The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lowell George's open A tuning...
Jon Sawyer

Richmond, California
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2012 1:12 pm    

Hello, as green as I am on E tuning and steel guitar in general, lately I've been obsessing on Lowell George's tone and am wanting to experiment with his open A tuning/sound.

I found this interview transcription from Guitar Player magazine 1976.

<i>You are an unusual guitarist because you stick exclusively to slide playing on stage. When did you begin playing, and how do you account for your unique sound ?</i><br>

Actually, I was in a session, and I used to play a lot of open D tuning, and a friend of mine said "Watch this." He tuned the A string down to G, and in fact it was an open G tuning! the he went, "see this!" and he picked up an old flower vase and went whee!!! I said to myself, "That's it!" and that's what started it about six years ago. I use an open A tuning which is an open G tuning moved up a whole step. Instead of moving the first, fifth, and sixth string down, I leave them alone and move all the other strings up a whole step. There's a lot more tension on the strings, and it gets a much cleaner and brighter sound.

<hr>
and I see on Brad's page of steel where Open A tuning is noted as this:

E
C#
A
E
C#
A

I couldn't quite decipher Lowell's explanation about the A string; moving the first, fifth, and sixth string down and leaving the others alone. Was he referring the change from open G to open D?

Anyway, if anybody knows if that open A tuning noted above is the same one Lowell used? Also, can anybody recommend any steel guitarists and/or cd's that feature open A tuning?

BTW, the full interview is here: http://www.lynx.bc.ca/~jc/lowell.html

Thanks in advance for any info, Jon Sawyer

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2012 2:14 pm    

Moved to Music from Steel Without Pedals, as the great Lowell George never played lap steel (as far as I know).

I believe the tuning I've listed on my website is valid, but if you search for "lowell george tuning" you'll find many different interpretations, including this video of him discussing his tuning and technique.

Jon Sawyer

Richmond, California
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2012 2:32 pm    

TY

Alvin Blaine

Picture Rocks, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2012 2:55 pm     Re: Lowell George's open A tuning...

Jon Sawyer wrote:
Hello, as green as I am on E tuning and steel guitar in general, lately I've been obsessing on Lowell George's tone and am wanting to experiment with his open A tuning/sound.

I found this interview transcription from Guitar Player magazine 1976.

<i>You are an unusual guitarist because you stick exclusively to slide playing on stage. When did you begin playing, and how do you account for your unique sound ?</i><br>

Actually, I was in a session, and I used to play a lot of open D tuning, and a friend of mine said "Watch this." He tuned the A string down to G, and in fact it was an open G tuning! the he went, "see this!" and he picked up an old flower vase and went whee!!! I said to myself, "That's it!" and that's what started it about six years ago. I use an open A tuning which is an open G tuning moved up a whole step. Instead of moving the first, fifth, and sixth string down, I leave them alone and move all the other strings up a whole step. There's a lot more tension on the strings, and it gets a much cleaner and brighter sound.

<hr>
and I see on Brad's page of steel where Open A tuning is noted as this:

E
C#
A
E
C#
A

I couldn't quite decipher Lowell's explanation about the A string; moving the first, fifth, and sixth string down and leaving the others alone. Was he referring the change from open G to open D?

Anyway, if anybody knows if that open A tuning noted above is the same one Lowell used? Also, can anybody recommend any steel guitarists and/or cd's that feature open A tuning?

BTW, the full interview is here: http://www.lynx.bc.ca/~jc/lowell.html

Thanks in advance for any info, Jon Sawyer

That tuning is the standard bluegrass dobro tuning just up a whole step, instead of GBDGBD. So you could just listen to just about any lap style resophonic(Dobro) player and learn something.

Michael Maddex

Northern New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2012 3:52 pm     open A tuning ...

Jon Sawyer wrote:
... I use an open A tuning which is an open G tuning moved up a whole step. Instead of moving the first, fifth, and sixth string down, I leave them alone and move all the other strings up a whole step. ...

I believe what Lowell is describing here would give this tuning:

<tt>E
C# (up one whole tone from B)
A (up one whole tone from G)
E (up one whole tone from D)
A
E </tt>

This tuning is simply up one whole tone from the tuning often called 'Open G' or 'Spanish'. It works great for finger-style, slide or lap-style. This was Muddy's preferred tuning in his acoustic days. HTH.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2012 4:49 pm    

That's right, Lowell's 6th string was an E. Spent a lot of time with his records in the 80s.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2012 5:00 am    

Most of the old blues guys played open G (this is not the same as the dobro open G) , less open D. It is the slide tuning you hear on Robert Johnson records and pretty much the only tuning I used when I was playing bottle neck when I was used to play National tricone. Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson, pretty much any of the old delta or chicago blues guys plays in open G.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2012 6:51 am    

I think Michael is right.
Seems to work well on "Lafayette Railroad":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWJhbCFXrdc

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2012 7:48 am    

Due to 54-year-old fingers rode hard & put up wet, I'm going fully slide-centric and yes, Lowell is

E
C#
A
E
A
E

and rascally Keith is

D
B
G
D
G
???

Duane & Jimmy

E
B
G#
E
B
E

capo & a Hipshot, you're good to go.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2012 7:56 am    

The A tuning was the original Hawaiian tuning for lap steel. There is an A "high bass" and an A "low bass". tuning. I'm not sure which came first.
I tune my resonators to A. There was a dobro player on the Grand Ole Opry who used an A tuning. I don't know if it was Cousin Jody or Bashful Brother Oswald.

John Mulligan

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2012 4:06 pm    

I'm pretty sure that in the video clip Lowell says he tunes:

D
G
D
G
B
G

Seems weird, but I'm sure that is what he says.

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2012 5:14 pm    

I interpreted from the video Lowell's version of Open G as:

low to high: D-G-D-G-B-G

Because just prior to spelling out that tuning he talked about standard tuning as in E-A-D-G-B-E, low-to-high, the way I think most of us learned it, with helpful hints like "Eat A Darn Good Breakfast Early."

Brother Oswald used Open A, and Cousin Jody might have as well, don't know - but Os most definitely did.

Steve Ahola

Concord, California
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2012 9:05 pm    

Mark Eaton wrote:

That is two frets down from the Open A (low bass) tuning posted earlier in the thread:

low to high: E-A-E-A-C#-A

I think it is common for slide players to move their preferred tunings up or down 2 frets to accommodate the range of a singer or a song.

Steve Ahola

P.S. Although Lowell George evidently never played lap steel I think that his playing transfers over to lap steel quite well, and that rock and blues guys learning lap steel would do well to study his playing.

P.P.S. As for Keith Richards' tuning it is just the 5 notes listed. My question is which string did he drop- the first string or the sixth string? I wonder if he has custom teles that are designed for just 5 strings...

Recordings on electric guitar:
http://www.box.net/blue-diamonds
http://www.box.net/the-culprits

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2012 1:51 am    

He dropped the bottom string, there was always somebody else to get those notes... he has some 10-string acoustics too. Like most rock stars nowadays he gets an interesting custom build from some luthier or another, plays it for a tour and a few YouTube hits and the next month he's got one just like it that says "Martin" or "Gibson" on it. It must be an agonizing problem, constantly having people send you fantastic guitars and trying to decide which one to play.

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2012 5:42 am    

Great thread but help me out here.

LG's solo on the song "Sailin' Shoes" sure sounds like a resonator to me. Is there any evidence that he ever played or recorded with one?

Second, if I'm not mistaken "Sailin' Shoes" is in the key of C so how does that square with the tunings mentioned above? Did he use the fifth fret in a G tuning as home base?

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2012 5:58 am    

In Lowell George's words from a Guitar Player interview:

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2012 6:03 am    

Frank Freniere wrote:
Great thread but help me out here.

LG's solo on the song "Sailin' Shoes" sure sounds like a resonator to me. Is there any evidence that he ever played or recorded with one?

Second, if I'm not mistaken "Sailin' Shoes" is in the key of C so how does that square with the tunings mentioned above? Did he use the fifth fret in a G tuning as home base?

Frank, with regard to that recording, he's playing an acoustic guitar tuned down lower--in fact I think I can hear him play a low C, so I'm not sure of the tuning there. I would guess he tuned to C, which would be Vestapol tuning (D) tuned down a whole step. I wish I had the recording with me, but I don't. On the live recording of Sailin' Shoes on Waiting For Columbus, they play it in A and Lowell is tuned to A tuning.

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2012 6:11 am    

Vestapol tuning?! I learn something new every day.

But wouldn't the strings be awfully floppy in C? Especially when the bar is applied?

When I get home tonight I'll try to post the studio recording of the solo.

Thanks, Mike.

Jon Sawyer

Richmond, California
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2012 8:37 am    

That would make sense to me, as a lot of the video footage I have seen shows Lowell using a capo on his 2nd fret.

Steve Ahola wrote:
Mark Eaton wrote:

That is two frets down from the Open A (low bass) tuning posted earlier in the thread:

low to high: E-A-E-A-C#-A

I think it is common for slide players to move their preferred tunings up or down 2 frets to accommodate the range of a singer or a song.

Steve Ahola

P.S. Although Lowell George evidently never played lap steel I think that his playing transfers over to lap steel quite well, and that rock and blues guys learning lap steel would do well to study his playing.

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2012 4:27 pm    

Here's the "Sailin' Shoes" solo from the album of the same name. It just sounds so different from the slide guitar in, say, "Mercury Blues" by Alan Jackson.

Here's Vestapol.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2012 4:46 pm    

Definitely Vestapol (but I think down a whole step)tuning on that solo. You can hear in the second verse (and right after the solo) the acoustic slide guitar is playing the low C.

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2012 4:43 am    

I have one of my Epiphone Les Pauls fitted with Keith/Scruggs tuners on all six strings. Each one lowers the string a whole step except the third string which I lower a half step from G to F#. With this set up I can get the complete open D, open G, dropped or double dropped D, D A D G A D and other uses. I sometimes when playing in C will lower the 4th and 5th strings to C and G respectively and solo on the 1st three strings and use the 5th and 6th for "drone" notes. This guitar also has a set of Bigsby Palm Pedals on it as well as a phase switch and coil tap on board. I call this guitar my "Buck Trent" LP. Here's some shots of it..........JH in Va.

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2012 5:46 am    

That is one tricked-out ax, Jerry.

Do you ever do slide on it?

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2012 9:45 am    

Hey Frank, yes, the open D and G tunings are used mostly for slide. Sometimes I do a Dobro part with a metal slide in the G tuning. For that I turn on the phase switch for that nasal sound and it does a pretty fair Dobro sound.........JH in Va.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2012 9:06 am    

If my ears and eyes aren't mistaken, E.C. uses this tuning also on "Motherless Chidren":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIdpLi7BSu4