The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Guitarist Magazine - Oahu?
Robert Allen

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2013 6:33 am    

While cleaning out some old books, I ran across 6 issues of The Guitarist Magazine dated 1937. Many of the photos are children playing lap steels and a large part of the articles and ads are by Oahu including an article entitled "Seventh Annual Convention of Oahu Teachers and Dealers". The covers have pictures of palm trees and Hula girls. The emphasis is on Hawaiian music but not exclusively the lap steel. The publisher is listed as "Guitar Publishing Company, Cleveland, Ohio". Does anyone know if this publication was owned by Oahu or was this the parent company of Oahu? Oahu Publishing was also in Cleveland, OH.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 21 May 2013 7:52 am    

"The Guitarist" was an Oahu Pub. Co. magazine that was sent to Oahu mail order students worldwide. It was mainly a promotional tool to keep the students interested in the instrument... and to keep them buying Oahu products, sheet music, guitars, amps, music stands, accessories, etc. There were a few interesting articles about guitar building, the history of Hawaii, etc, but mostly there were pictures of students and their guitars, store bands, competition winners, conventions, etc.

Robert Allen

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2013 3:33 pm    

Doug,

I see you already posted this information in another thread. It's not as easy to do searches on the SGF since they changed the search function several months ago. It now searches the entire web with a zillion results amongst the SGF listings. Pardon the duplication.