The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Zum Encore
Al Meyers

Downey, California
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2021 1:07 pm    

Can you members provide your thoughts about the Zum Encore pedal steel? Thanks, Al

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2021 2:45 pm    

Use the 'search' function on here. The Zum Encore is an exceptionally good instrument and it has been discussed in great depth in previous threads.

The only problem with them now is actually getting hold of one; they're a real success story.

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2021 10:22 am    

Al,
The Encore is an affordable pro model steel w/ five knee levers and three floor pedals with option to add a fourth as well as optional arm pad. Unlike the Stage One the Encore’s setup can be changed. For the money it can’t be beat.
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

Al Meyers

Downey, California
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2021 10:37 am    

Roger Rettig wrote:
Use the 'search' function on here. The Zum Encore is an exceptionally good instrument and it has been discussed in great depth in previous threads.

The only problem with them now is actually getting hold of one; they're a real success story.

Thanks Roger. I do play the Day setup also.

Al Meyers

Downey, California
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2021 10:37 am    

Patrick Huey wrote:
Al,
The Encore is an affordable pro model steel w/ five knee levers and three floor pedals with option to add a fourth as well as optional arm pad. Unlike the Stage One the Encore’s setup can be changed. For the money it can’t be beat.

I missed getting a 2020 model for around $2000 just this week.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2021 4:08 am    

great guitars

Lee Warren

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2021 5:19 am    

Hi Al,
Since you’re asking, I love my Encore!
It’s ‘fully loaded’ with 4 pedals, 5 knee levers and armrest.
The build quality and functionality is excellent and the sound rivals my other steel guitars.
It’s also really light!
On top of this, Doug Earnest is a great guy to deal with that stands behind his products 100%.
Lee

Al Meyers

Downey, California
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2021 9:09 am     Zum Encore

Lee Warren wrote:
Hi Al,
Since you’re asking, I love my Encore!
It’s ‘fully loaded’ with 4 pedals, 5 knee levers and armrest.
The build quality and functionality is excellent and the sound rivals my other steel guitars.
It’s also really light!
On top of this, Doug Earnest is a great guy to deal with that stands behind his products 100%.
Lee

I haven't been able to find a website for Zum.

Patrick Timmins

Seattle
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2021 9:32 am    

Here it is. It's under the Stage One name.

http://www.stageonesteelguitars.com/encore_pedal_steel_guitar

Al Meyers

Downey, California
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2021 9:55 am    

Patrick Timmins wrote:
Here it is. It's under the Stage One name.

http://www.stageonesteelguitars.com/encore_pedal_steel_guitar

Great! Thank you!

Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2021 10:19 am    

Love mine.
My teacher thinks it's great and plays better than his Emmons. Sounds good, plays easy. I have a woodgrain-mica finish that I think is particularly attractive.

One of the biggest indicators of it's quality is that it's so in-demand that used ones sell for about the cost of new ones. It's one of the only pieces of music gear I have that's currently going for more than it cost new.

Clarifying "Zum"/website/etc, know that it is not actually made by Mr. Zumsteg who has largely retired from making steels. It's produced by his trusted friend who was granted the right to produce the Zum student model as "Stage One" and then later the "Encore" model. No knock on the guitar though, it's brilliantly designed and Doug does a fantastic job producing it.

Chicago Valley Railroad. Trainspotting and Bargain Hunting...
https://chicagovalleyrailroad.blogspot.com/

Al Meyers

Downey, California
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2021 11:51 am    

Karl Paulsen wrote:
Love mine.
My teacher thinks it's great and plays better than his Emmons. Sounds good, plays easy. I have a woodgrain-mica finish that I think is particularly attractive.

One of the biggest indicators of it's quality is that it's so in-demand that used ones sell for about the cost of new ones. It's one of the only pieces of music gear I have that's currently going for more than it cost new.

Clarifying "Zum"/website/etc, know that it is not actually made by Mr. Zumsteg who has largely retired from making steels. It's produced by his trusted friend who was granted the right to produce the Zum student model as "Stage One" and then later the "Encore" model. No knock on the guitar though, it's brilliantly designed and Doug does a fantastic job producing it.

Thanks Doug. Good info!

Al Meyers

Downey, California
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2021 11:52 am    

[quote="Al Meyers"]
Karl Paulsen wrote:
Love mine.

I mean, thanks Karl! Good info!

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2021 12:22 pm    

I've had two Encores on my bench for setup changes and general maintenance (all steels need occasional maintenance -- mostly, definitely, stuff the owner can & should do but I totally understand if someone lacks the confidence and would prefer bringing it to someone who knows what they're doing).
The first belonged to a friend who bought it totally independent of me. The second was a purchase that I facilitated for another friend, based on how much I dug the first Encore. It is a really nice steel. The few places where Doug does things to make the guitar affordable do not in any way compromise the playability or stability of the guitar.

Al Meyers

Downey, California
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2021 12:28 pm    

Jon Light wrote:
I've had two Encores on my bench for setup changes and general maintenance (all steels need occasional maintenance -- mostly, definitely, stuff the owner can & should do but I totally understand if someone lacks the confidence and would prefer bringing it to someone who knows what they're doing).
The first belonged to a friend who bought it totally independent of me. The second was a purchase that I facilitated for another friend, based on how much I dug the first Encore. It is a really nice steel. The few places where Doug does things to make the guitar affordable do not in any way compromise the playability or stability of the guitar.

Thanks very much Jon!

James Taylor

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2021 11:08 am    

This is a great guitar and I love mine. JAMES TAYLOR