The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Which Player(S) Inspire You To Practice?
Freddy Rakes

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2018 6:58 am    

Ralph Mooney, Hal Rugg, Weldon Myrick, Buddy, Loyd, Papa John, the last three mentioned, no last names needed. The right hand phrasing of Papa John in my humble opinion is unmatched. Every time I set down behind my guitar, I learn something. To me, it's all about melody and timing.
Freddy in Va.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2018 9:29 am    

Bob Russell wrote:
Brett Lanier wrote:
Currently this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTqF_FUsNK8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Thanks so much for posting this. The amount of beauty and restraint and discipline and listening and sheer musicianship that went into that performance are just... staggering.

Gotta agree with everything Bob said about Brett's link. I would put this performance in the same category, even though it's difficult for me not to tear up every time I watch and listen to this video. Featuring one of the most underrated "girl singers" to ever come down the pike, this band was and still is the cat's meow. The pedal steel solo makes time stand still:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cixiEyfeJSg

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2018 11:33 am    

All of the usual suspects, of course. But I also get inspired by lesson material, especially Joe Wright’s and Paul Sutherland’s. And there are always lesser known local players who may not be considered great among the greats, but nonetheless are fine players who are working in good bands and provide incentive for me to keep at it. Oh, and forum members who post their homemade vids such as Doug Beaumier.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2019 6:57 pm    

Julian Tharp an Zane Beck

Cameron Fulp

Lindale Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2019 9:48 pm    

All these players share an equal yet individual roll for me and my playing,

Cowboy Eddie Long at the top of my list for many reasons. #1, I play his tuning. As I have studied the tuning seriously over the last two months it has begun to open up a whole new world for me. The fast e9 licks that he does , falling in to these huge BEAUTIFUL jazz chords are a perfect demonstration of the universal tuning. Heck, the fact that he plays the universal tuning like ONE BIG tuning is amazing. Not just E9 or B6th, but a tasteful mixture of both at the same time is amazing to me. Alot of times it takes a close ear to realize a lot of the things he plays in the “background” that are blended E9/B6th. Some of the chord phrasing he gets with blending bass notes with high notes is Excellent. The versatility of blending rock, jazz licks, banjo rolls, and country in the same set list is GREAT and has brought huge exposure and appeal to young musicians, some who don’t even particularly care for “traditional country” as there “go too” for music. Tone is big, fat and forward. He inspires me daily, and his inspiration by the late GREAT Julian Tharpe is also an inspirational player for ME. Cowboy is so humble and STILL teachable. That is very appealing to me, as we all need to remain humble and realize we are all lifelong students of this thing we call the Steel guitar. Anyone who can play steely dans Deacon Blues note for note on the steel is pretty talented haha...

2nd would be The Great Paul Franklin. The most recorded session Steeler in Nashville today speaks enough on its own. Paul’s teaching methods are phenomenal, and his smooth touch and bar slant techniques are INCREDIBLE! Paul is also an extremely versatile player obviously having a super career with the dire straits and doing sessions for so many different artist in many different genres.

3rd would be Mike Johnson, I love his touch and the way he can back a singer is unreal. Being the band stand leader for many Television shows such as country family reunion and more in the past ( I forget some of the other names but I’m about 95% positive he did more in the past) is truly a Mark of a musical genius such as theory and great leadership qualities from the stage. I also appreciate how he emulates the greatest players on earth such as emmons, Chalker, and Lloyd green. He can play one of there licks almost note for note, slant for slant etc etc, but still manages to put his own creative twist on it is GREAT!

Last but not least on my mind is the great RANDY BEAVERS. His phrasing, diligence and versatility on the E9th neck specifically inspires me so much. If I ever got a block in my playing I would refer back to the thought “how would Randy approach this?” His approach on the E9 neck is mastery level and the way he has created so many chord options on the tuning blending c6th sounds Is amazing. When he plays “count my blessings” my hairs on my neck always stand up. I hope to meet him one day and see him play live.

Sorry for the book guys, I can get a little passionate about these topics. Thank you Mickey for starting this great thread. There are so many more players I could name, these are just a few that I have inspired me in my musical journey.

Cam

Steve French

Roseville CA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2019 9:32 pm    

Just saw Johnny Cox’s set at the SWSGA gathering. I am definitely inspired to practice! Wish I could play like that! 😊

John Butler

Warrior River, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2019 6:48 pm     Inspire you to practice

I love listening to all the great players and trying to learn from each of them. But when listen to Scott Anderson, I want to sit down and get to work! And whenever you (Mickey) zero-in on a song I like, I stay with you till I get it as close as I can. Love your teaching method. John

Thiel Hatt

Utah, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2019 8:38 pm    

For me, initially it was Jerry Byrd... Later Buddy Emmons and LLoyd Green and Ron Elliott and on goes the list !

Charlie Thompson

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2019 5:08 am    

Just about anytime I hear something I don't already know I am inspired to try and learn it, including a whole lot of Mickey Adams videos. Thanks again!

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2020 9:32 am    

The players who inspire me are numerous. Buddy E, Buck Reid, Mike Johnson, Lloyd Green, Steve Palousek, Tommy White, Paul Franklin and many others. The only steel player who inspires me to drop everything and sit behind my guitar is Curly Chalker. His right hand technique is way beyond awesome.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Tom Brumley

Nixa, Mo, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2020 7:49 am    

Tom Brumley, Tom Brumley, Tom Brumley Very Happy

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2020 9:59 am    

Lloyd Green and the Big "E" for sure and many more.

John Drury

Gallatin, Tn USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2020 4:36 pm    

My list is a mile long, but lately It has been David Hartley that keeps me playing on into the wee hours.
NTSGA #3

"Practice cures most tone issues" ~ John Suhr

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2020 5:04 pm    

I never practice but I should I guess. Singers and record producers inspire me the most because the better I sound on the last record the better chance I got of being called on the next record. On second thought I do practice. It's just practicing under a microscope trying to make a record. While recording I got time to perfect those licks.
Now if I had to listen to only one steel player for 6 months I'd say give me all the Lloyd Green albums you got. There's just something about his touch on a steel that moves my soul. Lloyd is my inspiration and has been since the 60's.

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2020 10:05 am    

For me, the players that play with the most feeling & best tone are Dickey Overbey & Lloyd. Chills up my back kind of playing.

Carl Mesrobian

Salem, Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2020 1:48 pm    

Lots of them - Buddy Emmons, Lloyd Green, Doug Jernigan, Greg Leisz, Tony Arrowood, on and on.. Mike Daley, Bruce Bouton, Paul Franklin, Tommy White.

"The better it gets, the fewer of us know it." Ray Brown

John Drury

Gallatin, Tn USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2020 10:01 pm    

Carl Mesrobian wrote:
Lots of them - Buddy Emmons, Lloyd Green, Doug Jernigan, Greg Leisz, Tony Arrowood, on and on.. Mike Daley, Bruce Bouton, Paul Franklin, Tommy White.

Carl,
Greg Leisz is the MAN!
NTSGA #3

"Practice cures most tone issues" ~ John Suhr

MIchael Bean

North Of Boston
Post  Posted 8 May 2020 8:21 am    

Lately, Buddy Emmons. For the past month and a half I've been learning C6, applied to Uni-12. I've been getting healthy doses of Buddy's Swingin' series albums, as well as the numerous performance videos available online.

Add a dollop of John Hughey.

My mind is being expanded regularly, and I'm loving it.

MIchael Bean

North Of Boston
Post  Posted 22 May 2020 5:41 am    

I have to add Vance Terry to the list. Listening to Brisbane Bop 2 is really blowing me away and I can't wait to work on some of his stuff.