The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Starter pedal steel
Steven Laam

California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2013 10:45 am    

Hello: What is the difference between a Starter Pedal Steel, and a regular one? I am new at this, but really only want to purchase one and stay with it. Thanks, Steven...

Bob Eldridge

Bartlesville, OK USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2013 11:30 am    

A starter is a basic "student" model. Usually has 3 pedals and 1 (maybe 2) knee levers. They are USUALLY not upgradeable - that is you usually cannot add additional pedals or knees. But they're more than sufficient for beginning steel playing. Just know that IF you get good and want a better steel - that is, one with more flexibility, you're looking at another pretty expensive purchase. Hope that helps!

Ray Thomas

Goldsboro North Carolina
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2013 12:50 pm     Student Guitar

Steven, I have a GFI student model that I believe would fill your needs, has 3 pedals and 4 knee levers, send me a PM if interested and I will go into more detail and send pictures if desired.
Text rayssteel@gmail.com or email

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2013 1:03 pm     Student or Pro

Hi Steven,
There are several student models now that are quite good with all 4 needed knee levers. I think the Carter Starter and the GFI are a couple of those.
I see them here from time to time in the $400.00 to $600.00 range in good shape.
However that is only good if you only intend to play country style and a little of other styles and have no need for special tunings that you may like?

I'd avoid any with just one or two levers as those are kind of out of date now.
There are good things you can do with all four knee levers.

If at all possible try to get a Professional steel as it will give you a lot more usefulness in the future.
If you will be playing only country then you'd do well with a Single neck 10 string such as a D-10 or a DS-10.
If you plan to expand into Jazz, swing, pop and more then go for a Double neck D-10 or a Universal 12 String.
It is also much more easy to sell a pro model later if you plan an upgrade?

I often see well priced pro steels here for $1,000.00 to $1,800.00
Good luck,
Andy
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.