The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Buddy Charleton. . . What a talent !
Craig Baker

Eatonton, Georgia, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2013 7:26 pm    

If you never saw the Troubadours live, you can't know how "together" Buddy Charleton and Leon Rhodes were. . . all the time. Somebody told me once that Buddy got arrested and Leon was in the next cell. I'm not sure about that. Never get tired of their music, and I thought it would be interesting to hear them play without a vocalist out in front. Here are clips of well-known Troubadour songs. Each clip contains the original released version of the tune, followed by the same cut with the vocal removed. It's pure Buddy and Leon.

What a band !

Oklahoma Hills: http://picosong.com/RNtK

San Antonio Rose: http://picosong.com/RNtd

Walking The Floor: http://picosong.com/RND5

Pass The Booze: http://picosong.com/RKqx

Be Better To Your Baby: http://picosong.com/RtZa

There She Goes: http://picosong.com/Ra8M

I Almost Lost My Mind: http://picosong.com/Rahq

I'll Have Another Cup of Coffee: http://picosong.com/q6QF

An Old Faded Photograph: http://picosong.com/qxND/

How Can I Be Sure: http://picosong.com/qxKy/

Your thoughts?

Sincerely,
Craig Baker 706-485-8792

cmbakerelectronics@gmail.com

C.M. Baker Electronics
P.O. Box 3965
Eatonton, GA 31024

Last edited by Craig Baker on 13 Dec 2013 6:31 pm; edited 8 times in total

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2013 7:55 pm    

Wow ! Thanks

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2013 8:12 pm    

I like the music that the Texas Troubadors had.I think their song Cool It was a good one but none of it was bad.I know there is atleast one collection of their music about 36 songs I think and its a good one.I say the Texas Troubadors were one of the best bands ever.They always had some awesome steel players but those Buddy Charleton years are my favorites but its all some good stuff.

Craig Baker

Post  Posted 26 Jul 2013 8:12 pm    

You bet Bob! Can you imagine what it must have been like surrounded with that kind of talent. I was hoping I wasn't the only Troubadour fan left. Glad you enjoyed it Bob,

Sincerely,
Craig Baker 706-485-8792

C.M. Baker Electronics
P.O. Box 3965
Eatonton, GA 31024

Craig Baker

Post  Posted 26 Jul 2013 8:16 pm    

I'm with you Daniel. Never heard a bad Troubadour song. As I've said in another post. I'm such a devoted Charleton fan, I'm still trying to figure out some of his mistakes so I can use here and there!

Sincerely,
Craig Baker 706-485-8792

C.M. Baker Electronics
P.O. Box 3965
Eatonton, GA 31024

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2013 9:25 pm    

I saw them many times but my favorite Troubadour memory was seeing them, on a Sunday afternoon in Raleigh. I got there early and got on the front row right in front of Buddy. The band was already set up and no one was on stage. When showtime came, they walked out on stage. There was no fumbling with amps, no tuning, just silence. Jack Greene counted off and they launched into "Rhodes Bud Boogie at hyperspeed. I've never seen a band as tight.

Craig Baker

Post  Posted 26 Jul 2013 10:04 pm    

Clyde,
I know the exact front row seat you mean. If they were within 200 miles, I was in that seat stalking Buddy. In fact I'm sure that Buddy Charleton is the only steel player who has seen Ernest Tubb sing more often than I have.

Always nice to meet a kindred spirit out there

Sincerely,
Craig Baker 706-485-8792

C.M. Baker Electronics
P.O. Box 3965
Eatonton, GA 31024

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2013 3:23 am    

There is a DVD available containing a few episodes of the 'Ernest Tubb Show' from the '60's featuring Buddy and Leon (one or two featured a guy named Steve on guitar,who went on to work with Porter Wagoner I believe).. I have viewed it several times and never tire of watching the way Buddy and Leon worked togeteher, like a well oiled machine. Available from the Ernest Tubb Record Shop....FYI: Also a chance to see a clean shaven, short haired Willy Nelson dressed in a turtleneck and sport coat!

Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 27 Jul 2013 5:23 am    

awesome Craig! The thing I love about the Troubadours twin attack is the way Leon and the Buddy didn't crowd each other. But when they came together , they sounded like a complete string section. They way they blended that sound is truly from another era. I know the trend these days is complete instrument separation in a well defined stereo field, but part of the magic of those old recordings is the blend in the room, the way the sound weaved together creating ghost frequencies and the extra vibration when harmonics are naturally compressed in physical space and on tape.

Thanks as always Craig, your Troubadour resource #1 in my book,and a good pal.

-Dan

Last edited by Daniel Policarpo on 27 Jul 2013 7:19 am; edited 1 time in total

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2013 5:39 am    

Thanks, Craig. I'm enjoying this a lot. I love how some of the things behind the vocalist are barely even audible 'til you remove the vocals. Meaning that while it does create some action that adds to the overall sound, it is also to some extent just to amuse themselves with stuff that nobody except someone listening VERY closely is even going to notice.

Craig Baker

Post  Posted 27 Jul 2013 5:42 am    

David,
You have great taste in music. I purchased that DVD while it was still warm. Also, there is a VHS available with different songs, All ET, but with Leon and Buddy. Steve Chapman stayed for a while, then on to Bill Anderson, Porter, etc. The music wasn't the same. That's the difference between a job and a passion. When Jack Mollette joined the band in '70, we were back on track. Jack has the passion, and still to this day, greatly admires Leon.

Charleton was unique among steel players in that he went to Nashville, worked one job with one band then went home. It's as if the Lord put Buddy and Leon on the Earth and made sure they'd meet. . . just for us.

In a couple of ways, the DVD was an eye-opener for me. It brought to mind once again, that you don't need special effects, a laser show, smoke machines. Just talent ! That's all the show had to offer. Watch Wade Ray. He couldn't hide the fact that he loved people and loved entertaining them. With all of the equipment on the market today, the only effect Leon Rhodes ever used. . . was his pick!

Thanks for you post David.

Best regards,
Craig Baker 706-485-8792

C.M. Baker Electronics
P.O. Box 3965
Eatonton, GA 31024

Craig Baker

Post  Posted 27 Jul 2013 5:47 am    

Jon,
You're right on target. I think Charleton used to sit on the edge of the bed and say to himself: "let's see. . . what turn-around can I baffle 'em with tommorrow?" and grinned the whole time.

I'll have to look and see what other songs can become "instrumentals"

Thanks Jon,

Best regards,
Craig Baker 706-485-8792

C.M. Baker Electronics
P.O. Box 3965
Eatonton, GA 31024

Roger Kelly

Bristol,Tennessee
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2013 8:23 am    

Great post Craig...for my money The Texas Troubadores with Buddy Emmons and later Buddy Charleton along with Leon Rhodes was a great combination of Talent in the Country Music world. As far as I am concerned, one of the BEST Country Bands ever assembled. There are so many tunes Buddy and Leon did it is hard for me to pick just one, but if I had to this is what it would be....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2clnupftBks

Thanks again for posting about one of Country Music's best Bands.

Roual Ranes

Atlanta, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2013 8:39 am    

What Roger said.

Craig Baker

Post  Posted 27 Jul 2013 9:11 am    

Rger and Roual,
Thanks guys. It's good to know I'm not all alone out here in my taste for talent. Steel Guitar Rag, unquestionably the best arrangement. A friend of Leon's back in Dallas put together that arrangement. Who could have played it better, and the vocal is already removed.

One Saturday in 1968, at the Philadelphia Navy Yard, I watched 14 year-old Gary Carter and his older sister, Cheryl on a 335 duplicate the arrangement note for note. Talk about being blown away. So help me, "The Carter Kids" sounded just like Leon and Buddy. Same thing on Panhandle Rag.

Thanks guys for keeping the interest in great music going forward.

Craig Baker

706-485-8792

C.M. Baker Electronics
P.O. Box 3965
Eatonton, GA 31024

Tom Moorman

Decatur, GA USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2013 10:06 am    

When I saw ET and the Texas Troubadores later in the early 80s, Lynn Owsley and Pete Mitchell were the guitarists. The Troubadores played great with ET and wowed the audience during their set without ET.

Craig Baker

Post  Posted 27 Jul 2013 12:10 pm    

Tom, you were fortunate to see The Troubadours. It was an era in country music that came and went. ET always knew just what the audience wanted and gave it to them every time. He was one of the few that understood what the musicians in the audience wanted to hear also, and surrounded himself with the best. . . and then turned them loose and let them play for us.

Thanks for your post.

Respectfully,
Craig Baker 706-485-8792

C.M. Baker Electronics
P.O. Box 3965
Eatonton, GA 31024

Don Drummer

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2013 12:47 pm     The troobs

I saw them at Bean Blossom In. in 1973. I think that was the last of this particular grouping. Charlton had a Sho-Bud D-10 and a Christmas tree amp. I could be wrong about the year. Thanks, Craig.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2013 1:35 pm     Re: Buddy Charleton & Leon Rhodes. . . but where's Ernes

Craig Baker wrote:

Pass The Booze: http://picosong.com/RKqx

Your thoughts?

My thoughts? Well, personally, I'm continually amazed by how great Charleton played using only only the basic 3+1 on E9th for most of his career. So many players almost stutter when they're limited, pedal-wise, but it never seemed to bother him. Cool The great licks and expression seemed to just keep coming, and his playing on "Pass The Booze" was exemplary.

Craig Baker

Post  Posted 31 Jul 2013 1:43 pm     Charleton

Don,
That must have been near the end of Buddy's days on the road. I believe he retired around 73 or so. Wonder who was playing lead guitar by then?

Best regards,
Craig Baker 706-485-8792

C.M. Baker Electronics
P.O. Box 3965
Eatonton, GA 31024

Craig Baker

Post  Posted 31 Jul 2013 1:52 pm    

Hi Donny,
Isn't that the truth. The man never heard of a "Franklin" pedal. During those great recordings, he never raised his Es or did anything with his first or second strings, and yet, I never get enough of the music he made. I don't know if he could even tell you what chord he was playing, but for my money, nobody else had an ear like Charleton.

That's why I removed the vocals, The world doesn't know what it missed.

In fact, let me add "Be Better to your Baby", a great ET tune that shows off Buddy on both necks.

http://picosong.com/RtZa

Thanks for your words Donny,

Best regards,
Craig Baker 706-485-8792

C.M. Baker Electronics
P.O. Box 3965
Eatonton, GA 31024

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2013 6:17 pm     Re: Charleton

Craig Baker wrote:
Don,
That must have been near the end of Buddy's days on the road. I believe he retired around 73 or so. Wonder who was playing lead guitar by then?

Actually, "Pass The Booze" was 1964, and "Be Better to Your Baby" was 1965.

Steve Chapman was playing lead when Charleton left in '73.

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2013 7:03 pm    

I may be wrong but a while back On Larrys Country Diner they pointed out a guitarist was there that had played with the Troubadors and I think they said it was Steve Chapman.He was just in the audience I think

Craig Baker

Post  Posted 31 Jul 2013 9:04 pm     Leon~Steve~Jack~Pete

As I recall, Steve Chapman rode the "Green Hornet" in the mid to late 60s following Leon Rhodes exit. I believe Steve left to go with Bill Anderson around 69. Jack Mollete (closest sound to Leon) reminded me that Billy Byrd returned following Steve. Jack was a Troubadour by the summer of 70 and stayed for three years. Then, Bobby Davis came along. Eventually Pete Mitchell. Over on steel, Don Helms followed Buddy's departure, then Lynn Owsley joined. Jack Mollette confirmed that Ernest sang well over 300 songs and he had to learn the correct key and all 300 intros. (but only 4 endings. LOL)

Interesting background

Craig Baker

Post  Posted 4 Aug 2013 5:36 pm     New clips added

Bump for new clips