The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  50's Fender Triple
Jim Williams

Meridian, Mississippi, USA - Home of Peavey!
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2014 7:54 am    

This one is a triple neck. Not sure if it is Deluxe or not. It is far from mint condition. The main thing that worries me is the chunk of wood missing in the attached photo. The guys price is ok but I'm afraid time you got through with the re-chroming and restoration, it would wind up being as much as one in good condition?

Of course I guess another option is to buy it, clean it up as much as possible and play it. I doubt I will sink the money into this as I really want a fender to play and would be just as happy with a double in better shape. If any of you are interested, drop me a pm and I'll send you a link to it if I decide not to get it. I have a soft spot for these things and would love to see someone restore it.

Last edited by Jim Williams on 12 Nov 2014 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2014 8:11 am    

It's a Fender Custom, not a Stringmaster. These were made prior to the Stringmasters (early 1950s). One of the pickups is not original to the guitar. It looks pretty rough. If this is the one you inquired about in another thread, no I wouldn't pay $1000 for it. I think about $700 (or less) would be more reasonable, assuming that everything works okay, the electronics and the tuners.

Jim Williams

Post  Posted 7 Nov 2014 8:30 am     Stringmaster

Yes it is Doug, thought I had put it over there...Thanks.

Scott Thomas

Post  Posted 7 Nov 2014 8:45 am    

One of those pickups is what we call a "boxcar". It was used on the earliest guitars in this line, and was replaced by the "trapezoid" type like the other two necks have. I have seen the two kinds mixed on the same guitar a couple of times. Original or not, I don't know for sure. (Rick Aiello has one of them...a "Dual" model.) I've never seen that on a Custom, though, but I wouldn't put it past Fender to use parts that way.

I think Doug is spot-on with his advise and value.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2014 9:19 am    

It's interesting to hear that Fender may have used different styles of pickups on the same guitar. I've never seen that before, but I guess it's possible. A lot of Fenders have transitional features, from one model to the next. They used up all parts on hand.

Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 7 Nov 2014 10:13 am    

I think it looks pretty sweet. That missing wood is probably from leg or something in the case rubbing on it. The things to check carefully on these is that the tuners hold (stripped gears are common with the "lollipop" tuners) and that the pickups aren't "imploding" (can be fixed well but it's pricey). Price is a bit steep but I bet it sounds great. The only restoration I'd do would be to clean it up, that finish is beautiful.

George Piburn

The Land of Enchantment New Mexico
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2014 10:52 am     String Master

Bob Stone is selling a triple String Master in nearly pristine condition.

Why put your self through all of the Hoops when a good one is waiting for you?

It will help him and the Forum too. Very Happy

Bill Quinn

Post  Posted 7 Nov 2014 2:32 pm    

From all the rust on the chrome parts I would expect alot of electrical isues and would test it thoroughly and agree the price is too high for the general condition.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2014 3:09 pm    

I too like the finish. It's the result of years of bar room smoke and nicotine. You can't BUY a finish like that! Back in the 1970s I played a house gig seven nights a week for five years solid. I left my steel guitar set up on the stage (with all the other gear) for the entire five years. Back then the smoke in clubs was so thick you could cut it with a knife. When the gig ended I took my gear home and everything was stained and filthy. I had Tommy Cass rebuild my guitar and he said it was the most worn and nicotine stained guitar he had ever seen. Anyway, this Custom reminds me of that. I'll bet if that guitar could talk it would tell some wicked stories!

Bud Angelotti

Larryville, NJ, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2014 5:15 pm    

That steel has termites!

Bob Gibler

Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2014 9:22 am    

Honestly I wouldn't pay more than $500.00 for it. Just from the description and your pic's it would take me about $650-$700 and a lot of elbow grease to get it back into pristine condition. That said, If you want to restore it. You might need to make another neck to replace the damaged one. Also are all three pickups Original to the Steel? Just a thought Cool

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2014 10:42 am    

I realize that Fender liked to use up old parts but I doubt that they would put different style pickups on this guitar.

Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 11 Nov 2014 6:20 am    

That is pretty wierd, the two types of PU's. I've never seen that but if it's a really early one, it's not out of the realm of possibility.
I know I'll get flames for saying it but I just don't understand the "make it look brand new" mentality that so many steel players have. If everyhing works, just clean it up as best you can and use it. It's probably over 60 years old. I think polishing-refinishing-replating etc. would be a crime and it sure wouldn't make it sound any better.
No where did I put my flame retardent suit?

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2014 8:29 am    

No flames from me, Cartwright. I don't think it would be a crime to refinish/replate it, just a poor investment. If it could be had in the $700 range to someone needing a triple neck, I think I'd just replace the rusty screws and clean up the legs. I love the rode hard look but that's you and me.

I have a 69 Alfa Romeo sedan that looks like hell and is probably worth less than 1/10 of a restored one but drives and handles just as good as the ones that only get driven off the trailer. A previous owner installed a moon roof so it will never be worth doing a full restoration but I plan to enjoy driving it till they take away my license.

Someone just needs to buy this guitar and DRIVE it!

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2014 8:42 am    

No flames here either, Carty. I like instruments with "character". Every ding and cigarette burn tells a story.

Jim Williams

Post  Posted 11 Nov 2014 2:44 pm    

Well the guy wouldn't negotiate at all, so I wished him luck and left it.

Harry McIlwain

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2014 7:14 am    

Jim if you would be interested in this Dual Pro, I live just down the road from you in Waynesboro. You would be welcome to come down and try it out. It has
been refinished and I had one pickup rewound about six months ago. Tuners in good shape. If you want it and pick it up, I will take $975.00. I will send phone # and address in PM if interested.

Jim Williams

Post  Posted 12 Nov 2014 8:04 am    

I sent you a pm, but yes I certainly would like to take a look at it. I live about 10 miles south of Meridian off Hwy 145 so I'm not far at all from you. Please put me at the top of the list if you start getting other inquiries. What tunings do you currently have on it?

Harry McIlwain

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2014 9:08 am    

Open E on outside neck and Open G (six string ) on inside neck.

Michael Brose

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2014 12:44 pm    

Hey you Mississippi guys! I live in NE MS (Corinth) and have noooo one here remotely interested in lap steels.. We should get some folks together to eventually have a swap meet and maybe some music Smile Mississippi Steel Mafia.. hah! I like old country and rockabilly, hillbilly music. I have a 73 Sho Bud S10 3f/5k I'm lookin to trade for a double or triple 8 Fender or Gibson. One of the fellas on here has a Double 8 Rick that looks like the Fenders, not the boxy one, he said he was interested in tradin but I havent heard a peep from him in months. Keep me in mind. Good lookin guitars you have there.

Jim Williams

Post  Posted 18 Nov 2014 12:50 pm    

Hi Michael, Yes I think that would be a fun thing to do or if nothing else pick a central location and get together for a social meeting / jam and go out and eat or something. I don't know of anyone else here that actually plays, but I have a couple of friends who have lap steels and some interest in them.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2014 5:30 pm    

Cartwright Thompson wrote:
I just don't understand the "make it look brand new" mentality that so many steel players have. If everyhing works, just clean it up as best you can and use it.

Totally agree. Love the patina and the vibe of a well-broken in vintage instrument.

Jim Williams

Post  Posted 19 Nov 2014 7:34 am    

I don't know if I would make it look like new, don't so much mind the wood problems but I don't care for rusted up mechanics and non original pickup. I have several vintage instruments, my old '37 gibson looks like its been drug behind a car, but plays fine, and the old guyatone certainly has its share of battle scars. However the guy won't negotiate to a reasonable price for the guitar so it is irrelevant anyway at this point.