Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My Most Valuable Lap Steel. Please Share Yours
C. E. Jackson

Post  Posted 23 Sep 2019 4:58 am    

Dennis Brion wrote:
Here is mine 1941 Gibson 125 EH

Dennis, those Gibson EH-125s having Metal Covered Pickup With Rectangular
Housing are really great sounding steels!
That is a beautiful steel. You can see full
specs on p.68 of Duchossoir's Book.

I don't have a 7 string, but have a 6 string. You can see full specs on p.71 of Duchossoir's
Book. Inlays on our headstocks are different. The hole in my headstock was caused by the
previous owner installing a pedal on one string, which I removed. These Gibson steels
have the same metal covered pickup as my 1949 Silvertone. They are great players.

GIBSON EH-150 (v.5): c. 1940

C. E. Jackson Smile
A6 tuning for steels

Dennis Brion

Atwater, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2019 5:43 am    

Thanks C.E. this was my dad's first steel I had Rick Troyer fix the Jack on it, other than that it's almost perfect. I am still learning on his custom D10 he built so haven't even tried the c6 tuning yet...lol

Dennis Brion

Atwater, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2019 12:26 pm     1941 Gibson

C. E. Here are some more photos couldn't get them to load on pm

C. E. Jackson

Post  Posted 23 Sep 2019 2:12 pm     Re: 1941 Gibson

Dennis Brion wrote:

C. E. Here are some more photos couldn't get them to load on pm

A beautiful steel. Thanks for the photos. Yours has the crown inlay on the peg-head and mine has fleur-de-lis on the
peg-head. Also, a little difference in the top and bottom binding and the knobs. Otherwise, they are practically identical.
The pickups and sound should be identical. The main value of yours is sentiment since it was your dad's first
steel. A great steel you should never sell.

C. E. Smile
A6 tuning for steels

C. E. Jackson

Post  Posted 24 Sep 2019 8:45 am    

Terry VunCannon wrote:
I think that number may have gone up C.E. I ADMIN a facebook lap steel site, and it has over 6,500 members. And it is only lap steel theme, and I can't imagine that we have reached a fraction of the players. Of, course the site is world wide.

Terry, thanks for the information from your facebook lap steel site. Since it is only lap steel theme, I would agree that the number of
steel players worldwide is probably increasing. That gives current players positive hope.

C. E. Jackson Smile
A6 tuning for steels

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2019 9:09 am    

Not sure if this is valuable or not, but it is cool and sounds fantastic. My 1939 Slingerland Songster Squarneck. Made in Chicago. Solid maple body (it feels like a hefty little baby Les Paul). It is hardwired with the original cord and pickup, which never ceases to amaze me at how they could build a pickup that sounds so good in 1939, which is close to the time when electric guitars were born.

C. E. Jackson

Post  Posted 25 Sep 2019 6:36 am    

Brooks Montgomery wrote:

Not sure if this is valuable or not, but it is cool and sounds fantastic. My 1939 Slingerland Songster Squarneck. Made in Chicago. Solid maple body (it feels like a hefty little baby Les Paul). It is hardwired with the original cord and pickup, which never ceases to amaze me at how they could build a pickup that sounds so good in 1939, which is close to the time when electric guitars were born.

Brooks, thanks for the photo and comments regarding this historically famous steel. I once looked at one in Gruhn Guitars, but can't remember if I played it or not. George had it on the 2nd floor of his business and it was not for sale. I was certainly impressed by quality of construction, and more impressed after later doing research regarding the steel. The Slingerland company is mentioned in several books, including Gruhn's Guide to Vintage Guitars, Tom Wheeler's American Guitars An Illustrated History, and the current Vintage Guitar Price Guide. Also, quite a bit of information and photos on the internet, and old posts on the Forum. Current prices appear to be reasonable. A steel you should certainly be proud to own. Are additional detail photos possible?

C. E. Jackson Smile
A6 tuning for steels

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2019 6:52 am    

C.E., I’ll take some of the old original case. It’s still functional, which is amazing for its age. I wonder how they made those cases back then? Here’s one of it hanging on my guitar wall.

Fred Kinbom

Berlin, Germany, via Stockholm, Sweden.
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2019 10:27 am    

Brooks Montgomery wrote:
[...]never ceases to amaze me at how they could build a pickup that sounds so good in 1939, which is close to the time when electric guitars were born.

My thoughts exactly about my 1939 Vega "humbucker"! It's fascinating to think about the early pickups and how so many designers hit the bulls eye back then.

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2019 11:31 am    

Here’s the guitar in its original (and well-worn) case

Kris Youngsteadt

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2019 3:59 am    

This is all I have in the lap steel department. I'm new to the instrument. I've been playing guitar for many years, and Larkin Poe pushed my interest in lap steel over the edge, since I could not quite get the slide sound I wanted with bottle neck slide. When I heard Larkin Poe I thought how do they get that cool slide sound? Found out it was lap steel and here I am.

C. E. Jackson

Post  Posted 26 Sep 2019 6:06 am    

Brooks Montgomery wrote:
C.E., I’ll take some of the old original case. It’s still functional, which is amazing for its age. I wonder how they made those cases back then? Here’s one of it hanging on my guitar wall.

Brooks Montgomery wrote:
Here’s the guitar in its original (and well-worn) case

Brooks, thanks for the photos. That steel is one to be proud to own. The steel and case look to be in great shape. Photos I have seen of those pickups show horseshoe magnets, which usually sound pleasing. I have several Gretsch steels, and the cases are all in excellent shape (I also like the sounds of early Gretsch steels). Some of the cases for earlier make steels did not hold up very well.

C. E. Jackson Smile
A6 tuning for steels

Lee D Kaiser

California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2019 7:22 pm    

I don't post here too often, but I read threads now and then. This one caught my interest.

The title of the thread said 'most valuable' and not just 'valuable' so I thought mine qualified.

It's a ~1960 Rickenbacker Electro Model J6. I know it's a student model, but I like it. Kind of rare, from what I can tell.

Kris Youngsteadt

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2019 4:05 am    

Lee D Kaiser wrote:
I don't post here too often, but I read threads now and then. This one caught my interest.

The title of the thread said 'most valuable' and not just 'valuable' so I thought mine qualified.

It's a ~1960 Rickenbacker Electro Model J6. I know it's a student model, but I like it. Kind of rare, from what I can tell.

Hi Lee,

That's a pretty cool Rick. I have not seen that model before. Thanks for posting.

C. E. Jackson

Post  Posted 27 Sep 2019 10:58 am    

Fred Kinbom wrote:
Brooks Montgomery wrote:
[...]never ceases to amaze me at how they could build a pickup that sounds so good in 1939, which is close to the time when electric guitars were born.

My thoughts exactly about my 1939 Vega "humbucker"! It's fascinating to think about the early pickups and how so many designers hit the bulls eye back then.

Fred, a great comment. I agree regarding some of the early pickups. I have several vintage steels from 1935 to early 1940s that sound as good, or better to me, than some of the higher price fairly new steels. I would say the particular sound which a person likes depends on the person.

C. E. Jackson Smile
A6 tuning for steels

Last edited by C. E. Jackson on 27 Sep 2019 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total

C. E. Jackson

Post  Posted 27 Sep 2019 11:11 am    

Kris Youngsteadt wrote:
This is all I have in the lap steel department. I'm new to the instrument. I've been playing guitar for many years, and Larkin Poe pushed my interest in lap steel over the edge, since I could not quite get the slide sound I wanted with bottle neck slide. When I heard Larkin Poe I thought how do they get that cool slide sound? Found out it was lap steel and here I am.

Kris, thanks for the comment. Glad you decided to play lap steel. The little steel you selected will give you a learning start, and you can always update to a different steel later, if you wish.

C. E. Jackson Smile
A6 tuning for steels

Kris Youngsteadt

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2019 11:24 am    

[quote="Kris, thanks for the comment. Glad you decided to play lap steel. The little steel you selected will give you a learning start, and you can always update to a different steel later, if you wish.[/quote]

C.E. Than you for the reply. I am really enjoying learning to play the lap steel. I've been spending a whole lot less time playing the guitar, since there is so much new to learn on the lap steel. It seems to be coming fairly quickly though which is rewarding and fun.

C. E. Jackson

Post  Posted 28 Sep 2019 5:11 am    

Lee D Kaiser wrote:

Thanks for posting the photo and comments Lee. I can't ever remember seeing or playing a Rickenbacker Electro
J-6, but hope to have the opportunity. Several features I like are the peghead cover, upright tuners, the horseshoe
pickup, strings anchoring through the body, controls on the end of the body, color, and compact design.

C. E. Jackson Smile
A6 tuning for steels

Barney Roach

California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2019 6:40 pm    

My favorite and most valuable is my EH-185.

My EH-185 was selected for the STEEL Section beginning
photo for the 2020 Vintage Guitar Price Guide. Jazzed!

We discussed it in depth when I posted the video
of Joe Bonamassa playing it:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=340354&sid=e5f4e2c371ec953a8657463706dd9ab4

Lee D Kaiser

California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2019 7:17 pm    

C. E. Jackson wrote:

Thanks for posting the photo and comments Lee. I can't ever remember seeing or playing a Rickenbacker Electro
J-6, but hope to have the opportunity...

If you're ever near Redwood City, CA, let me know. It would be great to have someone with talent play this thing.

Lee

Lee Holliday

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2019 2:45 am    

I have been reading the various posts and it has made me think is it monetary value or does sentiment and playability influence which one you would reach for if the house were on fire??? I will post in a day or so to illustrate the decision I am coming to.
Lee

Michael Deering

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2019 7:02 am     fire

LOL....Fire??? Remember we have 2 hands!

Last edited by Michael Deering on 30 Sep 2019 6:35 am; edited 1 time in total

Michael Deering

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2019 7:02 am     fire

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2019 3:59 pm     Rabbit Hole :lol:

Wow-- thanks so much C.E. and Lynn (stunning story!!!). And C.E., you should know that you inspired me to pick up steel guitar after seeing a YouTube video of your gorgeous lap steel collection. I was so fascinated, I bought my first steel (an Airline Rocket). and started learning how to play. Since then, I've bought, sold, and played dozens and dozens of steels. What a delightful rabbit-hole!

My favorite lap steel I was fortunate enough to own is this Rick B7 below (I nicknamed her "The Red-eyed Panda). Last year, I had to move and things got pretty lean. I DID NOT want to sell this guitar, but when Bobby Ingano approached me with a generous offer, saying he'd been looking for this guitar for a long time, I agreed to pass it on to him. It's Bobby's Red-eyed Panda now, and I'm sure he's playing the heck out of it. The fact that he owns it takes some of the sting away--what a great player.

Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.

C. E. Jackson

Post  Posted 30 Sep 2019 5:04 am    

Barney Roach wrote:
My favorite and most valuable is my EH-185.

My EH-185 was selected for the STEEL Section beginning
photo for the 2020 Vintage Guitar Price Guide. Jazzed!

We discussed it in depth when I posted the video
of Joe Bonamassa playing it:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=340354&sid=e5f4e2c371ec953a8657463706dd9ab4

Congratulations Barney. Quite an honor to have your steel featured as beginning photo for the
2020 Vintage Guitar Price Guide.

Greatest sentiment and memories will always be with my first Silvertone steel shown at the beginning of this
post. However, my collection of Gibson EH-185(s) with C.C. pickups, and ES-300(s) pickups are definitely
keepers for me. I have 14 of the EH-185 models (6,7,8,10 string), so you can see how much I like them.

C. E. Jackson Smile

Lee D Kaiser wrote:
C. E. Jackson wrote:

J-6, but hope to have the opportunity...

If you're ever near Redwood City, CA, let me know. It would be great to have someone with talent play this thing.

Lee

Thanks for the invitation Lee. I will certainly try to get in touch, if in that area.

C. E. Jackson Smile

Lee Holliday wrote:
I have been reading the various posts and it has made me think is it monetary value or does sentiment and playability influence which one you would reach for if the house were on fire??? I will post in a day or so to illustrate the decision I am coming to.
Lee

Looking forward to your post Lee.

C. E. Jackson Smile

Michael Deering wrote:

Good question Michael. Hmmmmm--Which 2 would I choose?

C. E. Jackson Smile

Mark Helm wrote:
Wow-- thanks so much C.E. and Lynn (stunning story!!!). And C.E., you should know that you inspired me to pick up steel guitar after seeing a YouTube video of your gorgeous lap steel collection. I was so fascinated, I bought my first steel (an Airline Rocket). and started learning how to play. Since then, I've bought, sold, and played dozens and dozens of steels. What a delightful rabbit-hole!

My favorite lap steel I was fortunate enough to own is this Rick B7 below (I nicknamed her "The Red-eyed Panda). Last year, I had to move and things got pretty lean. I DID NOT want to sell this guitar, but when Bobby Ingano approached me with a generous offer, saying he'd been looking for this guitar for a long time, I agreed to pass it on to him. It's Bobby's Red-eyed Panda now, and I'm sure he's playing the heck out of it. The fact that he owns it takes some of the sting away--what a great player.

Thanks for the comment Mark. Glad you enjoyed my collection and that it had a positive influence on you.

C. E. Jackson Smile
A6 tuning for steels