The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  New BIG Tuning Wrench---By Michael Yahl
Carl Williams

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2012 7:02 pm    

Hello All,
I'd like to be the first to announce that Michael Yahl will be making the BIG Tuning Wrench as I'm closing out my sales of the wrench which I started in 2007. Most of you have seen Michael's work and it's nothing short of superb craftsmanship. He's also a fine gentleman whose reputation for customer service is top shelf. Thanks to so many of you who have just been great over the years with repeat business and just word-of-mouth advertising for me. The BIG Wrench is around the world now and has been/is now in the hands of beginners like myself to our Masters of the Steel. Last but certainly not least, b0b, you've been a supporter of the wrench in so many ways and for that, I'm thankful to you sir for what you and Mrs. Lee continue to do for us all. I'll be making my last donation to the Forum for wrench sales tonight. My very best to you all and Michael, here's wishing you continued success with the BIG Tuning Wrench. Your brother and friend, Carl Williams

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2012 8:20 pm    

Well, whoever supplies the Big Wenches to our steel guitar community is ALL RIGHT with me! Thank you, Carl, for your service, and welcome Michael!

Michael Yahl

Troy, Texas!
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2012 7:08 am    

Thanks Jim!

I'm looking forward to offering these in addition to all of the other wrench combinations that I already have.

I'm proud to continue on with the great product that Carl has offered for so long.

PSG PARTS
http://www.psgparts.com/

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2012 8:16 pm    

Could somebody post a picture?

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2012 8:23 pm    

I got yer Big Tuning Wench right here, Mike.

Glenn Uhler

Trenton, New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2012 12:09 pm     Off topic, but great pic!

Slightly off topic, but a great picture, Jim! The padlock on her chasity belt at the bottom of the pic is priceless, too.

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2012 2:02 pm    

Thanx for the ride Carl - it was a good one Winking

Michael Yahl

Troy, Texas!
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2012 2:41 pm    

GRRRRR!!!! I love a woman with a big......

Wrench!

In the the trades we just refer those as a "BFW"!

Anyway, here's a picture of the new wrench. Just finished this prototype 20 min. ago. They will have the same overall dimensions as the original.
The double red lines denote a 5mm socket.

NOT IN PRODUCTION AS YET.

Big THANKS to Carl for allowing me to make these.

PSG PARTS

Carl Williams

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2012 4:02 pm     Kudos

Hey Michael,
I'm honored to be the VERY first to acknowledge the NEW/IMPROVED BIG Tuning Wrench! You've hit it out of the park for sure and this is the very reason I wanted to hand off the wrench to you. Press on Brother, Press on! Best of Luck and continued success....Carl

Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2012 6:27 am    

Michael...I will definitely be saving up to get one of those at the AZ show! Cool

Michael Yahl

Troy, Texas!
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2012 6:37 am    

I should have a good supply put up by then.

Thanks Carl!

Rick, sorry I missed you a couple weeks ago. I spent a Saturday at Palenscars but went down to Larry's Beach Club and watched Mr. Haacker play the night before. Maybe next time.

PSG PARTS

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2012 9:09 am    

For those who haven't tried one, the (much) larger diameter handle makes these wrenches very easy to grab and turn, especially handy if you have a sticking nylon tuner, or one you haven't moved in a while.
I have one of Carl's originals, and also several of Michael's other wrenches, and they're all outstanding. Looks like the new version will be really nice.
Best wishes to both of you and thanks for outstanding products!

Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2012 4:01 pm    

Hey Michael...I was bummed about the bad timing....I had pretty good paying gigs elsewhere both days. Hope you had fun, and come back to visit us again sometime!

Save one of your wrenches for me in AZ!

Carl Williams

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2012 2:01 pm     New/Improved BIG Tuning Wrench

I have the privilege and honor of having Michael Yahl's VERY FIRST BIG Tuning Wrench! I received it today from Michael and folks, this wrench is first class, and is a superb upgrade to the old wrench I've sold here for the past few years. Congratulations once again Michael for adding this tool to your already fine inventory...Carl
P.S. I just tried it on my steel and it fits perfect!!

Michael Yahl

Troy, Texas!
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2012 3:18 pm    

Glad you like it Carl.

The one you have in your hand is the one on the left in the picture above.

I hope to start running them about 3 weeks from now.

PSG PARTS

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2012 11:10 pm    

Michael, the craftsmanship looks wonderful, good luck, and I'll be picking up at least one when they go on the market. I have 2 of Carl's, love them.

Still would like to see a spring-loaded ball bearing tension thingy on the interior of the shaft to better keep the heavy wrench on the tuning collars. When my Big Wrench falls off, and it often does when tuning, it really lands with a startling thud!

Not sure how feasible that feature is, but some way to make the wrench stay on better is all I'm interested in seeing realized.

Will you be at the January SWSGA show in Phoenix to show and sell?

Carl Williams

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2012 5:30 am     BIG Wrench Modification

Hi John,
Thanks for posting your comments on the wrench and yes, do yourself a favor and get one of Michael's wrenches...he's put a more professional design on his version of the wrench and it's fantastic! On your suggested mod to the wrench, it's a good one for sure...during my five years of selling the wrench on the Forum, I had several dandy ideas but, and here's the old proverbial "butt", it would have raised the price of the wrench a bit too much. Heck, I sent my price quote to numerous steelers who inquired about the wrench and never heard back. Now, I would say it was 75% who thought the wrench wasn't worth the money and I fully understand that. The smaller versions of the wrench are going for $5 and I used one for 35 years and it worked just fine. The difference obviously is the BIGGER GRIP which as a "Junior Senior" now, I appreciate alot more! Winking Anyway, thanks for your support of the wrench and for your input/ideas. Carl
p.s. Regarding the wrench falling off...it's rare that I've had this happen and when it did, I had forgotten to take the wrench off and starting playing a fast tune and "bam" it hit the floor! Smile

Michael Yahl

Troy, Texas!
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2012 5:55 am    

Thanks John!

Yes, I'll be at the Phoenix show with all my wares.

After I made the prototypes I became aware of the heft that these wrenches have and already have a design to lighten them up. Unfortunately that's not going to happen until I get a CNC lathe, hopefully next year.

As far as a retention device, my mind raced as soon as I read that but ultimately, as Carl stated, I believe that the cost to do that would make the overall price prohibitive.

PSG PARTS

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2012 6:28 am    

Just drill holes in the handle to make it a lot lighter. Easier said than done on a production basis though.
5mm will fit Stage One and ZumSteel Encore guitars. The tuning nuts on those are supposed to be 3/16", and they are, but they are a fat 3/16".
These wrenches are a good product.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2012 10:33 am    

Doug, when is the Encore being released, or where can I learn more about it? I always having students looking for a reasonably priced and weighted E9 steel.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2012 10:39 am    

I have no complaints about the weight of Carl's BW. And yes, the wrench only falls off when I leave them on the tuning nuts, but I often do that as I refine a string's tuning. Guess I'll have to break that habit to avoid the big bang. Wink

The Big Wrench is a fabulous improvement over all other tuning wrenches, folks, and at Carl's $15 price point, a true bargain, imho. Michael's new design looks very elegant.

Roger Dillingham

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2012 6:39 am     Big Wheel Tuning Wrench

Hey Michael, please let us know as soon as these are available! I would definitely like to have one of the 5mm models. Thanks! Roger Very Happy Very Happy

KENNY KRUPNICK

Grove City,Ohio
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2012 10:24 am    

I'd like to have 2 of those. Very Happy

Chuck Morel

Pottersville, New York
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2012 11:14 am     Big wrench

I'm ready for mine as soon as they are available and as long as they work on a Sierra Crown. Please advise at your earliest convenience. Thanks. Chuck M.

Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2012 11:08 am    

HI CHUCK,

You Might Be Out Of Luck. The Standard Wrench Is 3/16" & Sierra Guitars Use A 1/4" Wrench.
I Don't Know If Michael Intends To Offer 1/4" Wrenches. ???

Roger