The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Zum Encore
Mark McCornack

California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2019 5:19 pm    

Yes, Michael. I believe we made a good choice with the Encore. I’m still keeping my Sho~Bud Pro-I that I bought new in the early 1970’s, but it is pretty much in retirement now. I’ll hang on to it for sentimental reasons, but it lives in its case full time at this point. The Bud still sounds great and looks great, but from the standpoint of the practicalities of tuning, setup, and general user-friendlines, the Encore just has it beat hands down.
We done good! Whoa!

Fred Glave

McHenry, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2019 9:55 am    

[quote="Roger Rettig"]Michael:

I have one of the earliest Encores (#008). It's black with 3+5. (I see from my records that my Encore was delivered in December, 2012.)

Roger, mine is serial number #0030. It is black with 3+5 too! I'll never sell it. I just picked up a Excel D-10 so sadly I'll probably be letting go of my Stage One soon.

James Taylor

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2020 12:51 pm    

Hi Mark,
How do you compare the tone to of your Encore to your Sho-Bud and what amplifier do you use???

JAMES TAYLOR

Mark McCornack

California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2020 1:32 pm    

Hi James,
The Sho-Bud is a little darker tone if I needed to grope for a singular adjective. Both guitars are nice sounding. I went with the humbucker pickup on the Encore and I’d say the Encore is overall less noisy, though the Bud isn’t really bad either.
On Amps, I have a tube Twin reissue and an old original 65 Deluxe Reverb. I use the Deluxe most of the time and don’t play out where it needs to be loud. I have done some studio work with the encore and have always gone DI.
Mark

James Taylor

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2020 4:37 am    

HI Mark,
Thank you for that information as I always wondered how they compared with tone.

BEST WISHES

JAMES TAYLOR

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2020 5:46 am    

This is a vague generalization but tone - or the lack thereof - has never been an issue when I've chosen to take either my Emmons or my Encore to a job (I'm down to just two steels these days).

Obviously, if I think I might need the C6 neck, then it has to be the Emmons. Another consideration is appearance; if I'm highly visible on-stage in a theatrical production then I might choose the Emmons over the Encore as the Zum, while it's very presentable, has a distinctly 'utilitarian' look.

Tone, though? The Zum lacks nothing and I sometimes convince myself that I marginally prefer its tone to that of my LeGrande.

James Taylor

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2020 9:36 am    

Hi Roger,
Thank you for your input and very interesting insight into these two excellent guitars.

BEST WISHES JAMES TAYLOR

Mark McCornack

California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2020 11:10 am    

James,
I’ll second Roger’s observations. The Sho~Bud Pro-1 is lovely figured maple where the Encore is, as Roger said, more “utilitarian”, though by no means unattractive. I have to say though, the Encore is by far my “go-to” guitar these days of the two guitars I own.
I bought the Bud new back in 1974, and I have a lot of sentimental attachment tied up in this guitar, and it does sound and play great. The biggest thing that keeps it in the case most of the time these days is that Encore is much less quirky when it comes to pedal tuning and stability. Particularly true for single rod split lash up necessitated by a single-raise, single-drop changer on the Sho~Bud. Really, as a generally reliable instrument, I think the Encore is overall superior. The Sho~Bud definitely wins the Pretty Blond contest though. I love em both, but I mostly play the Encore. Mr. Green

James Taylor

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2020 12:30 pm    

Hi Mark,

A very interesting piece of information and it is good to know this about the two guitars as I live up north in Scotland and I never ever came in touch with anyone up this way whoever owned one.

Therefore all my knowledge is credited to this excellent forum and members like yourself who keep educating me about this incredible instrument.

EVERY BEST WISH

JAMES TAYLOR

Mark McCornack

California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2020 4:26 pm    

Hi James,
I think it best to put my inputs strictly into the “opinion” toolbox rather than the “knowledge” box. I don’t “know” all that much about these instruments. These are just my notions about these guitars, and may differ from others. There are lots of Forumites that have had their hands on a wide variety of instruments, and I’m not one of them. There does seem to be a pretty wide consensus though that our Encores are a pretty sweet deal. Rolling Eyes

James Taylor

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2020 11:40 pm    

Hi Mark,
Thank you once again for your honesty and your views too.

I bought this guitar around six years ago with little experience of them and my whole education on this fine instrument has been on this wonderful forum with much expertise very close at hand. If this forum had all been around forty years ago it would have made a tremendous difference for me and perhaps others in Scotland as well.

Whatever, my entire history of the pedal steel and in choosing this particular model is now well recorded in this blog I have created here due to this excellent forum.

Anyway, Mark thanking you once again as your input is very educational as I see it and everyone's viewpoint is valuable.

EVERY BEST WISH AND SUCCESS

JAMES TAYLOR

Gary Guzzardo

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2021 2:49 pm    

I just Bought Mine yesterday I had a Emmons Legrand II I like this guitar as much or more . Tone to bone Very smooth action Like butter

James Taylor

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 3 May 2021 12:01 am    

Hi, I made the discovery of the unique sound of the pedal steel and was so desperate to understand this lovely instrument and then just had to own one.

After a long investigation and asking for expert advice I decided to go with the majority of experts and so I bought an Encore and it has been the love of my life ever since.

I am getting old now and my hands are not as nimble as they used to be and I am bothered with weariness and tiredness that this changing physical condition that bothers humankind but the beautiful sound created by this instrument is an inspiration I am glad of and deeply touched by its higher vibrations.

Well done to all involved in its construction and development and to all those who have mastered its angelic string sounds.

Best wishes to all and may this world become a far better place with these lovely instruments heavenly sounds.

Thank you Bob for this lovely Forum JAMES TAYLOR

James Taylor

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 8 May 2021 2:18 am    

Hi Garry,
what kind of strings have you got on your guitar and what is your experience with them?

JAMES TAYLOR

James Taylor

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2021 11:28 am     Zum Encore

Hi,
I still love this instrument as it has a beauty so rich in a tone that keeps inspiring me.JAMES