The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Changing a pickup without removing strings
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 28 May 2013 5:29 am    

I remember seeing this somewhere and it works just fine. Anyone tried this? It keeps pressure on the strings and mechanism and you loosen one string at a time and slide the 2-1/2 inch PVC pipe under the strings one at a time.

Pretty good idea and thanks to th person who came up with it.

Lenny

John Roche

England
Post  Posted 28 May 2013 5:32 am    

I had to do it yesterday, works great...

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2013 8:00 am    

Usually when changing a pickup it is a good time to change strings also. Whoa!

Sid Hudson

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2013 8:03 am    

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I'll have a drink!

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 28 May 2013 12:13 pm    

The first I saw of this method was in the kit that Telonics offered with their pickups.

If you are swapping pickups back and forth a lot, you might not need or want to change strings, or there might be other reasons to do it. This allows for a quick swap. 'Course you want to do the wire un-clamping and de-soldering work underneath first. Winking

Dave Beaty

Mesa, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2013 3:52 pm    

Len,
This method may have been used in the past at some point, but if so, I am unaware of it.

For us, it goes back to our very first pickup work. Stacy has always had a way of coming up with the most simple way to get things done in a short time. In this case, he was going to install a pickup in my old Sho-Bud Pro-I S-10. We had selected a clear tube in which to ship the pickups for protection, while being able to see them and read the labeling inside. He found that the springy nature of the tube was just right to deform under the pressure of the strings, allowing them to "ride" in place as you lessen or increase tension. The material was also clean and not apt to mar the surface of the guitar’s fret board. So this is what I saw Stacy doing:

We liked procedure so we added it to our pickup information manual and began shipping all our pickups in the tubes. The procedure can be found herein on pages 11 and 12:

http://www.tpa-az.com/downloads/Pickups_InstallationAnd%20Usage120611.pdf

Our only suggestion for people using other objects to block the strings up would be to make sure the article used is very clean, and to place a soft piece of cloth on the fretboard/neck to avoid scratching.

As Stacy always says, "Everything Matters!"

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2013 5:44 pm    

With the right guitar, you can change the pickup in about 5 seconds. MSA's rule. Smile
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 31 May 2013 6:55 am    

i know telonics stuff is fairly pricey. how much for the 'telonics' polymer tube separately? i don't think i could use pvc if telonics is available.

Fred Glave

McHenry, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2013 9:39 am    

Erv Niehaus wrote:
Usually when changing a pickup it is a good time to change strings also. Whoa!

It's kind of like taking a shower without getting undressed. Muttering

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2013 9:51 am    

Fred,
So right! Very Happy

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2018 9:09 am    

Woo-Hoo!... I found this thread!
I just restrung this Steel and started playing it again.
Then I saw a pickup that was a perfect fit, in the For-Sale setion.
I just received a Wallace TT 17.6 to replace the extremely treble-ee original pickup in my Sho-Bud Pro-1.
I hope to gett'er done today Smile
As I look around the house this morn... So far, I plan to use the thingee in the middle of a toilet paper roll.
Very Happy

[Edit]
I am halfway thru and the string-lifting method was very quick and worked great.
...Guess what... [don't laugh]...
I gotta run to the hardware store!
I either need 3, half-inch shorter screws, or, 3 approx an 1/8" shorter Spacers.
And of course I will check out all the 1/2"-ish compression Springs... There was just a piece of foam under there. Shocked Very Happy Rolling Eyes Winking

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2018 12:17 pm    

While you have the pickup off, why not install connectors underneath so that in the future no soldering will have to be done for faster pickup swap.

forrest klott

Grand Rapids Mi USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2018 2:33 pm    

Ron,

As in 1/4” quick connect terminals?? If so, that should take the idea of the year award!! I’m guessing you’ve done this with success?

Skeeter

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2018 6:02 pm    

Thanks Guys, Yes whe are thinking along the same lines...
My original Plan-A was to do a quick test using Alligator clips. I snipped the old pickup-wires leaving 1/4" of wire extending from the exisitng soldered Input Jack connectors (an Alligator clip attachment point, I even left some red and black casing on there).
I could see where the Gound wire was mounted, so I created a new solo Ground wire.
Right now she is humming along nicely with the 'Gator clips!... 'Running thru a Stereo Steel rig, sounds great!
I made few other observations and had a few other ideas along the way today, and will finalize the install soon.