valuable. Would have to be one of these four though. Probably the Rick...?

https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database

C. E. Jackson

Post  Posted 14 Dec 2020 11:08 am    

Eugene Cole wrote:
I have no idea about street prices these days; my guess is that most of you have a better idea than I do about what the fair market value is on them. Until about a month ago I was down to 1 electric lap steel; but I now have second lap steel; albeit a project guitar which is in need of a few parts. Given my proportions the project guitar is actually closer to being a “table steel” than it is to being a lap steel. Because players seem to prefer Fender’s to Gibson’s my project guitar may well be worth more $$ than my current player. Whatever the case; my heart is with the Gibson.

My old Gibson Console Grande D7/8 has been my go-to lap steel for many years. It is a late-production first generation Console Grande from around 1940. Their was a second generation version of these guitars which are different in countless ways and which I am not very familiar with.

Photo 1:

Photo 2:

My project guitar is Fender Custom quad neck with modifications. Some of the tuners re not working so I need to order at least a couple of tuning pans from Fender to get all of the necks playable. And I need 2 legs to replace the missing ones. It is an odd duck; but with exception of the tuners everything works as it should.

Photo 3:

Photo 4:

Eugene, thanks for the photos and comments. The Console Grande with Hyblum plates, I like very much. When you finish the Fender Quad, please post photos.

Here is my Console Grande with Hyblum plates:

Gibson shipped the first Gibson Console Grande with Hyblum plates in December, 1939. The Hyblum plates extend from the bridge, under the fret-board, and terminate at the nut. Gibson stated that Hyblum plates are for improved tone quality and sustaining power. Some of my favorite details are the pre-war metal plaque, the U-magnet pickups, the V-end bound rosewood fret-board, and Bakelite black and brown knobs. Hyblum plate inserts were also used on the EH-185 and EH-275 models.

The tone quality and sustaining power are excellent. Even with some cosmetic wear, I enjoy playing this historic instrument (and it's heavy). I currently have the 7 string neck tuned to A6, and the 8 string neck tuned to the Don Helms E6.

C. E. Jackson Smile

Allan Revich wrote:
I’m not sure which one I’d consider my most valuable. Would have to be one of these four though. Probably the Rick...?

Allan, thanks for the photo and comment. I have a Gibson and a 7 string Rick. I, like you, really like my Rick.

C. E. Jackson Smile

Thanks to all for posting photos and comments to this thread (TREASURE CHEST AS NAMED BY GEORGE PIBURN).

Friend to all,

C. E. Jackson Very Happy

A6 tuning for steels

C. E. Jackson

Post  Posted 2 Feb 2021 7:56 am    

I just received my copy of VINTAGE GUITAR PRICE GUIDE 2021,
a price guide I have been purchasing for 21 years. There are no
STEELS AND LAPS listed in this issue. When I called the magazine
publisher, I was told that the publisher is rotating STEELS AND
LAPS out of the guide.

Maybe we are playing an instrument that is of interest to only a
small and smaller number of people?

If anyone wants to complain to the publisher the number is
701-255-1197.

I love Steel Guitar music and hope it will be with us for a long time.
Not planning to get rid of my collection.

What do other members think?

Friend to all,

C. E. Jackson
Very Happy
A6 tuning for steels

William Gallagher

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2021 9:08 am    

Not my most valuable but it's cute...

Charles Stange

San Francisco, California
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2021 10:59 am     My '27' National Tricone Square Neck

Found in the basement of a damp old building about 15 years ago with only 1 string attached, hence the patina. I had it 'set up' and it's been a joy ever since. Serial No. 217 (neck stamp and penciled in on the inside)
The engravings on the side of the neck have alway been of interest to me but I have yet to make any connection to them. Please have look.

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2021 11:33 pm    

What’s that saying? “The only constant is change.”?

Anyway, since last posting here, a new vintage 1930s Gibson EH100-7 has joined the family, further complicating my decision as to my “most valuable”.

The little Champ isn’t one of my most valuable, but he photobombed the picture, and I do love the little fellow.
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database

C. E. Jackson

Post  Posted 15 Feb 2021 10:02 am    

William Gallagher wrote:
Not my most valuable but it's cute...

William, thanks for the photo and comment.
A very nice looking steel.

C. E. Jackson Smile

A6 tuning for steels

C. E. Jackson

Post  Posted 15 Feb 2021 10:12 am     Re: My '27' National Tricone Square Neck

Charles Stange wrote:
Found in the basement of a damp old building about 15 years ago with only 1 string attached, hence the patina. I had it 'set up' and it's been a joy ever since. Serial No. 217 (neck stamp and penciled in on the inside)
The engravings on the side of the neck have alway been of interest to me but I have yet to make any connection to them. Please have look.

Charles, I don't recall seeing one of these before.
Could be valuable? Let us know if you determine the
value.

C. E. Jackson Smile

A6 tuning for steels