The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rusty Rhoads
Alex DePue

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2013 3:33 pm    

Hello, Steel Players!

I know many (if not most) of you and send you all my very best. I'm very, very interested... and the reason I joined here, is to find out if anyone can send me the ten pages of Rusty's rant. It appears as though those may have been Russ's last words as a member of this world.

I would like to have them as Rusty is one of the most talented players I have ever known. Ever. He is/was? ALSO one of my favorite people I have ever known.

If anyone has that document, please let me know at thefiddler@hotmail.com and folks, let's keep this in mind...

Some of the most talented people who have ever lived, have also been the most tortured souls. Just ask Danny Gatton. Ask Buddy himself. Jaco. The list goes on and on, friends. If only those men had an empathetic ear every now and then, maybe we would still be hearing them today.

Thank you,

-Alex DePue

Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2013 3:58 pm    

I always liked him but Rusty seemed to be mad at someone about all the time so I'm not sure which rant you mean. Heres a link to all his comments if you want to read through them.
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/search.php?search_author=Rusty+Rhoads

Alex DePue

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2013 4:05 pm    

I'm really not trying to "imply" anything. Here is the latest post seen quite clearly on Rusty's FB page. I, nor any of the other wonderful musicians who love the man, have heard a word from him since.

"I would like to take this opportunity to say i have had a very fun but yet disappointing life it has had more downs then ups so i would like to thank those who have been a friend most of my life and my enemy's well you know who you are ! I bid you all farewell and goodbye see you all in the next life ."

If indeed, the ten-page rant was his last statement to the world, all of these comments don't really satisfy the request. I'm looking for the ten-page rant mentioned by someone within the "Rusty Rhoads Saga" thread here at the SGF. I'm sure it was deleted and only hope someone saved it. -AD

Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2013 6:09 pm    

Sorry I couldn't help.

Alex DePue

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2013 6:12 pm    

I do appreciate the effort. Please, if anyone does hear from Russ, please let me know immediately. -AD

Steven Finley

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2013 6:24 pm    

A-h-hh-hh-hhh, how refreshing to read some of those Rusty postings again.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2013 7:28 pm    

I heard from Rusty about 2 months ago--he was asking me about Speedy West's tunings. I hope he's OK.

Alex DePue

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2013 9:00 pm    

Hey, All... thank you all for the prompt replies!

I did receive the infamous "rant" in question... thanx to Mike Neer. As I read, what I come to realize in print is a clearly experienced leader who does not shy away from his own opinions on matters. If he did that, he would no longer be the great Rusty Rhoads I have known so well for the last 20 years of my life.

I'd follow the man right off the edge of a cliff and enjoy every minute of it.

I've still heard nothing. Looks like people are trying to get Detroit law enforcement involved. Not fun for me. Let's just hope for the best... -AD

Alex DePue

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2013 9:12 pm    

An excerpt from an upcoming publication. Please don't share... it's a great "Rusty" story.

"I have been asked to describe both the dirtiest, raunchiest place I have ever played... all the way to the classiest place I have played. WOW, what an opportunity! hahahaha. Because the differences in life I have experienced thus far are vast. They are not normal... and I would never suggest to any of my students that they EVER follow in my footsteps regarding musical life and/or the path I chose to get where I am... but, do I have any regrets? That answer is no.

DIRTIEST. Three different scenarios come to mind.. #1) A small "hole-in-the wall" honky-tonk "Country" bar in South Detroit, Michigan. This gig was at a time in my life when I was deep within the throws of a newly found addiction, cocaine. This is an important factor because one would wonder how a player like me could ever "end up" in a place like this... and there IS a way. It's cocaine and/or any other drug (including alcohol) that one might choose to abuse. This was the kind of place people went to get so drunk that they cared not with whom they went home. When I say it was a dark hole in the wall club, I mean like... without light. Only the bright spotlights on the tiny stage illuminated the room. Even the bartender was doing his job with only a dusty old lamp dimly lit up next to the wine glasses. And, as far as small clubs go, it was also a full house. That night I was performing with John Galvin (keys-Molly Hatchet) and Rusty Rhoads (steel guitar). As the band (also had bass and drums) performed that night, it quickly became a musical experience I will never EVER forget.

John Galvin has been with (and still is) Molly Hatchet for decades. His playing and his sensitivity to his surroundings on stage are just plain unmatchable. Dynamics and artistry... hard-rockin' drive whenever necessary... and also just a great guy. Though we don't really keep in touch, I assure you that this night in Detroit was just as unforgettable for him! And Rusty Rhoads. Rusty is, simply put, one of the greatest steel guitarists alive. He's versatile as well, lending just as much talent to his other ax, electric guitar. Unfortunately, Rusty's only claim to fame is HIS story about how, of the two available steel guitarists in Detroit, MI at the time Dire Straits was hiring for the million dollar position (steel guitar) for their first world tour, Rusty auditioned... and they picked the OTHER guy... Paul Franklin. By the way, Rusty is also just a bit "off" if ya know what I mean... not 5150 insane, mind you, but you get the point. k? Yeah, I'm for-shadowing.

It was a hot, sweaty, drug induced, chopped-up-lines-back-stage closet snotted up off the back of Rusty's guitar, drunken, four-hour-long-sets. But the MUSIC. The music was unlike any experience I've ever had, even to date. Mostly, because I was truly "finding myself" at the time, both as a musician AND a person. So, my improv was fairly new. I was green, still... yet far enough along to facilitate the needs for any country band.. this one was different, however. We focused on instrumentals that night. Any singing was pretty brief. THIS band just wanted to play. ...and PLAY we did.

It was the kind of music only the Gods will ever know about. It was the kind of musical experience money just can't buy. It was a moment. Five guys who were in the game for the very reason (at that moment) that we, as musicians, only fantasize about ever having reason for... it was heaven-like. Ethereal. I was introduced to the tune, "Sleepwalk", that night as Rusty played the melody one time and then I took it over as John balanced the whole thing out on the piano... (I later recorded that tune on my first solo CD, "The Fiddler".) We did not understand or even give one care what was happening off that stage... totally immersed in the music. ...and then the club owner refused to pay us.

Hooooooooooooollllllllllly SHIT that was a bad business decision. We were finished with the night.. the band as happy as life can provide, packed up our stuff, fiddle on my back as Rusty approaches the owner for payment. I see the club owner shake his head and I heard voices increasing in tone... some flailing of the arms... then, without pause, I see Rusty grab the ENTIRE CASH REGISTER off the table and run out the door! Obviously, Rusty is now my new hero and the heat was ON. I follow and we all gathered around his car like a street gang of thugs, one with a flashlight, haha... and watched while also providing "look-out" as Rusty quite calmly extracted the exact dollar amount we were to be paid and hurriedly handed us each our cut... he then took out one more 50 and put it in his pocket... "and THIS is because I had to do this at all.", he said. We all agreed! High-fives and Rusty Rhoads for President!

The band could not even shake hands to say goodbye that night. We just literally "took the money and ran". I was riding WITH Rusty that night, so there was no running for me! I watched as he walked the cash register right back inside. He returned it with the hard-earned Detroit blue-collar cash still inside and we then went on our way."

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2013 12:23 am    

Thanks Alex, that is a precious look at real life in some folds of the universe, as the teachers say 'but for the grace of God...'

Colm Chomicky

Kansas, (Prairie Village)
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2013 5:18 am    

Hope Rusty is OK. From what I have heard, he is not a guy to mince his words. I get the impression if you are talking to Rusty, you are talking to Rusty. I still get a chuckle out of this one. I don't know Rusty other than having listened to him play at various steel shows, but this is a classic.

Dave A. Burley

Franklin, In. USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2013 5:23 am     Rusty Rhoades

Great story. Rusty speaks his mind. More people ought to although sometimes Rusty should add 'For Adults Only' in front of his posts. Yes, I like him and his playing. After all, I had worked with Julian Tharpe so Rusty sound's quite normal to me. Played a club in old Hebor City in Tampa back in te day. We had to play behind a chicken wire to protect our instruments from being stolen and our heads from being hit by beer bottles. Whewwwww...Dave
P.O. Box #211
Franklin, Ind. 46131

Buddy Emmons/Jimmy Bryant live $15.00 includes shipping.
It's The First Time(studio)$15.00 includes shipping.
Curley Chalker/Julian Tharpe live $15.00 includes shipping.
the Cavalcade Of Guitars live $16.00 includes shipping.
Pay by PayPal to: dab7875159@aol.com

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2013 7:55 am    

Rusty put this up here back then when....

Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2013 9:09 am    

I heard from Rusty a few weeks back. He was asking about replies to a posting he made here, I didn't know what he was talking about and didn't have time to find out.
He also mentioned burning down his pedal steel or crushing it..,,basically quitting.
Then within the last couple days I heard he was the tech traveling with the Sacred Steel show that Robert Randolph is promoting .. accent on WAS ! ..
Alex, thanks for the background and insight ..I like Rusty but feel he is his own worst enemy.. when you tell famous, well respected, outrageously successful, extremely talented, outwardly respectful and publicly polite, not to mention a hero to many , that he/they "aren't qualified to hold your picks" .. it just sounds bad.

I hope Rusty is ok.. but he obviously needs some help. I truly hope he finds some.

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2013 9:24 am    

Alex DePue wrote:

"I have been asked to describe both the dirtiest, raunchiest place I have ever played..."

That sounds like the Hollywood Bar, on West Fort St.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2013 12:41 pm    

He was listed to play at Dallas -- is he not doing this now ?? I always enjoyed his playing, despite his "issues" Very Happy
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Jamie Lennon

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2013 1:10 pm    

I heard mark knopfler asked chet atkins about a steel player and he recomended Paul. Rusty is a great friend and player...I hope he is ok.

www.georgettejones.net

Russ Wever

Kansas City
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2013 1:16 pm    

Quote:
of the two available steel guitarists in Detroit, MI
at the time Dire Straits was hiring. . . Rusty auditioned...
and they picked the OTHER guy... Paul Franklin

Paul was well established in Nashville and had long been
gone from Detroit at the time of the Dire Straits tour.

Perhaps this ~> click is the
post you're looking for.
~Russ

Alex DePue

California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2013 2:31 pm    

I wish SGF offered a "like" button. Some of these are just hilarious! I mean, let's face it, guys... alive or not, the man's a legend. -AD

Has no one heard anything at all? His FB page is blowin' up. -AD

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2013 2:57 pm    

For anyone who doesn't know Alex,above, is one of the country's top fiddle/road players. He is a technical master as well as being a seasoned professional road player. Alex,I played a show with you once opening and had a very nice musician's conversation with you. You won't remember, but this fluke from Buffalo always will.
Thank you very much for your kindness in talking to me in back of the stage. It meant more than you know.
The career of a pro musician I don't think has ever been more challenging then now. It's near impossible to make a living doing it. And for those who bang their head against the wall because it's in their soul it can be completely self defeating.
I pray for Rusty Rhodes tonight and will say a musicians prayer for him to find guidance. As George Benson said,"If by chance that special place, that you've been dreaming of, leads you to a lonely place, find your strength in LOVE". Lets us not find facination at Rusty's account.

Dave A. Burley

Franklin, In. USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2013 3:17 pm     Rusty Rhoades

Rusty emailed me on Facebook and told me he was not going to be in Dallas. He had a reason but I'll let Rusty tell that if he want's too.
Dave
P.O. Box #211
Franklin, Ind. 46131

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2013 4:11 pm     Re: Rusty Rhoades

Dave A. Burley wrote:
Rusty emailed me on Facebook and told me he was not going to be in Dallas. He had a reason but I'll let Rusty tell that if he want's too.

...on Facebook. Rusty is not a member here because he refused to follow the rules. He's threatened to take me to court over that.

Paul Norman

Washington, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2013 7:14 am    

I would not want a wife or children around his mouth.

Dave A. Burley

Franklin, In. USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2013 10:09 am     Rusty Rhoads

Buddy and Curly told the story on steel guitar. There are none, my opinion, that will ever come close to them. Julian Tharpe thought Nashville was picking on him the same as Rusty does. Nashville didn't pick on Julian, Julian picked on Nashville. I produced many sessions in Nashville both for artists and for the steel guitar. I hired a musician for what they could add to the session. There were several that I didn't hire the next time around basically because of their mouths.I flew the legendary Louie Bellson, drummer, to Nashville for the recording 'It's The first Time.' One of the steel players complained about Louies drumming. Do you think I would ever hire that steel player again? Not hardly. Rusty could hold his own in Nashville as far as talent goes but sometimes one's mouth get's in the way. I am guilty myself. Dave
P.O. Box #211
Franklin, Ind. 46131

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2013 11:03 am    

Being outspoken is not a luxury that is afforded to many professional musicians. We've all known many great pickers who've played their way into excellent gigs and very shortly talked their way out of them.

Don't ask me how I know... Crying or Very sad

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?